Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

Diagnosing connection problems on games. COD in particular.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:59 pm
I was PM'ed about someone having issues. I wound up typing a lot more than expected, and figured I'd post it all publicly so i may help anyone else:

"Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In!"

Punkbuster is not the source of your problem. Packet loss means that data that is being sent to or from your PC is getting lost when going to the server. PB detects this as an unstable connection, and boots you from the server. PB shows the symptom but is not the cause.

There a couple things you can try: First, start the game and bring up the Console with your tilde ~ key, and type in \drawlagometer 1 . When you enter a match, it will show a little black box in the bottom-right corner of your screen. The top half is the data from the server to you, and the bottom half is the data from you to the sever.

Ideally, both the blue line in the top half (the data steam from the server), and the green line at the bottom (your data being sent TO the sever, and reflects your ping) should be thin, and have a regular thickness. If you see any 'sawtooth' pattern, or any spikes, that means that data is taking longer to get sent to and fro. If you see any YELLOW spikes, that is packet loss. Is you see and RED spikes, that is a connection interruption.

If packet loss is on the top, there's little you can do. If you have spikes or severe sawtoothing on the bottom, you can try a few things.

Bring up your console again and type in \cl_maxpackets 100. This should at the very least, lower your ping, as it increasing how many packets per second your PC will potentially send.

You can also try raising your max rate for server communication by changing your \sv_rate command. a fast connection will and can use a value of 25000 (the maximum) but see if lower values help.

There are two other comm-related commands that I've never had much experience with, but are data-transmission related. \cl_packetdup (packet duplication), and \cl_maxppf (packets per frame). I suspect that trying a higher packet duplication value may help with packet loss.

There's also a \snaps variable, which you can set to 30 (default is 20), however this will be limited by the server setting, and is generally set to 20 on the server side. Doubtful it will help, but it's worth a shot.

There could also be another program on your PC or network that is sending data while you play, and hogging the resources. Check for any transfers, scans, etc. Most games are tolerant to not having a  lot of download speed to work with, but if your uploads speed is choked, games will crap out.  

If you have a router, set the QOS rules, and give you PC priority, along with eh ports that the game uses. Also be sure to forward the ports the game uses, on your router. Most routers support UPNP, as does the game, but forwarding the ports never hurts. See this page for a guide on how to do it for your particular router: http://portforward.com/

If you don't have a router, get one. The newer modem/router devices that ISPs provide are sufficient, but a real router is the way to go. If you DO get a dedicated router, your modem must be set to 'Bridge' mode, which your ISP can set, remotely.

If none of this helps, and the problem is NOT on your side, try rebooting your modem and router, get a new IP from your ISP by either changing there MAC address on your router (if it has the ability), or call your ISP and request a new one - citing packet loss and conenction interruptions

You can test for packet loss by pressing Windows Key+R, and type in cmd, and hit enter. A small DOS window will pop up. enter ping -n 100  8.12.17.116 (the BK W@W server IP). It will 'ping' the server 100 times, and give show any packet loss when it is done. SOME loss is expected, but any more than 10%, and you've a problem. This little test can diagnose changes made by the settings mentioned above.

Or move closer to the server.

I guess that's about al I can think of. Good luck.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:43 pm
thanks Abram - I've been having some W@W issues lately, so this is a most timely post !  I appreciate you assistance !

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:27 pm
Thanks Abam for your help to BK with these troublesome problems. I'm sure all of our members are appreciative, as am I  !

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:38 pm
You da' man! I wish you would drop in to Black Ops every once in a while. See ya' buddy.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:21 pm
Oh HillWilliam,  i stopped  playing in the BK server because of my Genetal dislike for most non-tdm gametypes.  Nothing is song you do hoping into our servers. .. Just saying.

I just  hope this info helps out Dirtbag,  who requested this help.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:52 am
LOL

Abram wrote (View Post):

"Just When I Thought I Was Out, They Pull Me Back In!"

Maybe you are like the Uncle that people still go to anyway. Just for the wealth of knowledge in your noggin.

Â Click here for the MrKrinkle-BK-  YouTube channel

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:30 am
Thanks Abram!