Got a portable hard drive, Now what?
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> System Help

#1: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: Moosehead PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:28 pm
    —
Picked up a 1tb WD passport drive for real cheap wanting to use it to back up music, video, and pictures along with documents.

I wold like to use something other then the software that came with it, WD Smartware.

Just looking for something that will scan folders and only backup new or changed files. Also that is easy to see what has been backed up and be able to chose which version of the file to restore.

Looking at Ascomp Software  BackUp Maker, and syncback SE, as a couple.

Any recommendations?

#2: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: DustyLocation: Thu Deep South, Baby. PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 pm
    —
I use the built in Windows backup. its reliable, and there's no third party mess to deal with.
but I game on my mac with Bootcamp, so I use the Mac "Time Machine" feature to backup the Windows Partition as well and the Mac side on that device.

#3: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: Moosehead PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 pm
    —
Forgot about windows backup. Does it allow you to pick what folders to back up or is it a system backup?

#4: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: MisterDLocation: Scorched, AZ PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 pm
    —
You should be able to get the windows backup settings and chose which files to back up.

#5: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: GroundTrooperLocation: Union, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:08 pm
    —
You should also be able to partition your drive also. And drag an drop your files you want too.  That way you have a permanent backup of stuff you can't live without.

#6: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: Moosehead PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 pm
    —

GroundTrooper wrote (View Post):

You should also be able to partition your drive also. And drag an drop your files you want too.  That way you have a permanent backup of stuff you can't live without.

Unless the hard drive crashes. Im looking to store this in a safe place for disaster recovery.

#7: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: GroundTrooperLocation: Union, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:06 pm
    —
You can open them up and put another drive in their also. That works if you have extra's laying around. I thoucht about gettung a docking station for the bare drives.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071         like this.

#8: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:00 am
    —
I got myself one of these a while back.  Works pretty well.  They also have a slightly cheaper USB 2.0 version   and one that is just a tiny block of a plug with  a power adapter.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10315&cs_id=1031502&p_id=8078&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is  awesome.

How does that Passport drive perform?. I've been thinking about getting one for my mother.

#9: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: Moosehead PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:55 pm
    —

Abram wrote (View Post):

I got myself one of these a while back.  Works pretty well.  They also have a slightly cheaper USB 2.0 version   and one that is just a tiny block of a plug with  a power adapter.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10315&cs_id=1031502&p_id=8078&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is  awesome.

How does that Passport drive perform?. I've been thinking about getting one for my mother.

Works good other then the WD backup software. Picked this one up for $35 at a flea market.

#10: Re: Got a portable hard drive, Now what? Author: Firecrackr1Location: Haddon Twp. NJ PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:16 pm
    —
I got the same portable hdd for Christmas, I just used the software that installed when I connected to my pc and the wife's.

Bad Karma -> System Help

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1