Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

Dayz

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:26 pm
Bought the game, played for about 2 hours.  Just exploring and minding my own business, Player kills me from behind with a rifle.  That is fine, when re spawned, everything I had gained was gone.  So, you can spend countless hours exploring and within seconds you can lose it all.  Game is confusing, I probably just wasted money on this game because it is just terrible.   Hope they reconsider it all, because I feel like you can put hours of work in this game and lose it quicker.  To frustrating, probably way better if you had friends.

-nano

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 pm
That is the thing about this game. People can be complete jerks and often are. I know several BK members play the game and I suggest teaming up with them. Sadly players with good equipment will often just kill you for fun if you are weak.

Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:54 pm
That is part of what makes the game so enjoyable for those that play it. Getting killed actually means something. If you started out fully geared, you wouldn't care about being killed. Even today, my heart still jumps into my throat when i hear footsteps or a distant gunshot.

Everyone gets killed eventually, after a fresh spawn. yes, there are jerks that will hang around the common spawn areas (the south-east coast) and just harass bambies. I'm even guilty of doing it a couple times. But not all players are instantly aggressive: just yesterday i was forced to use my gun to loudly kill a  zombie, and  i heard a voice saying, "Friendly!. Where are you?" (in-game voice travels about 80m) . I didn't answer, but typed into text that i was also freindly. I heard him walking close, so i brought my Ak sights up and waited for him to come around a corner. his weapon was out, but down, and we chatted for a bit, and I told him where I found various supplies that I had left in the area. We yapped for a few minutes and went our separate ways. Of course, I walked backwards with my sights trained on him until i was far enough to book it. So it's not all psychopaths... just 80%

Definitely team up with people. not only is there relative safety in numbers, but you can share gear and heal each other, if needed. Come on in - I can an extra rifle and revolver you can have, along with some food and ammo. You can even have my canteen. There's also the curve of learning where to find gear, and other little tricks. Now that they've added hunting and dressing your kill, you can spend all time in the woods with improvised weapons, and never go int a town.

I suggest getting the Dayz Central app for your phone, or use the Steam overlay browser and load this page: [url=dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus]dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus[/url].

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:16 am

nano wrote (View Post):

Bought the game, played for about 2 hours.  Just exploring and minding my own business, Player kills me from behind with a rifle.  That is fine, when re spawned, everything I had gained was gone.  So, you can spend countless hours exploring and within seconds you can lose it all.  Game is confusing, I probably just wasted money on this game because it is just terrible.   Hope they reconsider it all, because I feel like you can put hours of work in this game and lose it quicker.  To frustrating, probably way better if you had friends.

-nano

Death means something. It's not terrible.  You die, you start over. You lose all your gear/progress/whatever.  In DayZ you trust only your friends. Other players are to be avoided or killed because they WILL kill you if they can.

Some tips:

• Find lower population servers.  
  • Higher pings to servers isn't always bad.  I frequent servers where I have up to a 250 ping and I have no lag problems.
  • Stay away from the major towns/be very very careful when entering them.
  • P brings up the player list so you can see who and how many people are on the server.  Also helps see if anybody is close to you to a degree.
  • A sudden red chain on the lower right side of your screen could mean a player is in the area.
  • Your breath, the clouds, and floating debris almost always go east.
  • Turn your cloud settings to highest to help see better at night.(or stick to 24/7 day servers)
  • You can have one hardcore character and one regular character. I think most of us playing work on both.
  • Instead of the in-game map and compass I suggest using http://dayzdb.com/map.
  • You can open canned food with just about anything with a blade but you do spill a small amount with everything except a can opener.
  • You can take your shirt off and tear it to rags to use as bandages.
  • Weapon silencers don't appear to work correctly, but they still look cool.
  • Currently zombies are bugged and can walk and see through walls, but if you can run upstairs they more than likely will bug out and stop following you.
  • The Hacksaw is a great starter weapon. It can open food and works well when fighting zombies.
  • Most of the time you can't outrun a zombie, so turn and fight it.  Always aim for the head, even weaker weapons should knock a zombie down.  You should also try to keep circling around while fighting, they won't be able to hit you.
  • Don't trust strangers. Ever.
  • Seriously, don't trust strangers.
  • Drink and eat until your stomach is full.  This will make you energized and hydrated which will then give you a healthy status and help you heal when hit by a zombie.(you can drink from any fresh water source right now without needing to purify it)
  • Don't eat rotten fruit.
  • Other stuff I can't remember right now.

This game is pretty fun with friends.  So far I've played with Abram, Happy, Matt, and Ret I believe.  If you see us up in "Other games" on Teamspeak then we are most likely playing DayZ together.  The game CAN be frustrating when you are just starting out or having to start over, but I don't think any of us have a problem helping out with gear, food, or whatever else we can spare.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:28 am
As soon as you spawn,  take off your shirt and make rags. If on the coast,   head north until you find a factory,  at which you can usually find  a weapon. Stick to small towns for food and meds.  The best place to find guns  is in the houses with grand  pianos,  airfields,  schools,  Chopper crash sites,  barracks  and police stations.

As Tet says,  go into a low-pop server to suit up. 100%, join up with people you know.  Hopefully Tet won't bury his axe in your skull...

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:56 am
Just to add a couple of points.

If it moves SHOOT IT
If they say they are "Friendly" and raise their hands in the air. Press F4 then SHOOT IT

I am kidding but not really, People will say they are friendly just so they can kill you at some point later/sooner.
Play with and trust only people you know.
As Abram said, this is the only game that no matter how long you have played for, can get your heart rate racing FAST.

One important thing to remember, no matter how well geared you are, if you go to the NW Airfield, you will probably die.
But, sure is exciting while your alive lol.

Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:15 pm
One thing I do still find frustrating: logging in to a wiped character. Because Alpha.

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:52 pm
Stable changelof for .48.  Pretty sweet:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/207620-changelog-stable-048124737/#entry2080669

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 am
Likely character wipe coming on Wednesday.  It'll definitely happen soon,  if not this week.  They want to get rid of duped items and bugged characters.

"Dayz is just one big game of Monopoly. You spend all this time gathering the assets you want but in the end it all goes back into the box."

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:55 pm
I just might have to re install this game and join you fellows...

Last edited by SixFour on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:07 pm
Still no wipe.

Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:41 pm
Drats.  I guess they want to nail down the duping exploit before they wipe,  otherwise It'd be pointless.  Know they wanted to get .49 out in August.

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Don't care! i take back my original statement and this game is awesomesausage!

-nano

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:35 pm
Most people just get mad at it at first  (me included) and lament spending money  on it.  But most folks come around.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:06 pm
Well that didn't take too long.