GTPer View latest post
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:23 am
Snap71 View latest post
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm
mr-t View latest post

Cloning OPS to SSD didn't work and now rig is unusable HELP

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:59 pm
Hey guys!

I am really stuck right now.  My gaming computer has been packed away for a year because we sold our old then bought a new home.  Lots of other family drama delayed getting gaming system up and running as well.  

When I started getting my office together, I decided to upgrade the rig because my HD space was disappearing fast.  I was running off of a 500 GB HD.  Went and bought a 500 GB SSD and a 3 TB HD.  The plan was to transfer the operating system to the SSD and everything else to the 3 TB drive.  Reformat the original 500 GB HD to use as a music drive to back up all of my 1000+ music CDs and family pics.  That was the plan anyway.

When I used the program that WD has to clone HD to SSD, it said it worked but will not boot off the SSD.  The system sees the SSD, but won't boot off of it.

I did go into the bios and change the boot order, but that still did not work.  I know I am being vague because I am at my work office and this was 5 or 6 weeks ago.

I even tried to reformat the SSD to start from scratch and the program won't let me do that either!

So right now my system is dead in the water.  Can't play old games, can't play Alphas and Betas of new games, plus have only sporadic time to work on it which doesn't help.

If anyone thinks they can help me or at least take a crack at it, I would really love to set up an appointment time on the phone and see if I can get this rig back up and running.  I know just enough to be a danger to my CPU!

I am running Windows 10 and have an Intel 5i CPU...I think I have 8 GB RAM.

Thanks!

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm
I went through the same problem about 2 weeks ago. I used a Samsung SSD and Windows 10. System was about unusable. I finally did a clean install of 10 and that solved the problem

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:49 pm
Pigpen, did you do the reinstall straight to the SSD?

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:39 pm
What OS are you using? Windows 7 or Windows 10?

If you can't take the pain, maybe you shouldn't play!
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:09 pm
Yes I did. Windows referred to it as a clean install.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:19 pm
Were you using 10 before the transfer? If so a clean install should not affect your personal files. I have upgraded and done a few clean installs as well and did not loose any data. Now I did have to reinstall program files like games etc especially if you plan to use the games off the HD.

I might suggest if you have room to put music files and picture on the HD and do a select few games (the ones you play the most on the SSD) I have a 500 SSD and I run a few off of it. Another option if you have the money would be to use the HD for storage, the one SSD as operating and a few select (most used programs) and then a smaller or equal SSD to run the other programs and games. That is my current setup and works really well. The second reason to put games on the SSD would be load times and connecting to servers. It is a lot quicker if you are running the game off an SSD.

"Do or do not there is no try!"
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:13 pm
Make sure in your BIOS that you have the SSD as 1st boot or just simply unplug all other hard drives and restart.
To get in your BIOS, turn computer on then hold down the delete button.

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:12 pm
You may have format and download windows usb creation tool.and create a usb boot drive

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 pm
You cannot just copy and OS to another drive and have it work. You are going to have to transfer what you need off of that drive to another one and then format it and move it to another storage slot in your rig and then install you new drive and boot into bios and make sure that the system knows that the new drive is your new boot drive and then you do a fresh install of windows from there. If you are worried about losing your free upgrade to windows 10 it is not gone and you can still get it very easily from microsoft and reinstall the OS to the new drive. All you will need to make sure you have before doing any of the listed above things is to make sure you have your CDKEY for your windows. If you do not have it or are unable to obtain it then go to this link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip this should auto download the software needed to obtain your cdkey from within your system which you can write down for your new windows installation.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:52 pm
okay...lots of info...Windows 10 to answer one of the basic questions.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 pm
You can copy the OS from your old drive to the SSD using a tool that comes with most drive manufactures. Clean installs are the preferred method

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:06 pm
Did you solve your issue?