Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:30 pm
GTPer View latest post
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:23 am
Snap71 View latest post
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm
mr-t View latest post

Braxis' Review: Spec Ops - The Line

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 pm
Well, its been a LOOONG time since I did one of these, and I finally found a game that I think NEEDS one.  Spec Ops: The Line (SO:TL) is a third person military shooter that on the face of it does not have the graphics or tight gameplay of Call of Duty or Battlefield, and seems to be just another studio jumping on the band wagon of the AAA shooter scene.  It feels like it was top of the line 5 years ago, the enemies run at you in predictable waves from predictable spawn points.  

Oh my, was I ever wrong.

A DISCLAIMER: (I will attempt to limit the spoilers as best as i can... but its tough.)  This game is not for the faint of heart.  It deals with very disturbing imagery, PTSD, Wartime atrocities, Torture, White Phosphorus and its use as a weapon... the list goes on.  

So now that we've got that out of the way, my thoughts.  This game... Its not a fun game, but it is a compelling game.  Honestly, I played through it in 2 sittings, and both times had to tear myself away from the keyboard; it's that engaging.  I read a review that suggested that this might be gamings' first Drama (that's theatrical drama, not soap opera), and I have to agree.  

They use an interesting choice mechanic, where they present you with 2 options on face value, but there are always other options if you take a moment to look. That said, you will never find yourself having a good choice and a bad choice; this is war, every single option they give you has consequences, and every one of those consequences is in some way beyond your control and not what you wanted at all.  And those predictable mechanics I was talking about before? They use those to enhance the sense of not complete control or reality, as if the events of the game and your reactions to them are slowly and inexorably slipping from the realm of sanity.  

Conclusion:
I think SO:TL is a very brave game, its challenges all conventions and really makes you question everything you take for granted about modern shooter games.  Generic gameplay does not hamper the experience, as they have used it as a metaphor to enforce the messages of the excellent storyline.  

If you like innovation in gaming, and want to see something different, I strongly urge you to not miss this game, it is VERY relevant.  

Also, check out these videos by Extra Credits, they are way more eloquent than I can ever be.
Watch Before Buying: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/spec-ops-the-line-part-1
Watch After Completing: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/spec-ops-the-line-part-2

SFC.Braxis*BK*

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm
Thx again Brax - will check it out