Polite & Friendly's

in

Computer turning off

TazmanThu Oct 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Need some quick help on this.  Came home and my computer screen was "locked". Looked like computer was running but mouse wasn't moving and keyboard strokes weren't working. So, I shut it down and started it back up. It turned off in seconds, then kept trying to turn on and went off several times. I then turned off the switch on my psu and unplugged it. Went back down an hour later, plugged it back in, flipped switch and hit power button. Does the exact same thing, turns on, runs for a second or two like it is going to boot up, then just shuts down. It keeps cycling through that. So, I have it unplugged and I am going to open it, clean it, make sure everything is connected, and see what happens. Just want any other thoughts???

I have a video of the on/off cycle on my iPhone...but not sure how to post it!!!

Taz
Quote Post

Firecrackr1Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:20 am

Check all your connections inside the pc, make sure all memory sticks are locked.
Quote Post

SMedicFri Oct 09, 2015 12:46 am

it sounds possibly that your registry went scrambled when you forced it down during the lockup, was a common issue in windows 7 and before, hope you have a good backup, if not re-install on a new drive and save old drive to recover...

and yes the other issue with startups could be a bad memory stick or stick need reseated, but doesnt happen to often...
Quote Post

TazmanFri Oct 09, 2015 1:39 am

Working with Johhny...started by unplugging devices and trying to start it...got all the way down to MOBO...still cycling on/off. Unplugged power switch and started it manually...still happening. Saw this and reseated memory sticks and same thing.

As for the registry piece, I had upgraded to Win10, so no longer on 7. As for the HDD, the computer doesn't even post, so can't even get the chance to find out if it is a bad HDD.

So it is probably either a bad PSU or MOBO?!?!

Taz
Quote Post

JohnnyFri Oct 09, 2015 2:08 am

Yup but grab a tester that plugs in to your psu. There like 8 dollars on eBay. It has nothing to do with your registry that's windows. Your system  isn't posting that's a whole different problem.
Quote Post

TazmanFri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 am

Quick search on a computer build...just listing parts...tell me what you think

Computer Build
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
Intel I7-4790k
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
Thermaltake ToughPower 850
Crucial MC200 250 SSD

Taz
Quote Post

REFORMFri Oct 09, 2015 4:03 am

Ya....220, 221, whatever it takes.

REFORM
Quote Post

xVoodooFri Oct 09, 2015 12:24 pm

If its not posting could be vid card or HD would be the most common cause other than RAM. Have you tried another HD or GPU?
Quote Post

Forums ©