Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Favorite Android apps & games

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:20 pm
I'm surprised we haven't had a thread like this yet. Lets hear about your favorite Android apps and games.

Dead Trigger is a great FPS game for the Android.

For those of us with kids Life360 is a great app to track where your kids are if they have a smart phone and SMS tracker is a good app if you want to know what your kids are texting back and forth.

And for all you motor heads, Torque is a great app to monitor your cars performance and if you spend the extra $5 it has a lot of great features.

Asphalt 7 is a great racing app for only .99.

Last edited by km580 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:51 pm
Google Translate

Translate words and phrases between more than 65 languages using Google Translate for Android. For most languages, you can speak your phrases and hear the corresponding translations.

Handcent SMS

The most popular messaging app on the Android Market, Handcent SMS is a powerful SMS/MMS app that fully unleashes the messaging potential of Android devices,free to use. More than just an unsurpassed alternative to the stock Android messaging app, Handcent SMS features optional, seamless online integration with your My Handcent Online account allowing users to circumvent the limitations of the Android OS and wireless carriers.

HD Widgets

HD Widgets includes a dozen beautiful widgets that show current time, current weather, weather forecast, and utility switches. We put a TON of time into designing each widget to look great on every Android screen.

Nova Launcher

Highly customizable, performance driven, home screen replacement for Android 4.0+.  Accept no substitutes! Nova Launcher is the original and most polished customizable launcher for Android 4.

Rage Reader

Rage Reader is a clean and fast reader for rage comics.
You'll love it cuz:
- It is blazingly fast and simple to use
- You can share the comic directly by email
- Save comics directly to your Gallery
- Keeps on loading more as you scroll
- always updated from Reddit (more sources coming)

Scanner Radio

Listen to live audio from over 3,600 police and fire scanners, weather radios, and amateur radio repeaters from around the world (primarily in the United States and Australia, with more being added daily) on your phone.

Sky Map

Steam

With the free Steam app for Android, you can participate in the Steam community wherever you go. Chat with your Steam friends, browse community groups and user profiles, read the latest gaming news and stay up to date on unbeatable Steam sales.

Swiftkey Keyboard

SwiftKey replaces the touchscreen keyboard on your phone with one that understands how words work together, giving the world’s most accurate autocorrect - and predicting your next word before you press a key.

SwiFTP FTP Server

SwiFTP is an open-source FTP server that allows you to connect to your phone over wifi or cellular/3g to upload and download files. Any FTP client can be used.

Ulysse Gizmos

The best set of tools to help you in a travel with your Android™ phone:
- Compass;
- Speedometer;
- GPS status;
- Bubble level;
- Clinometer;
- Magnetometer;
- Map view;
- Location/waypoint address;
- Location/waypoint exchange;

World Of Warcraft Armory

The World of Warcraft Mobile Armory lets you stay connected to aspects of World of Warcraft even when you're not logged in to the game. You can view all of your characters (along with their stats and equipment); use the Auction House; search for characters, items, and guilds; chat with your guild; and more, all from your Android mobile device.

Plague Inc

Plague Inc. is a unique mix of high strategy and terrifyingly
realistic simulation from developer Ndemic Creations and brought to
you on Android by Miniclip. Can you infect the world?

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:30 pm
TeamSpeak for Android  - I'm in the private beta but there is a public one in the app store also. A great way to hope in TS and listen in when your in the car.

Swing by Swing - If your a golfer this is a great GPS and score card app. It will tell you how far from the center of the green you are and keep your score and help you figure out your handy cap.

College Football Radio and College Basketball Radio. Only 99 cents and gives you live audio of almost every football and basketball games out there. A few schools block it but I have almost always been able to hear the game.

RadarNow! - RadarNow gives you a loop of a your local NOAA radar feed. Great for seeing high lvl detail radars with little lag.

DirecTV - If you have DirecTV this app lets you set up recordings of shows to your DVD check channel listings and watch TV on your phone or tablet.

Tunein - Tunein is a great app to stream radio to your phone or tablet. Instead of searching for a station you just search for a show you want to hear or sports game and it will find all the stations streaming it for you. It also breaks out talk radio and sports radio as well as music stations. There is a free and paid version. With the 99 cent version you can record the radio and even schedule recordings like a DVR. Sleep time and alarm clock is available in both versions. You can also find Fox News/CNN/C-SPAN.

Evernote - Evernot is a great note taking app that will sync across phones and your PC. Take notes on your phone and read it latter on your PC.

