Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU VOTE)
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> CoD:WaW(5)
Should we drop Punkbuster in W@W
Yes
76%
 76%  [ 35 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 46

#1: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU VOTE) Author: LukeLocation: Grand Rapids, MI PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:18 pm
    —
Punkbuster has canceled support for W@W no one can get the updates through punkbuster and many players are having issues with the game now. Activity on W@W is way down as our regular non members do not know what is happening.

With so many people being kicked from the server we are thinking of removing punkbuster so the server can continue on. That dose mean no more auto kicks for people with known hacks. It would allow people to play in our server.

So should we keep punkbuster and dramatically limit the number of players or drop punkbuster and let everyone play.

#2: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: TazmanLocation: Minneapolis, MN PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:44 pm
    —
I voted Yes to drop PB.  I know that I play in there regularly and so do many other BKers.  BUT...if we are limiting the ability of others to get in (even BKers), then we are shorting ourselves.  I think with the game being mature, we have been able to manage the server quite well...even for those who play with "enhancements".  I say do away with PB and let's see what happens!!!

I will assume that, if needed, we could put PB back???  (i.e. Enhancements are out of control and the server get worse???)

Taz

Last edited by Tazman on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: REFORMLocation: Las Vegas, NV PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm
    —
Just like creating a piece of artwork, you dont really know what its gonna look like until you get to it.
I think this is what we have here, we arent really going to know until we do it, but what we do know is that PB is causing problems for our server. If we keep it and our regulars go somewhere else then we have cut off a limb of BK, but if we lose PB and enhancment run rampant,  then it is up to the members of BK to police that. It may be difficult for some like myself to spot enhancments but i think collectively we have what it takes to police those players who need to take "steroids" .
My vote.....loose PB and keep the server alive.

#4: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm
    —
I considered this when I first found out about it. Most of our guests are regulars, cheating is generally easy to catch, and PB isn't really too hot at catching cheats anyway.  But will disabling PB remove the servers' 'ranked' status?I suggest making a scrolling message about it, and mentioning why the decision was (if it is) made.

What about running the same PB version as a default install?

#5: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: xVoodooLocation: New Brunswick, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm
    —
I vote to remove PB because of this issues it is causing now that they no longer support the game. Catching cheats/enhancements is not that difficult if you know what to watch for and its not really been much of an issue anyway with the exception of the odd case now and then. We don't want to loose regulars for the sake of keeping an outdated, unsupported tool.

#6: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: DiggerBazLocation: Melbourne / Australia PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 pm
    —
After reading the aforementioned posts, I willvoteto remove pb  However, perhaps a short boot camp on how to spot hacks blah blah may be in order.

#7: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: TazmanLocation: Minneapolis, MN PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm
    —
OOhhhhhh....good call Digger.  I have been involved in spec'ing some of those in game.  I would be more than appreciative in having that boot camp!!!

Taz

#8: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:13 pm
    —
Maybe contact Evenbalance, see if they would give us what we need to keep Punkbuster operating as it should.  Possibly even get with other clans within World at War and have it entirely community run/supported.

#9: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: CakeLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 pm
    —
I vote to get rid of PB . PB kicks and bans for WAW do not seem to be an every day thing now. Given the choice of losing PB or many BK and regular quests seems to be a
no-brainer to me , we will just have to step up our efforts to catch cheaters. Using DI boot camps sounds like a good idea to me to help identify violators . We may miss a
few now and then but I really don't see any alternative .

#10: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: LukeLocation: Grand Rapids, MI PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:30 pm
    —
Tet we have what we need to keep it working. The problem is each player has to install it and anyone new to the game will have go look for the files. Most players will just think the issue is on their side and stop trying.

#11: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: target PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 pm
    —
I guess if I went from 3 kills and 30 deaths...someone might notice...lol so what ever is needed is ok with me...

