Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm
mr-t View latest post
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:39 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:54 pm
Snap71 View latest post

Here goes.....

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:08 pm
I ran all my games off of steam. All of which ran from a Dell PC, which had an upgraded graphics card, but was well over 12 years old. What should I be looking at getting? The whole PC system again( desktop) really I think would be a waste, as most of the things we do at the house are just done off an I pad. Would a laptop of some sort be able to run our games we play here? Since being a member here I’ve only gamed on a desktop. So new territory here for me. Just some ideas. Like I said in earlier posts I’ve mainly played BF1 on PS4 since my CP has been down. I just want to get setup here for the next game(whatever that may be!) I just want to return to the days of full servers and a few core games that we enjoyed. Not digging the splinter effect here with going off in different directions. So I just ask one thing. Any replies ,can you dumb it down a little, 5th grade style? I’m not the most techie type. Just need to know what I need to get reeled back in.

Locate close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver......
7th Engineers "C" CO.1stFSSG Camp Pendleton..ONCE..ALWAYS 86-92
Alpha Company 2nd BN 151st INF ARNG Indiana 11-15
Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:25 pm
I have found that the cost of a high end laptop that would run most of the games out there is probably much more expensive that putting together a desktop on your own. That being said, not everyone needs to buy a brand new system. There are plenty of great systems out there for the picking and I'm sure you can get a lot of great feedback  on here if you post the specs on a system you might be interested in.

Arte et Marte
Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:07 pm
Just my personal opinion. Gaming laptops are great at the time you buy them for allot of dollars as tek pointed out. But when newer games required new graphics cards your SOL unless you bought the very high-end gaming laptop with upgrade ability for graphics. Desktops are much more upgradable a piece at a time.  One more point back in the day a graphics card would last through several game cycles and that is really not the case these days. So my opinion is desktops for gaming less cost and more flexibility.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 pm
I absolutely agree with Tek and Karow stay away from the LT scene. I just made the  change from Intel to an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (8 core/16 thread) with AM4 motherboard and 16g Gskill 3200 DDR4 ram for $500 from Newegg. The AMD products don't have as much headroom for Overclocking as the Intel chips but are light years cheaper. With the new 3000 series Ryzen's coming out shortly the 2000 series chips (2700/2700x) are very reasonable. For your use I would think the 2700 (6 core/12 thread) would be more than ample. As for graphics I'm a hardcore Nvidia guy and don't have a lot in the way of advice. I know the GTX 1060 is fairly inexpensive and should run the current games. Here is the top 5 CPU and GPU from 3DMark. Also try searching Youtube for basic or inexpensive gaming builds. Hope this helps some, good luck!

Light is faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until they speak.
Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 am
Totally agree with comments, I went Desktop a year ago from laptop gaming and HUGE improvement. With older laptop Alienware it was very expensive and I got very lucky finding a repair shop willing to solder in a new graphics card. Can’t be done nowadays. So after a year with my DT I upgraded to better graphics card and it was very easy to install myself - love those uTubes. Go with the highest end you can afford. I’d say GPU at least 980 or 1070ti NVIDA or equivalent and 3.0 GHZ speed.  Be sure you get a power supply at least 500

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:31 pm
I agree with everyone , a desktop is more easily upgrade able. I purchased an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and an ASUS ROG STRYX MB for about $320 , and Corair ram . I am reusing my GTX 660 SC untill I can buy an upgrade . I can play BFV with very few problems that I know are the video card having a little trouble keeping up . I see that the new GTX 1600 is quite affordable , and the RTX are coming down in price .

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:18 am
Never game on anything other than a desktop and it should be custom built if you want it to last. If you have TONS of money there are amazing gaming laptops out there or prebuilt gaming dekstops but its way cheaper and easier to build your own. If you can hold off for a bit longer AMD is about to release there new chip sets and they are affordable and put out some AMAZING numbers.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 am
Hear Hear