Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

Vote on removing Punkbuster from W@W. (READ BEFORE YOU VOTE)

Should we drop Punkbuster in W@W
Yes
76%
 76%  [ 35 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 46

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:18 pm
Punkbuster has canceled support for W@W no one can get the updates through punkbuster and many players are having issues with the game now. Activity on W@W is way down as our regular non members do not know what is happening.

With so many people being kicked from the server we are thinking of removing punkbuster so the server can continue on. That dose mean no more auto kicks for people with known hacks. It would allow people to play in our server.

So should we keep punkbuster and dramatically limit the number of players or drop punkbuster and let everyone play.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:44 pm
I voted Yes to drop PB.  I know that I play in there regularly and so do many other BKers.  BUT...if we are limiting the ability of others to get in (even BKers), then we are shorting ourselves.  I think with the game being mature, we have been able to manage the server quite well...even for those who play with "enhancements".  I say do away with PB and let's see what happens!!!

I will assume that, if needed, we could put PB back???  (i.e. Enhancements are out of control and the server get worse???)

Taz

Last edited by Tazman on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm
Just like creating a piece of artwork, you dont really know what its gonna look like until you get to it.
I think this is what we have here, we arent really going to know until we do it, but what we do know is that PB is causing problems for our server. If we keep it and our regulars go somewhere else then we have cut off a limb of BK, but if we lose PB and enhancment run rampant,  then it is up to the members of BK to police that. It may be difficult for some like myself to spot enhancments but i think collectively we have what it takes to police those players who need to take "steroids" .
My vote.....loose PB and keep the server alive.

PEOPLE FEAR.........what they dont understand.
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm
I considered this when I first found out about it. Most of our guests are regulars, cheating is generally easy to catch, and PB isn't really too hot at catching cheats anyway.  But will disabling PB remove the servers' 'ranked' status?I suggest making a scrolling message about it, and mentioning why the decision was (if it is) made.

What about running the same PB version as a default install?

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm
I vote to remove PB because of this issues it is causing now that they no longer support the game. Catching cheats/enhancements is not that difficult if you know what to watch for and its not really been much of an issue anyway with the exception of the odd case now and then. We don't want to loose regulars for the sake of keeping an outdated, unsupported tool.

Arte et Marte                             Per Ardua Ad Astra
Life is about falling – Living is about getting back up
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 pm
After reading the aforementioned posts, I willvoteto remove pb  However, perhaps a short boot camp on how to spot hacks blah blah may be in order.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm
OOhhhhhh....good call Digger.  I have been involved in spec'ing some of those in game.  I would be more than appreciative in having that boot camp!!!

Taz

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:13 pm
Maybe contact Evenbalance, see if they would give us what we need to keep Punkbuster operating as it should.  Possibly even get with other clans within World at War and have it entirely community run/supported.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 pm
I vote to get rid of PB . PB kicks and bans for WAW do not seem to be an every day thing now. Given the choice of losing PB or many BK and regular quests seems to be a
no-brainer to me , we will just have to step up our efforts to catch cheaters. Using DI boot camps sounds like a good idea to me to help identify violators . We may miss a
few now and then but I really don't see any alternative .

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:30 pm
Tet we have what we need to keep it working. The problem is each player has to install it and anyone new to the game will have go look for the files. Most players will just think the issue is on their side and stop trying.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 pm
I guess if I went from 3 kills and 30 deaths...someone might notice...lol so what ever is needed is ok with me...

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:59 pm
I voted to remove PB

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 pm
If PB is causing the problem then we need to fix it, cant have BK'ers running off somewhere else. I think a boot camp would help to at least give us all a refresher on what to look for as far as cheats and hacks/enhancements. Default PB might work even calling even balance  couldn't help. I would rather lots of BK and a few people we need to kick for not following the rules.

"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days"

Franklin, Benjamin.
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 am
I could never connect, getting meassage "no online services". Dummy me deleted the game from both pc's but no big deal to reinsatll. Therefore a question; when I reinstall and it asks if I want PB do I just select no?
Let's give it a try without PB.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:54 am
I haven't had any problems yet, but if it is causing problems with others BK's/players I agree to remove it.
Definitely need a boot camp, I wouldn't know how to spot a hack,(sometimes I can guess but not really sure).

[img]http://www.politeandfriendly.com/images/user_bars/tstbarfif.png