#12: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Natb1Location: Fairview Heights IL PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:59 pm
    —
I voted to remove PB

#13: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: DEADFISHLocation: West Coast PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 pm
    —
If PB is causing the problem then we need to fix it, cant have BK'ers running off somewhere else. I think a boot camp would help to at least give us all a refresher on what to look for as far as cheats and hacks/enhancements. Default PB might work even calling even balance  couldn't help. I would rather lots of BK and a few people we need to kick for not following the rules.

#14: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Firecrackr1Location: Haddon Twp. NJ PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 am
    —
I could never connect, getting meassage "no online services". Dummy me deleted the game from both pc's but no big deal to reinsatll. Therefore a question; when I reinstall and it asks if I want PB do I just select no?
Let's give it a try without PB.

#15: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: ScattersLocation: Sydney/ Australia PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:54 am
    —
I haven't had any problems yet, but if it is causing problems with others BK's/players I agree to remove it.
Definitely need a boot camp, I wouldn't know how to spot a hack,(sometimes I can guess but not really sure).

#16: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Snap71Location: Annapolis, MD PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:09 am
    —
Voted yes, we can spot them I think and today if someone wanted to cheat they I think and only think they could buy a Pubk Buster proof cheat. The only one hard to spot I think is Aimbot. But I agree with others and better to deal with onesies and twosies than losing or not getting players in.

#17: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Chopper PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:56 am
    —
I vote to remove PB therefore bringing our number back up. The "hacking" part will unfortunately have to be dealt with when and if it happens

#18: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: just-dieLocation: wisconsin PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:01 pm
    —
when we remove it can we run some new maps

#19: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: DELETEDLocation: Thunder Bay, ON Canada PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:27 pm
    —
I have no doubt we can spot the hackers when they arrive, with or without PB. My only concern is that BadKon kicks using PB, so will that still work for kicks?

#20: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: archstantonLocation: missouri PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:27 pm
    —
were always playing there and most of us know how to spot a cheater if the scores dont give it away enough so down with it goodby punkbuster

#21: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: KarmaLocation: Australia PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm
    —
I vote to remove PB. Our servers are very well monitored in game by members.

KarmaKaze

#22: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: BadshotLocation: Lincoln/Nebraska/USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 am
    —
I have recently re-installed world at war, even though world at war is not on the list, it will still update the game because mine works just fine and W@W was not on the list of supported games, when you install the game, it asks you if you want to install punkbuster just hit yes, Then download the pb client and just update the client, you don't have to select the game, it automaticalely updates all the games that use punkbuster including battlefield and other games. Worked just fine for me, and a few others that had the same problem, it's an easy fix, even if you have to re-install the game, save your profile, install the game right, and no problems at all.

#23: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: 11S1lence11Location: MIssouri PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:47 am
    —
I vote to remove PB. I have just recently repurchased W@W that is what got me started with BK way back in the day. My only hope would be that it can still be a ranked server so i can still work on my stats.

#24: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: BadshotLocation: Lincoln/Nebraska/USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:05 am
    —
Activision has contracted with Even Balance, Inc. to integrate PunkBuster™ Anti-Cheat software into the game Call of Duty®: World at War™ developed by Treyarch. Activision and Call of Duty are registered trademarks and World at War is a trademark of Activision Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.

If you install the game right you will have no problems with PB, just because It's not on the list, does not mean the game in not supported by it, The only thing they have updated on their webisite and PB.setup is the new games, they didn't post the older games but they are still supported. It's simple.

#25: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Delta33DevilLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:20 am
    —
I think we do a pretty good job of keeping an eye on questionable players, we can probably keep things under control.  And I agree with the need to keep the numbers up and the players coming in, so I also vote to lose punk buster.

#26: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:55 am
    —
Badshot - if memory servers, the PB installer gets after the game install, right?  I know other members have done installing everything but still got the error until grabbing the latest PB folder from another person. Though perhaps Activision and/or PB realized what has been going on and has lowered the PB version on all PB-enabled servers to match the default version... ? If it runs out that turnign of PB will make the serer soe the Ranked status, perhaps we can only install the game-install default version of PB.

But if we do manage to keep it Ranked, I'm quite confident we can keep a handle on things.

