Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:30 pm
GTPer View latest post
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:23 am
Snap71 View latest post
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm
mr-t View latest post

DOA Motherboard

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:26 pm
Have been working on the new PC since all the parts came in yesterday. However my first issue I came across was that nothing booted up not a single fan nothin. So I naturally tested my PSU around and decided to just switch to a new one in hopes that that would be the issue however after switching, once I try to boot nothing happens still.

After that I turned my attention to the front panel pins/cables and even tried to jumpstart my mobo. Meanwhile I have done all of this without my gpu, ssd, ram, and hard drive plugged in. Other then my mobo cables, and essential PSU cables, my fan hub is the only other thing plugged in. However, when I attempted to jump start, nothing happened. Does this mean my mobo is DOA?

Mobo: Asus Prime B450-a/cm
PSU: EVGA 650 BQ Bronze
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Radeon RX 570
Mem: 2x8gb Tridentz rgb 3200
Storage: 2TB hdd Seagate, Adata 250GB su800 ssd
Fans: 6 Rosewill rgb (dont know model name)
And my case is a mid tower atx from Sama

Please let me know what you guys think I should do. Can't wait to get this working and get back into the BK gaming scene.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:03 pm
UPDATE: I unplugged everything and moved my motherboard and psu out of the case because I was getting tired of being cramped in a small box with nothing working. Brought my monitor out to where I was working and plugged all the essentials back into the mobo. Put one stick of memory into the second slot closest to the cpu. Jumpstarted it, and cooler/memory/beeps finally happened. A colleague recommended I test out my mouse or keyboard since nothing has come up on the monitor yet, but I am going to let it cycle for a little as well. If I should do anything else or did something not completely right please let me know!

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:29 pm
Concluding Update: Have progressively plugged in my gpu, both ram sticks, hdd, and about to test with ssd plugged in. However no boot screen on my monitor, does this mean I should just let it cycle?

Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:55 pm
From the last post it at least sounds like you have power to the mobo since it beeps.

Did you try both sticks of memory in case you have a bad stick? Are you sure for that mobo that is the correct slot it needs to be in to boot up. I have seen a few that use a different slot from the normal slot. Check your book to make sure that second slot is the correct one.

I have always had my SDD or HDD plugged in when I first turned the mobo on so I am not sure if current mobos require one to be in place before it will boot. Even if you do not see anything on the screen, once everything is plugged in correctly, you should hear or feel everything running. If something is not working like the HDD then something is wrong with the board or the connections.

One last thought some ssd can only be plugged into specific slots on your mobo depending on how they are set up. I have seen this in the last couple of mobos I build because I still use both a HDD with my other SSD's. Make sure those connections are correct based on your mobo booklet and the type of drive.

"Do or do not there is no try!"
Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:41 am
this may sound stupid but you have your monitor connected to your graphics card and not the motherboard right.

the second thing is the motherboard might need a bios update to work with the 2nd gen ryzens (you need a 1st gen ryzen to do this tho, in my experience local computer shops do it for a nominal fee) but i did a quick look and it doesn't say if that motherboard that issue or not

It is Going To Hurt
http://taylormadehosting.co.uk
Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:43 am

mr-t wrote (View Post):

this may sound stupid but you have your monitor connected to your graphics card and not the motherboard right.

the second thing is the motherboard might need a bios update to work with the 2nd gen ryzens (you need a 1st gen ryzen to do this tho, in my experience local computer shops do it for a nominal fee) but i did a quick look and it doesn't say if that motherboard that issue or not

Once I realized I was going to use a dvi cable in my setup I realized I should be using the graphics card, forgot about that  Laughing

My main issue was that I thought I needed to plug the Perif cable from my PSU into something for my fans to work with Aura Sync however I didn't realize my fans came with a controller so once I unplugged my Perif cable it all went smoothly from there. Currently just updating my Windows 10 and getting my drivers. Hopefully. I will make some progress on purchasing games after my work shifts this week.

See ya'll soon through my scope Wink

Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:07 pm
I'm glad you got it sorted

Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 pm
Glad to here it shane, if you have any other issues come into ts and I'll be glad to help, evening is best.