AVG help
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> General Technology

#1: AVG help Author: Pheew PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 pm
    —
Need alittle help, i did a virus scan last night had 8 infected files was able to repair 5 of them and the other 3 were to big to send to the virus vault. So i tracked the file down and like an idiot opened them up 1 was a nvidia installer and 2 others were for a game fallen earth, so i maunually deleted and ran virus scan all was well have yet to reboot and scan again but was wondering if this would be what the call a false positive, and wondering if there is something else i should try.

Virus was Luhe.Fiha.A

#2: Re: AVG help Author: LukeLocation: Grand Rapids, MI PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 pm
    —
Give MALWAREBYTES a try they are very good at removing infections already on your computer. Download it on a different computer put it on a usb stick and restart your computer in safe mode. Then run MALWAREBYTES off the USB stick.

GOA.Luke*BK*

#3: Re: AVG help Author: Pheew PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:14 pm
    —
K sounds good thanks

#4: Re: AVG help Author: RabidSquirrl-BK- PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 pm
    —
Uninstall AVG and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials.  Both are free, but MSE is less likely to render your computer into a non-booting state in the event you have to clean infections.  I have honestly not had any good experiences with AVG in my career.  Also, MSE is a faster engine.  It finds less unknown viruses, but it finds far fewer false positives as well.

#5: Re: AVG help Author: lampLocation: CA PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:16 pm
    —
another good one is Trend Micro's House Call Link below.  but as luke said MALWAREBYTES is good for after the fact infections. i use it at work all the time. good luck!!

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

#6: Re: AVG help Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:30 pm
    —
I seem to recall avg always hitting on false positives. I agree on using mse though if you want free protection.. I use kaspersky or eset depending on which is on sale when I need to purchase one.

#7: Re: AVG help Author: TwoFourLocation: Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:37 pm
    —
I agree with MSE...Ted100 approved!
The only protection you'll need.

#8: Re: AVG help Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:56 pm
    —
Careful computer use is what I use. I do a scan every month or two, but they always come up empty. ..Though, every AV program will come up with a false positive at one point or another.

NOD32 is a good one, too.

#9: Re: AVG help Author: xVoodooLocation: New Brunswick, Canada PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:48 am
    —
I've found that while AVG isn't a bad product it does seem to have more than its fair share of false positives and i'm not really a big fan of Symantec products as they are huge resource hogs and take forever and a day to run a scan. I've been using Avast freeware for the last few years and have had absolutely no issues at all. One aspect of Avast that I like is the gaming mode as it suppresses those annoying update messages and runs very quietly in the background. As with any AV, keep it updated (MSE updates with your OS updates so might create quite a few restore points but otherwise is a good product) and run MALAWAREBYTES if you do get an infection, its worth its weight in gold. Most viruses today are aimed at financial info gathering so be very careful about what info you keep on your pc related to online banking ect. Just my .02 cents worth  Laughing

#10: Re: AVG help Author: CakeLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:01 pm
    —
I have had numerous computer problems with AVG and yesterday I  uninstalled it and all of its related functions. My boot up times have gone back to their speeds and my PC is more stable as far as lockdowns and game drops are
concerned. I reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentiuals , but I still have ping problems and am searching for the cause of that. [very irritating and frustrating]

#11: Re: AVG help Author: Pheew PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm
    —
Well update did another avg and trend micro scan all was well, first time ive ever had problems with avg if the problem continues ill try malwarebytes, now if only i can get the bf3 map load times down to under 3min ill be set lol thanks for all the help guys its appreciated.

Bad Karma -> General Technology

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1