A tale of two GTX 980ti's
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> General Technology

#1: A tale of two GTX 980ti's Author: JayJay PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 pm
    —
Aaah...   980ti SLI.   Man, things were sweet when I had you, at first at least.

Sure, Nvidia didn't allow DSR+Gsync+SLI, but they eventually fixed that.   Then BF1 Beta ran terrible with SLI.  Then BF1 release ran great with SLI.  Then next patch it was bad again.  Next patch SLI worked again.  Then next driver update it was broken again.  Then fixed.  Then BF1 patched again and broke SLI.

So, abandon SLI, is what I did!

I meet up with Bigconn and my 2nd 980ti is now in his family's hands!

And then two weeks later, the 980ti that I kept, DIED. Spontaneously.  System clicked and shutdown.  Refused to boot back up.  At first I thought it would be the CPU or Motherboard, and then I would be happy, and upgrade to Ryzen or threadripper.  But no... I removed the 980ti, and my system booted fine in integrated graphics.  Every time I put my 980ti in my system, it refused to boot.  I tried it in a friends system.  Refused to boot.  BAD 980ti.

Lucky me, EVGA has a 3 year warranty on it.  It died at the 1year 11month mark.  WOOHOOO!  RMA request in, card shipped out yesterday, and I hope eventually they send me back a replacement!  

To be continued...  when EVGA comes through :)

BONUS CONTENT:  BENCHMARK COMPARISON

1440p 100% Ultra settings BF4
980ti SLI - 160fps+
980ti single - 145fps+
Skylake intel inteagrated - 9fps

1080p 100% LOWEST SETTINGS BF4 intel integrated - 14fps

#2: Re: A tale of two GTX 980ti's Author: JayJay PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 pm
    —
Oooh and some eye candy from when I built the system and first mated the two together

#3: Re: A tale of two GTX 980ti's Author: bigconnLocation: Gastonia, North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:08 pm
    —
I just don't know what to say .... Sorry ?

#4: Re: A tale of two GTX 980ti's Author: Firecrackr1Location: Haddon Twp. NJ PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 am
    —
JayJay, no cpu fan?

#5: Re: A tale of two GTX 980ti's Author: JayJay PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:05 pm
    —
Bigconn - Rumor has it that EVGA will mail me back a GTX 1080 to replace the 980ti

I hope I get so lucky :D

Re: cpu fan - this is before cpu was installed.

#6: Re: A tale of two GTX 980ti's Author: bigconnLocation: Gastonia, North Carolina PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:56 am
    —
ohhh - upgrade Smile       LOL - I hope that is what happens for you !

Bad Karma -> General Technology

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1