Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

How to change W@W to windowed mode.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 am
I've helped a couple of people recently switch their game to windowed mode so that they can alt tab into TS or various admin programs without crashing the game. A couple of people said that I should make a quick post about it so I figured why not.

First things first, we will need to access your multiplayer config file so that we can edit it and change a parameter. The location of this file will be
Code:
C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles\yourplayername  
where "yourname" is replaced by your user name and "yourplayername" is replaced with your ingame name with tags. (you can copy this path by hitting select above the path)

Once you have found this file I recommend that you make a copy of it to your desktop to back it up just in case you do something wrong.

After you have backed up the file go ahead and open it up in your favorite word processor. I prefer to use Notepad++Notpad++ but MS Word will work just as well. I would strongly advise you to use a program that has a "Search and Replace" function because the config file is several hundred lines long, so this process is a bit easier if you can simply search for the correct line.

Once you have opened up the config file you will need to either use a search function or manually find the line that contains:
Code:
seta r_fullscreen
This line will most likely have a option of "1" set at the moment and what you will need to do to enable windowed mode will be change that to a "0".

After you have changed that number all you will need to do is save the file and then your game will launch in windowed mode from now on.

If anyone has any questions or would like me to take some detailed screenshots from a couple of programs showing the process I would be happy to. In addition to that I am in TS pretty frequently to help out if you need assistance with this or anything similar. If you guys would like any other tutorials let me know!

Lethal

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 pm
Cool...I assume this will work for all games?  I mostly play W@W.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm
You can also a leybind for it: C;lick me, get money.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Choate wrote (View Post):

Cool...I assume this will work for all games?  I mostly play W@W.

This should work for most games in the COD franchise since they've been using essentially the same engine for each game. Other games like BF3 and such either have a menu option for it usually or the method is a bit different. If you have another game that you need help doing this with let me know.

Abram wrote (View Post):

You can also a leybind for it: C;lick me, get money.

Sorry that I basically copied your thread, I did a quick look to see if anyone had a post about doing windowed and I missed yours. I figure this is ok to leave up though because it is permanent instead of just a keybind to quickly switch?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 pm
going to try it tonight Lethal, Yours and Abram's post help out, crashing the game all the time when I alt tab out was getting old..Thanks to both of you.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

target wrote (View Post):

going to try it tonight Lethal, Yours and Abram's post help out, crashing the game all the time when I alt tab out was getting old..Thanks to both of you.

If you have any issues, I'll be on tonight ~11 central US time.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 am
I did the config last night...works perfectly in World at War....thanks!  Very helpful

Last edited by StinkyFeet on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 am
I've been told that some folsk can get away with Alt-Esc without a crash, but for me, it crashes as often as Alt-Tab.

PS - I've found that switching the fullscreen value often can sometime make your gun and ADS zoom go wonky. changing weapons (or dying) fixes it.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 am

Abram wrote (View Post):

I've been told that some folsk can get away with Alt-Esc without a crash, but for me, it crashes as often as Alt-Tab.

PS - I've found that switching the fullscreen value often can sometime make your gun and ADS zoom go wonky. changing weapons (or dying) fixes it.

I've only ever had that issue if I switched it while I was already in game myself. Do you have it if you start the game in windowed?

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 am
Hm I've never kept track. But i never game in windowed mode; i just switch to it so i can alt-tab to kick. Sometimes i quit after doing so, and the game will start in a window the next time i start it. But the remedy is easy and quick, so no matter. Though there are small programs that can make borderless, titlebar-less windows.. maybe Ill try one of those.