Origin vs. Steam
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Bad Karma -> General Technology

#1: Origin vs. Steam Author: DamonLocation: Florida, USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:05 pm
    —
Has anyone else noticed Origin consuming 4-5 times the memory resources that Steam consumes?
It seems a little high.

#2: Re: Origin vs. Steam Author: LukeLocation: Grand Rapids, MI PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:17 pm
    —
Yeah Origin is a ok program but pulls more resources then steam and has less games. Over all I like steam better.

GOA.Luke*BK*

#3: Re: Origin vs. Steam Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:10 am
    —
I did notice that but I am not overly concerned with it.

#4: Re: Origin vs. Steam Author: WolfFangLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:59 pm
    —
Well the other thing to consider is the fact that the alpha is playing in browser mode; having all the extra stuff open maybe causing the increase in usage. But didnt seem to give me too big an issue either.

#5: Re: Origin vs. Steam Author: Nubsauce PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:39 pm
    —
Yeah overall the alpha gameplay is better than the lag stutters of black ops

#6: Re: Origin vs. Steam Author: tetLocation: Washington PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 pm
    —
Need to remember this too.  Steam has been around for years and has had it's fair share of problems.  Now it runs fine. Origin is a new platform and hopefully will see future tweaks for any performance issues.

#7: Re: Origin vs. Steam Author: DamonLocation: Florida, USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:49 pm
    —
The above memory consumption was captured without running any games.  It's just the memory consumption on my PC to run the applications themselves.  If you're like me, then you have a ton of spare RAM to cover anything you might need.  Unfortunately, some people might need every MB of RAM they have in their PC.  To me it just seems like an unnecessary resource hog in its current state.  I'm not a fan of any game requirement to run a separate application like Steam or Origin to play the game itself.  I just have to accept it in order to play the titles I like (ex: SW:TOR and BF3).

#8: Re: Origin vs. Steam Author: ThillionLocation: Pensacola, Florida PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:55 pm
    —
Well I no complaints. I ran Origin, Battlefield 3 game, and TS too, with no problems at all.  I both windowed and full screen, and the graphics setting on high. I had no lag, stutters or anything.
I am using a GTX 285 with 8 gigs of ram on a Phenom 9600 Quad core, and my GPU temps stayed at 50C.
All in all, its was fun and a great game to play. Wonderful game. I will be buying it.

Bad Karma -> General Technology

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1