Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

Braxis' Review: Red Faction: Armageddon

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:58 pm
Ok, here's another installment in the Red Faction saga, and I am amused.  If y'all haven't guessed, I have a relatively dark sense of humor, and I chuckle at the STRANGEST things.  more on that later

So, Red Faction.

This game follows close on the heels of the previous Red Faction: Guerrila (RFG). You play as the same character as last time, who was a miner/settler who came to Mars and was thrust into the the role of a rebel leader when he was framed as one of the instigators of the revolt.  Turns out, being a miner and demolitions expert comes in handy when trying your hand at terrorism/freedom fighting.  

now in the second installment, we drop in a couple of years after RFG.  in RFA the world has gone down the toilet, and you are largely to blame, so now you have to try to put it right.  beyond that, there's really not that much to learn about the story, and It feels sorta like an excuse to go smash and blow stuff up  Laughing

Gameplay is where RFA shines, and leading the list of good points is the Destructible Environment;  you can divot the terrain, smash whole buildings down, knock enemies through walls... the possibilities are endless.  For those of you who played Bad Company 2, double the amount of destruction, and remove the dust/vanishing walls.  everything has physics, and the collapses can smash enemies, as well as other buildings (yay for dominoes with buildings!).  you can get a bit carried away and smash a whole are to bits, only to find you cant continue on, because you wreaked your path... never fear, you have a handy "nanoforge" which can rebuild all of it instantly.  This can be very handy to make some cover quickly, as well.  One time, i took out a wall and crushed the guy hiding behind it, rebuilt it, and then knocked it down again on the other enemy who had just taken cover there. ROFL!

The game is actually pretty long(about 12 hours), with a wide variety of locals, vehicles and weapons to choose from. My one gripe is that there is not much diversity in the enemies, and killing the same 3 types of enemies for an hour straight can get a bit dull... well, until they give you the Magnet gun, that never gets old!

[Watch On YouTube]

All in all, I had a load of fun with this game, it definitely feeds my appetite for destruction.  If you want to save some money, are interested in the concept and haven't tried RF: Geurrilla yet, pick that up, its $20 on Steam.

Stay tuned for more game reviews.
SSG.Braxis*BK*