Contacting people at Evenbalance has proven a little more difficult than expected. But apparently they have a phone number that they just answer with a plain ol' "Hello?"

#27: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: BadshotLocation: Lincoln/Nebraska/USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:02 pm
    —
If you have the disk, it will ask you what folder to install world at war, after that before it installs the game it will ask you if you want to install punkbuster, if someone is using steam, they might not have that option which could be the problem in a lot of cases. It's probably steam users that recently got the game. If they had the  disk they would not have any PB issues. If they do have the disk, then they are probably doing something wrong or using windows 8 lol.

#28: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: BadshotLocation: Lincoln/Nebraska/USA PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:03 pm
    —
steam is the problem, not punkbuster, if you go to the even balance website, well here I'll make it easy.   http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=announce.php
Scroll down for the full list of games that are supported and have been and still are by punkbuster. The support page is just updated with new games, it didn't drop any games. Buy the disk and you will be fine, buy from steam and you will have problems like everybody else does with steam. I mean if we turn it off for one game, lets turn it off for all of them and see how people like it, let's not single out one game(our most popular game server out of all of them) lets turn it off for all of them and see what happens. Do you not agree? if so why not, if we don't need it on one game, then we don't need it on any of them right? World at War is still supported and there is no reason to turn punkbuster off because people don't want to buy the disk. Steam is notorious for problems with all games and services. Even with the recent pb problems, World at War is still by far out most popular server.

#29: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: BlueTravelerLocation: Myersville, MD PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:53 pm
    —
I recently reinstalled the game from my disc and I am having punkbuster issues, even though I installed punkbuster from the disc.  Therefore, my vote is to remove it.

#30: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: xVoodooLocation: New Brunswick, Canada PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:41 pm
    —
If PB is still supporting the game then no need to disable it. This discussion was based on PB no longer supporting W@W and the issues potentially created by that action. Personally I haven't had any issues at all with the exception of one game freeze.... that's it. My vote is contingent on PB NOT supporting W@W

#31: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: pfrman PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:39 pm
    —
hey all,

actually i came here hoping to find the answer...if you do a clean install from disc punkbuster WILL NOT update as they no longer support WaW http://www.pbbans.com/forums/pb-support-discontinued-for-codwaw-t179145.html  there is a file there that you can download to fix pb but need to be a member of pbbans

maybe you can get MrT to upload a copy on politeandfriendly

take care

#32: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: LukeLocation: Grand Rapids, MI PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:09 pm
    —
Thanks PFRman we got that file as a sticky in the W@W section. Its good to see you around.

#33: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:34 am
    —
i use to get a pb kick once in a while -  i did a reg fix of Kilgor's post. haven't had a problem in a very long time, but i will say when most problems happen is when a update has been put out and it makes the game to act up and then all you need to do is to do a manual update to fix it. i also run off a disk no steam...

Bags

#34: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Firecrackr1Location: Haddon Twp. NJ PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:47 am
    —
I also reinstalled the game and still can not connect to on line services.

#35: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: HawkeyeLocation: Connecticut PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 am
    —
I had the same issue when I did the re-installed the game.. I contacted EA and PB and got no where but that they are not supporting it any longer....what I had to do was find someone that had the same game and copied their PB folder and pasted it into my files.(the other persons game had to come from the Disks and not from STEAM,) STEAM automatically updates PB from what I"ve been told. .. If we don't get rid of PB from our servers, perhaps I can (or someone else can) upload the PB folder that is currently working for those that re-install or even just got the game to the forums here....

Just a thought....

#36: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Firecrackr1Location: Haddon Twp. NJ PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:38 am
    —
Don't know if that will work for everyone, Hawkeye; I have the disc not Steam.

#37: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:47 am
    —
PB folder has already been uploaded,  Hawkeye.  Check the announcements in this section Smile

#38: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: KarmaLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:48 pm
    —
It will mean more work for Admins but I believe the best thing for the clan is to drop Punkbuster and allow everyone to play in our servers. We'll soon sort out the hacks I'm sure.

