Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:30 pm
GTPer View latest post
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:23 am
Snap71 View latest post
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm
mr-t View latest post

System restarted?

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm
Looks like I have run into a BIG issue with my computer last night...and I am not sure how to fix it or what I need to do.

I have Z97X-7 mobo, intel i5-4590k, 16 gigs corsair ram, 250 SSD, 1 TB hd, and previous a GT970

I went to replace the GPU last night with a G1 Gaming GTX 970 and had to unplug the 1 TB hard drive in order to get it to fit. Once I got it in there, I was able top plug the hard drive completely back in. I started the computer and it looked like it was "initiating" some sort of driver install. I figured this was for the new GPU.

It got to my login in screen and the resolution was big, again, like it was needing to install the drivers. When I went to go login into Windows 10, it told me I was not connected to the internet and to use my last known login. Well, I tried EVERY password that I could think of and I cannot get into my computer. Sure enough, when I look at the screen, it shows a big red "X" through the network connect and is telling me that none is available. Ok, so I figure that maybe the cord I was using was bad, so I take new network line and go directly from my cable modem into my computer, a line that I can see if working on the cable modem, but no dice...no lights, no connection, still cannot get in.  I then figure that maybe the new power source needed for the card is taking some "juice" from my board and not allowing full power to all components, so then I put my previous card back in...same situation.

Is it possible that this new card reset my mobo and drivers need to be installed...is it possible that it "fried" components of my board...is it possible that unplugging my 1 TB HDD made my computer "reset" and I need to reinstall or update my computer???

I am just completely at a loss, as I have replace GPU's before and NEVER had this issue...

Taz

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 pm
Have you tried to open Windows in safe mode? If you can check your drivers for the vid card.
I had a similar issue when I downloaded the Creator update for Win10. To verify go into your bios and set video to onboard gpu. If this works it's most likely the drivers for the gpu.

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:45 pm
I couldn't get into Safe Mode...it just goes into the login screen. I will see what I can do tonight to get into Safe Mode and see if I can get this working. I am hoping it is only the LAN driver and that I didn't short the network port when I put in the new card.

Taz

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:35 pm
You have to go back in your BIOS and reselect your boot drive when this happens.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 am
I will give that a shot Johnny...

Taz

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:09 pm
So...looks like I am down and out...corrupt registry and profile. Not sure I have it in me to re-install everything, so not sure how long I am going to be down.

Taz

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:54 pm
good luck Taz hope everything turns out ok...

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:03 pm
Profile is an easy fix (windows 10 still likes to corrupt roaming profiles from time to time) you just create a new one and copy files over assign ownership. (you shouldn't be running as admin in this day and age)  The registry corruption is unfortunate as it pretty much sinks it all though.  I've heard stories of sysadmins to could rebuild the registry with a hexeditor but I'm not one of them.. Though it does depend on where if its in the base system then yeah its a goner. but if its in drivers/user space finding a way to force it into safe mode or trying various repair methods could possibly save it

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:15 pm
If you can get ahold of it Microsoft DaRT 10 it provides a nice set of tools (officially you need a VLA w/ SA to get it though)

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 pm
Thanks Joe!!! This is actually forcing my hand to get a new build...and then rebuild my current machine/brick as a backup/storage.

Taz

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:09 am
For a storage device look at a LSI 9650se controller (they come in 2-24 port configs) and Icy Dock cages (its what I use on my second server at home for my homelab) both have preformed quite well under Xenserver and I would expect the same under Linux/BSD (Open Media Vault is a nice hands off distro)

The server runs a 4 port and actually my desktop is running a 2 port variant to offload the raid 1 storage array I use for the user directorys