GFX cards
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 12Next  :| |:
Bad Karma -> General Technology

#1: GFX cards Author: smile PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:00 am
    —
Well I received my "bonus from work and was thinking about what i could spend it on.  I was thinking a new GFX card since i am running a 9800gt right now.  I tried to look at new egg and bestbuy and tiger direct but I get confused with all the numbers and such.  I was looking for a card thats 200 bucks or less.  Something that willl be the most bang for my buck.  I would need a pci express x 16 I am running it in a standard hp case so clearance could be a problem.  The 9800 is prettty snug in there right now.  Just looking for your suggestions.  I am over my head whats good and whats bad with these cards thanks

#2: Re: GFX cards Author: WannaBLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:00 am
    —
have you replaced the power supply?

#3: Re: GFX cards Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:05 am
    —
How long exactly is that card?  Also what is your power supply wattage?  Do you have one or two available pcie power connectors from the power supply?

#4: Re: GFX cards Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:11 am
    —
A lot of variables to your question but here are some cards to look at in your price range.

MSI Radeon 5770  I have this card in my other computer, no complaints with it.
Zotac GeForce GTX 460
XFX Radeon 5830

#5: Re: GFX cards Author: smile PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 am
    —
hmm I guess I did forget about the power supply.  I think it is a 500 watt not sure though since I am not at home right now.  I will have to look at my system when I get home with the questions that you have asked.  it has a pci x16 slot and a normal pci slot

#6: Re: GFX cards Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:12 am
    —
Should upgrade that too imo.

#7: Re: GFX cards Author: WannaBLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
    —
being that its an HP its probably like a 350w with crappy rails;

keep us posted as to what you find out Razz

#8: Re: GFX cards Author: smile PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:29 am
    —
Its not an oem ps I upgraded it when I bought the last GFX card I just can't remember what it is.  I am at work right now..lol...I will let U guys know tomrrow thanks

#9: Re: GFX cards Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:46 am
    —
500 or 350, I still suggest upgrading that too if you can.

#10: Re: GFX cards Author: smile PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:15 pm
    —
its a 500 watt ps and has only one gfx card connetion.  Its nine inches long.  seems I have a fan going on it too so I will have to take it apart and figure out what size.  I need.  Well I am not sure if I want to stick that much money into it I would be looking around 250- 300 then

#11: Re: GFX cards Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:01 pm
    —
And that's the problem with stock cases.  All of those other cards probably won't fit.  Not enough space.  Maybe Wannab has some thoughts.

#12: Re: GFX cards Author: SilexxLocation: SRQ, FL PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:16 pm
    —
New case, new PSU - then move over your MOBO and drives.

Then ugrade the card.

Just my two cents.

I am looking to build out a new system - I posted it on the forums, it has some components (with links to Newegg) that you may find helpful (for the case, psu, and gfx card).

New Rig

Hope that helps.

#13: Re: GFX cards Author: WannaBLocation: North Carolina PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:46 pm
    —
Good suggestion Silexx only the problem is most OEM's use special mounting in their cases. ( to prevent you from putting what ever motherboard replacement you want in it )

what your system specs? Then ill let you know what id recommend you to do from there.

#14: Re: GFX cards Author: SilexxLocation: SRQ, FL PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:54 pm
    —
WannaB,

I posted in my New Rig  thread - as to NOT highjack this one!

#15: Re: GFX cards Author: smile PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:13 am
    —
any idea what size the case fan is on this computer I have a model # number of the fan but can't seem to find it

Bad Karma -> General Technology

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 12Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2