#39: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: CombatWombat PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 am
    —
So far in the last couple of months PB has increased membership by players looking for the fix coming to the site to fix and while they are here they put in an application to join BK.

#40: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: DiggerBazLocation: Melbourne / Australia PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:04 am
    —
Bahboom.  Good spotting Wombat. That makes sense. Another reason for keeping WaW longer.

#41: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: MouseLocation: Monaca, PA PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:41 pm
    —
Here is a little TRUTH on gettin rid of PB completely. It's not a bad idea but consider this, I hear people in TS goin on about the runners and so on and how someone needs to give this player a warnin. With PB gone that means your job just got harder. You now have to determine if someone is usin a hack or not. With PB gone the people will be in there screamin about how this person got shot in a place no one could see or how they were and we need to spec this person or that one. Now yes there are plenty or regulars in there but even so there are goin to be people who play that are truly good but they appear to be hackin, because they are havin a good game. There will be player who pre-fire out of habit who will now be called a hack because someone got shot around a corner and no one saw you there. There will also need to be admins in TS more now to squash all the arguin about how one thinks one thing and someone else thinks something different. I have heard EVERYONE complain about the above mentioned issues and this will add fuel to there fire. Just listen on TS 1 full day to hear it all and get ready for more. Now yes it is our job to keep the servers runnin smooth so, don't complain about the runner / rule breaker give them the warnin for the infraction they are doin.

#42: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: LukeLocation: Grand Rapids, MI PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:27 pm
    —
We canceled this idea after we figured out Badkon would stop working if we turned off PB.

#43: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: DELETEDLocation: Thunder Bay, ON Canada PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:37 pm
    —

CombatWombat wrote (View Post):

So far in the last couple of months PB has increased membership by players looking for the fix coming to the site to fix and while they are here they put in an application to join BK.

Exactly. We are also seeing some of the other servers giving out information on the PB patch, so the W@W community is working to get players playing. PB and BadKon is working just fine.

#44: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: TimberbeastWacoLocation: Waco Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:54 pm
    —

Bags wrote (View Post):

i use to get a pb kick once in a while -  i did a reg fix of Kilgor's post. haven't had a problem in a very long time, but i will say when most problems happen is when a update has been put out and it makes the game to act up and then all you need to do is to do a manual update to fix it. i also run off a disk no steam...

Bags

I had the same prob. with steam update, i told steam not to update the wow files, no prom has arisen from a del pb files, reinstall pb from the sticky.

#45: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: TimberbeastWacoLocation: Waco Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm
    —

Firecrackr1 wrote (View Post):

I had the same prob. with steam update, i told steam not to update the wow files, no prom has arisen from a del pb files, reinstall pb from the sticky.

#46: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: TimberbeastWacoLocation: Waco Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:05 pm
    —

Firecrackr1 wrote (View Post):

I vote to keep PB

#47: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: Snap71Location: Annapolis, MD PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 pm
    —
I think we can spot and deal with hackers I'm going to vote get rid of it.

#48: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: MrKrinkleLocation: Victoria, Australia PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:01 am
    —
Both CombatWombat and Mouse are 100% on the money in what they said.
Membership up? or Workload and frustration up? i need say no more?. No

#49: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: ags463Location: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:10 pm
    —
BadKon and WAW

BadKon depends on Punkbuster being installed to be able to communicate with the server on a real time basis.
Without it, BadKon will need a re-write for the WAW section, and I'm not sure what  we might lose.
Short term (and maybe long term) WAW would have to be managed using the rcon tool instead of BadKon if we drop Punkbuster.

ags463

#50: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: SuniGunz PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:27 pm
    —
no badkon then I vote punk buster and train some of the guys who play it how to walk the unknowing through the steps to install it right

#51: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: BadshotLocation: Lincoln/Nebraska/USA PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:49 pm
    —
Might as well keep it, all they have to do is a quick search how to fix it and that's it, no reason to get rid of it.

#52: Re: Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU V Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 pm
    —
I suspect the would some inherit distrust of a server without PB running,  particularly for new players.

Bad Karma -> CoD:WaW(5)

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1