Media Playe Problem
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> General Technology

#1: Media Playe Problem Author: WolfFangLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:53 am
    —
I have a small problem. My WD TV player died on me so I am now looking for a way to play my movies and tv shows that I have saved to an external harddrive on my tv. I have them saved in dvd (vob etc) formats and want to be able to access them on the tv like I used to with the WD player. I realize I could change them to a separate format and play them on a Roku etc but really want to avoid all of that work to change it. Anyone know of a newer option since the WD TV players are discontinued?

#2: Re: Media Playe Problem Author: TekLocation: Sudbury, Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:15 pm
    —
If you can access them from your PC you can download Kodi to play them directly onto your TV.

#3: Re: Media Playe Problem Author: JDSTROKELocation: Collingwood,Ont. , Canada PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:21 pm
    —
Kodi or Plex is what I use. Any android box or laptop or even tablet works. If you use plex and set it up on your network you can access them from any device on the network.

#4: Re: Media Playe Problem Author: JDSTROKELocation: Collingwood,Ont. , Canada PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 pm
    —
need more help just catch me on TS or discord.

#5: Re: Media Playe Problem Author: WolfFangLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 am
    —
Okay I will check with you at some point, probably tomorrow. I've been working on a home project and I am wore out today. That would be great so I don't have to buy another piece of equipment. Thank you.

#6: Re: Media Playe Problem Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 pm
    —
Do you already have a Roku?  If so there is a Plex app for them.

Personally I have a Kodi setup on a Raspberry Pi running Linux.  In the future I plan on purchasing Amazon FireTV sticks for other rooms and using the Plex app for those.

#7: Re: Media Playe Problem Author: WolfFangLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:16 am
    —
I loaded Plexi. Fortunately the tv in my bedroom (which is where I had the WD tv player was) is a Vizio and will run Plexi. My other two will not currently run it but I had not thought of that idea; guess it would be cheaper than buying the more expensive Roku players. I have a small windows based tablet that should suffice to run the movies from so at this point I can make it work. It's a little more effort than I was doing but it will work until I can afford something a little more expensive to work with the rest of the house. Thanks for the ideas.

Bad Karma -> General Technology

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1