tech help plus
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> General

#1: tech help plus Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:14 pm
    —
can I get an admin to move this post the tech section in the forum please - I messed up

howdy guys thought I would pick your brains

I have a area 51 with
17 960 processor locked at 3.2 gig
x58 mob cn-oxdj4c-69702-026-0942 rev03
ram is samsung 2gbx8 pc3 10600u-09-bo   m378b5673fho-ch  set at 1333 I think and a total 6gig right now
gpu was 2 gtx 260's both are dead now.
1k power supply

right now I am on a dum nextbook of my kids, I need help- yes I know its about a 10 yr old system but cant afford a new system, I can afford new ram and a new or used gpu.  what I need to know is what is the best gpu I can install with out it bottlenecking, as far as ram I think It can go up to 1666 triple chanel with a max of 12 gig - 3 sticks of 4 gig, even if its Samsung ram is fine with me.

I would like input on these two things if possible.
thank you
Bags
i did make a post at tomshardware which really didnt go any place other than i should replace the system.

#2: Re: tech help plus Author: JohnnyLocation: Wisconsin PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:27 pm
    —
I would get yourself a 1660ti or a gtx1060 used on eBay, either way it would be a good match for your rig. For ram with that Mobo it should be in tri channel for it to work properly. I do have a 12 gig tri channel kit here I'll sell for 50 bucks.

#3: Re: tech help plus Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:33 pm
    —
good morning sir

I was looking at the 960,970,980,1060,and the 1070, I wasent sure if those would be to strong of a card that makes me happy. ill look at the 1660 today. what is a kit is it different than just a stick of ram?

how you doing Johnny been awhile.

bags

I figured out the kit question. I sent a pm J

#4: Re: tech help plus Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:05 pm
    —
howdy

I ran the same question on the nvidia forums  https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1102707/pc-components/tech-help/post/6009784/?offset=4#6014046

the only thing i see is that 1070s are 8 pin power connection and my system uses a 6 pin connection.

and Johnny  yes i want that triple channel ram. but you need to call me to set up payment  - i dont use paypal
and I need to pick your brain on a new build.

thank you
bags

#5: Re: tech help plus Author: Snap71Location: Annapolis, MD PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:41 pm
    —
Hopefully this is a help, I replaced s six pin graphics card with an eight pin and my power supply output had a six plus two connector.  So I had the equivalent of an eight pin that is a six plus two.  The big thing is to make sure your power supply can handle the new card.  A 1070 needs at least 500 Watts from the card manufacturer I used EGVA or is it EVGA one of them.....

#6: Re: tech help plus Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:20 pm
    —
hi snap

it should its a 1000 watt and I have 2- 6 pin as well.

thanks sir

bags

#7: Re: tech help plus Author: Snap71Location: Annapolis, MD PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:11 pm
    —
Super - glad to pitch in. Make sue the new card it locked in that is very securely fastened and not able to vibrate that was a mistake I made and had a friend help me figure out how to lock it in. All the best!

#8: Re: tech help plus Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:28 am
    —
yea snap I looked at it closer today, I  was running 2 gtx260 6 pin my cable has 2- 6 pin connectors one pig tailed off the other, the last 6 pin inline also has a 2 pin pig tailed off it and i have two of these cable setups one blk wire and blue wire the other has black wires and yellow wires. so im guessing so i could run either 4-6 pin cards in sli or two 8 pin cards in sli and so again im guessing i really have are 2- 6+2 cables from the psu to gpu.
just not sure if a 6+2 is the same as a reg 8 pin.

i think i like the gtx980 will do a better job than a gtx1060 also looked at the gtx980ti but this thing eats 225 watts vs 165 watts for the reg 980. but to be honest anything bigger than the 260's I had would be a big jump lol. but if the pins I have will work with an 8 pin card the 1070 would be better. even if i went with the 980 it would give me play time and time start buying new parts for this case.

bags

#9: Re: tech help plus Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:35 pm
    —
got one more question

which maker has the better card.?  nvidia, evga, msi or ausus, I have zero"d in on the gtx970 4 gig mainly do to cost if im going to rebuild this case. thanks for your input.

thank you
bags

#10: Re: tech help plus Author: JohnnyLocation: Wisconsin PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 am
    —
I looked for that RAM and I think I gave it to a member HiFi.
If your going to go old school for a video card, I would at very least get a GTX 980ti. Look on eBay or like I said before get a rtx1660ti they would be close to the same price. The 1660 would be new and way better performance.

Last edited by Johnny on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: tech help plus Author: Snap71Location: Annapolis, MD PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:26 pm
    —
Cost drives and drove my decision with these other considerations Bags. I decided on the 1070ti as it’s performance was evaluated as just as good as the 1080. I agree with Johnny’s comment too. BTW I got an EVGA due to cost and also compared reviews and it had the specs that made sense to me. All OEMs have a slightly different take so please read multiple review sites to zero in on your decision. A good place will give the good and bad of multiple OEMs and they are specific to your card in question. Each card type per OEM will have different comments, so one could be better than another depending on the card. You will decide balancing cost, specs and reviews is my advice.

#12: Re: tech help plus Author: BagsLocation: michigan PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm
    —
as of today my head hurts lol.

Johnny give me a call when you have time sir I have some questions on a new mobo and processor options for my rig.
I have worries about going to a 1660 or ti  even though the price is in reach compaired to a 980 or the ti, the 970 runs about a hundered bucks cheaper then either of the 2 i listed above.

now as far as system ram i have is ddr3 6 gig- do i have to keep it at ddr3?  and if i go to triple channel will i have to go in to bios to make any changes?

snap thank you sir you have been a big help. im trying to do research its just this nextbook im on makes it a lot slower.but i will get there.

waht games is be playing now.

thank you guys
bags

Bad Karma -> General

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1