Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:30 pm
GTPer View latest post
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:23 am
Snap71 View latest post
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm
mr-t View latest post

anti virus

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:27 pm
The time has come to get a new anti-virus.  Windows stop making a anti virus and on my other computer my anti virus has run out.  I was thinking about getting mcafee total security.  Its for up too 3 computers any thoughts???  Its on sale right now for around 30  bucks

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:03 pm
personally i would stay clear of Norton and McAfee, they caused me more problem than it was worth for me at least. updates seem to be very large and run at inconvenient times. also  i found they slowed my system down considerably.

i use eset smart security   eset.com

It is Going To Hurt
http://taylormadehosting.co.uk
Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:38 pm
Been using Kaspersky for a year now. No bugs in the system. Pretty neat. Sometimes overzealous if it comes to blocking applications, but its not annoying.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:07 pm
microsoft security essentials........I swear by it after norton and macafee let me down, oh and its free as long as u own a genuin copy of windows, best one on the market as its free and it keeps microsoft up to date on the latest bugs out there Smile

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:21 pm
Smile; I use and would recommend Avast! I have paid subscription for my office pc, and the free addition for gaming pc. More info and download here http://www.avast.com/index
All you need to do is register, no games/gimmicks and it's good for one year (which you can renew). I have experienced no slow downs/conflicts with gaming like some a/v programs.

Another option is MicroSoft Essentials, a free a/v program by MicroSoft for users of genuine windows products which can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Hope this helps!

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:47 pm
I use AVG on two computers, and Avast on one.  All the free editions, zero problems.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:57 pm
At home I use microsofts security essentials, at work we use Mcafee's network version.  We have a large network broken up by vlan's so if a  threat does manage to get in it is contained to that vlan.  But for the stubborn virus a Kaspersky boot disk works wonders.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:20 pm
When it comes to AV's you want an antivirus with a small foot note but still does its job correctly. When it comes down to it the top 3 antivirus programs ( they catch the most viruses ) have a HUGE foot note. While they have been slowly tuning it down, they are still are quiet large programs loaded into your memory.

With this being said i personally use ESET just as Mr.T. ( Smart Security ) They also over just the AV protection but the Smart Security has firewalls and all that fancy jazz built in.

The reason i use Eset is pretty simple, It has the best ratio of foot note to its ability to catch viruses.

Plus you can get millions of trial passwords on the net. ( Which isn't illegal btw just in case your asking yourself if it is )

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:59 pm
I am a Bitdefender user for 4 years now. Never had any problems with it and it does not slow down my PC. It also has a Gaming mode that you can set up to stat when you start the game or any application you  configure (stops updates while you game and modifies the protection so that your PC runs even faster). The Internet security version has firewall, spam control and parenting control in it as well.

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:57 pm
Over the last few years I have tried internet security suites from Zone Alarm, Bitdefender, and Mcafee.  Each year I would try something new with the last AV software lacking something I wish it had.  Mcafee is the first AV suite that I'm completely satisfied with.  If your going to be attacked with a known virus, chances are any up to date AV software will catch it.   Just find one that fits your wallet and is user friendly.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln
Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:09 am
I have used AVG for several years now with ZERO problems. It's a FREE program.

You could not pay me money to use Macafee or Norton.

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:44 pm
I use Avira.  Free edition is nagware but no issues otherwise.  I know a few folks who swear by BitDefender as it has a small footprint and gaming mode.