14' Jon Boat Build
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 12Next  :| |:
Bad Karma -> General

#1: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: UFANS PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:48 pm
    —
I have a 14' jon boat that is great for what I need it for.  Its an older 84 jon boat.  It has some decking in it now but the wood is starting to rot.  I am wanting to redeck it but have the front go all the way to the middle seat.  Then add a pedestal seat up front.  I will be adding some hatches for storage under the decking.  The boat still has the foam up front and in all seats and I would be willing to add more to the sides of the decking.  Im a big guy and my brother in law is not small either so I want to make sure not to add to much weight.  Has anyone out there ever done this and if so any tips.

#2: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:38 am
    —

#3: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: HillbillyLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:52 pm
    —
I have done this several times. Treated wood is cheaper but I like using aluminum plating. It's cost more but will last and add more strenght without weight. You can add no skid tape on the wood or plating so it won't be slick. If you have a scrap yard that you can visit you might find it cheaper.

#4: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: UFANS PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:09 pm
    —
When I got of the service and came home I worked at a metal factory that makes trailer parts.  Maybe I will give them a call and see if they can give me some deals on some aluminum tubes for the frame.  I will be putting outdoor carpet over the decking not sure what color yet.  Need to take a treble hook up to Home Depot or Lowes and test the carpet first.  You think if I have a solid frame 1/2" plywood would work?  Or would it be best to go with 3/4"?

This is what im working with.  All the current decking will be replaced.

#5: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: UFANS PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:05 pm
    —
Got the back decking done just waiting on carpet now.  So far 10 pounds less than what was in there.

Added some foam for extra float

Flooring

Back

#6: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: AbramLocation: Fort McMurray, AB PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:08 pm
    —
Neat.  Oh,  how I miss fishing..

#7: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: Natb1Location: Fairview Heights IL PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:52 pm
    —
well done!

#8: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: HillbillyLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:04 pm
    —
You done well Sir.

#9: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: UFANS PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:05 pm
    —
Update on build.

Where the wood is it will be doors.

Supports for the front complete.

Cut the decking yesterday, need to cut out the doors.

Decking will go past the middle seat about 18" for extra storage in the back. Then comes the water treating, dreading that lol.  I will add 3 coats once all decking is cut and predrilled.  That way I can get the water proofing in the drill holes.  Once dry I will add carpet and drill down.  Need to run the electric but will wait tell I add the switch box. Still under the weight that I started with.  I just might be able to get it ready for the fall steelhead run.

#10: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: Natb1Location: Fairview Heights IL PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm
    —
nice!

#11: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: ARRGGHHHLocation: Ohio PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:00 pm
    —
Looks great nice work!

#12: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: KarowLocation: Taos Missouri PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:11 pm
    —
Very nice

#13: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: DiggerBazLocation: Melbourne / Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:32 pm
    —
Great stuff UFANS.  What's the steelhead run?

#14: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: UFANS PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:18 pm
    —
Steelhead is large fish that looks like a rainbow trout.  They run up with the salmon.

#15: Re: 14' Jon Boat Build Author: BlueTravelerLocation: Myersville, MD PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 pm
    —
Nice job UFANS!  Love seeing other people's DIY projects.  I'm currently building a bed for my daughter and seeing what other people are doing really helps with motivation.  I look forward to seeing your finished product.

Bad Karma -> General

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 12Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2