Help with new SSD.
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> System Help

#1: Help with new SSD. Author: Moosehead PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:09 pm
    —
Just got a new 25gb SSD and want to put it in one of my 2 systems. Not sure which one yet.

Is it possible to clone my current boot drive to the SSD or will I have to reinstall the os?

First system has 3 hdd. The boot drive is a seagate 120gb 7200 rpm

Second is an alienware Alpha with a 500gb hard drive.

#2: Re: Help with new SSD. Author: mr-t PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:20 pm
    —
hey moosehead
if your replacing a hdd put it in the one that you use most as it will increase load time, not sure if you made a mistake but a 25gig ssd might be a bit small for an os these days once you have all the updated etc.
i would do a clean install over cloning every time. a clean install gives you a fresh start no junk to that slows your system down. also the fact that if it is only a 25gig your current hdd's are bigger and wouldn't fit on them in any case.

and for those that are not very computer savvy if you do have a ssd make sure that you do NOT defrag it, window 7 and above usually reconsign an ssd and turn off the automatic defrag, but always worth checking. defraging a ssd reduces the life of it dramatically, and does not help at all.

#3: Re: Help with new SSD. Author: Silent_WolfLocation: Loveland, Colorado PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 pm
    —
I had the same question, did you mean to say 250gb drive for the SSD.  The software I usually use it call clonezilla.  If you are computer savvy, it shouldnt be too difficult to figure out, but its a freeware that will allow you to close your current image to the ssd.

#4: Re: Help with new SSD. Author: SMedicLocation: Iowa PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:43 pm
    —
pretty certain you mean 250gb dont you?

I would vote on the fresh install, pretty quick on a SSD...

#5: Re: Help with new SSD. Author: Moosehead PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:34 pm
    —
yes 250gb.

Bad Karma -> System Help

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1