FlightTrack - If you fly even just once or twice a year this free app will make it much easier. The app will keep you up to date on your flights from flight delays to what gate you need to be at. FlightTracker has informed me of changes before I got a phone call from the airline. If the flight is canceled or you miss it the app will show you alternate flights and the airlines phone number to call in and try to get a different flight. It will also show you a seating map of the plan you will be on so you know where your seat will be. Again a free and paid version. The free one you have to manual add your flights with the paid version you can have it auto added.

Point Inside - This is a great app that shows you maps of malls, stadium, and airports. If you are in a new mall or air port and looking for a store or place to eat this app will make it easy. It will also show you the locations of all the bathrooms. The app is free and can be a huge help when you are at a new airport, mall, stadium.  

These are just a few of the apps I use often.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 pm
well the best apps on my phone are the phone app it lets you ring people.
the other is messaging app let me text people.

It is Going To Hurt
http://taylormadehosting.co.uk
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:55 pm
Flashlight and Daily Garfield for duh win.

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:18 pm

mr-t wrote (View Post):

well the best apps on my phone are the phone app it lets you ring people.
the other is messaging app let me text people.

I'm looking for those but I can't seem to find them...LOL

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:15 am
I just picked up a new Android phone today. Haven't really played around with it much as I am trying to just get the apps I am used to using on my old phone on it and all synced up. Went from a HTC EVO 4G (Single core 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 512MB storage) to a LG Optimus G (Quad core 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 32GB storage). Only two things about it that I find discouraging about it. Battery is permanent. No swapping it out if need be. No micro SD car port. at least with that, the phone has a huge amount of storage so that really shouldn't be a problem. http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_g_e973-4941.php

Dr. D.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 pm
I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 at the moment...Looking to go over to Verizon and either get the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 2....with that said, I also use Handcent SMS Pro

Titanium Back up-I rooted my first Droid..

I use the Flashlight app

Foxfi-it allows you to use your phone as a hotspot, so if you want to get on the web with your ipad or some other WiFi device, you can..

Go Launcher Pro- instead of the Stock Home Launcher. You can add more screens and even have 3 customize-able app drawer on the bottom as well.

I'll add more later...but these are just a few of what I like to use..

If you can't take the pain, maybe you shouldn't play!
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Hawkeye wrote (View Post):

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 at the moment...Looking to go over to Verizon and either get the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the Samsung Galaxy Note 2....with that said, I also use Handcent SMS Pro

I use the Flashlight app

Foxfi-it allows you to use your phone as a hotspot, so if you want to get on the web with your ipad or some other WiFi device, you can..

Go Launcher Pro- instead of the Stock Home Launcher. You can add more screens and even have 3 customize-able app drawer on the bottom as well.

Handcent is a must have for me.  Best messenger replacement out there.  Also the rom I use has wifi tethering built in, so no need for an extra app for that.  And when you upgrade to a Jelly Bean phone check out Nova Launcher.  It is beautiful.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 am

tet wrote (View Post):

Hawkeye wrote (View Post):

I use the Flashlight app

Handcent is a must have for me.  Best messenger replacement out there.  Also the rom I use has wifi tethering built in, so no need for an extra app for that.  And when you upgrade to a Jelly Bean phone check out Nova Launcher.  It is beautiful.

Yeah, the wifi tethering thing I have on my Flashed ROM as well...that foxfi app, is for stock ROM's...however, it won't work with Jelly Bean anyway...

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:31 am
Drop Box is great  (Thanks Luke) for synchronizing my phone pictures to my computer. I have about 900 from phone now onto my external hard drive. Other than that it is the nfl.com app and ESPN fantasy football apps I use the most.  Cool

p.s. there is an app that will let you use your Android phone to fax a document. You take a pic of the document and send it off (great for Flex Spend Accounts which constantly need receipts faxed). DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF IT? A friend mentioned it to me but I forgot the name :S

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:36 am
I will admit to being a nub when it comes to these things. I don't root my phones or change out the preinstalled layouts. I basically had/have 7 screens to flip through for anything I need and they both worked great for me as is.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:11 pm

BoltAction wrote (View Post):

Drop Box is great  (Thanks Luke) for synchronizing my phone pictures to my computer. I have about 900 from phone now onto my external hard drive. Other than that it is the nfl.com app and ESPN fantasy football apps I use the most.  Cool

p.s. there is an app that will let you use your Android phone to fax a document. You take a pic of the document and send it off (great for Flex Spend Accounts which constantly need receipts faxed). DOES ANYONE KNOW THE NAME OF IT? A friend mentioned it to me but I forgot the name :S

Not sure if this is the one you are talking about or not, but Files Anywhere might be what you are looking for.. or eFax might be another one...Google it...You'll find the one you're looking for..