Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old rig
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> General

#1: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old rig Author: JenkoLocation: Oklahoma PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:23 am
    —
I bought a new graphics card gigabyte 1060 xtreme but the rest of my rig is about 10 years old. I can play BF1 but have orange and red server warnings when I try to play a full server. I have an i5 - 2500k CPU @ 3.30 GHz   socket LGA1155
I checked the "can I run it" page and my processor was in the red Sad and it shows every time I get into action I lag out extremely bad... kind of like shoot and pray. If anyone has an old one that they would want to sell and would fit let me know!

#2: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: Goober PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 pm
    —
what's your budget ?

#3: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: JohnnyLocation: Wisconsin PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 pm
    —
Oh I think I got a couple laying around. By the way, it's good to hear from ya.

#4: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: KarowLocation: Taos Missouri PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:23 am
    —
The icons you see are more related to your ISP network than your hardware.

#5: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: three6Location: Edmonton, Alberta PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:30 am
    —
You should overclock it 4 to 4.5 GHz and it will only be like 2-5% slower than latest generation I5 6600k's.  My 3570k I5(one generation ahead of your 2500k) is overclocked to 4.2 GHz and is only 2% slower than a stock I5 6600k.    The best CPU you can put in that socket would be an I7 3770k and I would suggest overclocking that too.  BF1 loves 4+ cores on a CPU.  I wouldn't spend more than 200 on a CPU or you might as well upgrade your mobo CPU ram then.

#6: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: HighlyFictionalLocation: San Antonio, TX PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:43 pm
    —
I have an even older i7 950 and BF1 ran fine for me. I think your issue is something else because that CPU should be good enough.

#7: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: JayJay PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:55 am
    —
Agree with the above posters!  Your CPU while not amazing is not far behind current tech...  (Stil bottleneck though)

Are you overheating/downclocking?  When's the last time you checked your temps, cleaned out the cooler, etc

#8: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: three6Location: Edmonton, Alberta PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 pm
    —
You got it jay-jay, he's running a stock intel cooler and no thermal paste lol(temps were high 80-90's).  I advised him to get a Coolermaster hyper 212 evo. He should have it sometime in the next few days. Hopefully, that helps a lot. Then I think he's gonna try and give it a overclock to squeeze a bit more performance.

#9: Re: Looking to buy an old processor..need upgrade for my old Author: JenkoLocation: Oklahoma PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:41 am
    —
Sorry for the delay!  it's seems to be better I took some recommendations from old 36 and got the hyper 212 & a pea drop of thermal paste. Went from 88 Celsius to 30 lol made a huge difference. Even in game it never gets above 45 degrees. Thank you for all the responses and again sorry it took me so long to respond.

Bad Karma -> General

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1