Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

Computer Help

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:18 am
Hey I play on your server all the time. just recently i started to have some rather annoying problems. I would get shot and die before I see the person and I would die and then jump back a bit to where I was a few seconds before i died. or die and than see the screen go red and blur or it says who killed me than a few seconds later i fall down dead. Now I'm not sure if its Comp related or internet related problem. But was looking for some input from you guys. I have a radeon HD6750 gfx card,    an asus p5k-e mobo,     3 gigs of gskill ddr2 1066 ram,     and a intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66 ghz proc.    Running windows 7 64bit.    windows is on a 75 gig HD    and all my games are on a 1tb HD,  1kwatt psu.    My drivers are up to date. I play the game on medium to low settings. being as Im not sure if its hardware and not internet. Now my card i got a year ago so i'm hoping that isn't a problem. I was thinking of getting more ram the problem is the type of ddr 1066 ram only comes in sticks of 2gig at the largest 4 gigs 2 sticks of 2, and my mobo natively supports it. So I wanted to stick with it. My problem is that I mobo only has slots for 4 sticks. Should I go with a higher gig stick with a lower number instead of 1066? or am I totally worrying about the wrong thing? And i'm not sure of my router settings, not sure how to mess with that stuff. it is wireless.

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am
I'd blame you being on wireless. Even the most stable wireless connection will lose packets, which really affects multiplayer. Does this happens on all servers?  Ffirst thing is to plug with into your router to see if that clears it up. If need be, you can get very long ethernet cables for pretty cheap at a few websites.

Uhm which game? We have servers on W@W, Black Ops, and BF3. If on a Call fo Duty game, bring up your "Lagometer". Just bring up your Console with your tilde (~) key (enable Console in options), adn enter "drawlagometer 1". Then hop into a match.  you should see your lagometer as a little black box with some colored lines in it, located at the bottom-right of your screen.

Your lagomoter has a blue line in the top half, which represents the packets from  the server. Ideally, it should be thin and if packets are late, you will see parts turn yellow. If packets are dropped, you will see red. The GREEN line at the bottom represent your ping - the lower your ping, the thinner the line. Once again, ideally the line should be a constant thickness (meaning a stable ping) and if packets are late you see yellow, if you see RED, packets are being lost.

I can go further unto this, but I'd prefer to know which game you're talking of before i delve deeper.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:15 pm
he is a BF3 player that dual core and only 3 gig mite be a little of the problem but im not very computer smart

Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:35 pm
Yes a quad core helps a LOT on BF3, as does RAM. Even a small bump from 3gb RAm will give you a big performance boost. But playing on wireless is just asking for trouble.

You can test for packet loss to our BF3 server 1 by doing this:

Hit your Start button in Windows, and select Run (or hit key Winkey + R), type in "cmd" and hit Enter. A DOS-like window will pop up.  Enter "ping 173.199.92.181 -t" and let it run for 5 minutes or so, then stop the process by hitting CTRL-C. It will show packet loss.  If you have more than 4% packet loss, then that is your problem.

If you can manage to plug an ethernet cable straight into you router and still get the problem, plug your PC right into your modem. If packet loss still occurs, I'd bug your ISP for a Line Test. splitters, loose connections, bad cables, and electronic interference can all have an impact on your internet line quality.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:28 pm
I'm giving the packet loss thing a check. Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately I live with my brother in his house the router is in the basement and my room is in the attic and I don't think he really wants holes in the roof and floors. My cousin works for Comcast I'll see If he has any ideas for a way to do wired. My mobo takes 1066, 800, and 667mhz ddr2 as far as I know. Should I stick with the 1066 speed or just buy more if the slower speed stuff? and for a cpu it can handle lga775 quad core, core 2 extreme, core 2 duo,  Pentium extreme, Pentium d, Pentium 4. I'm assuming everything belo the duo is a step down. so lets say I was going to buy all new ram and cpu what should I shoot for. and keep in mind it cant be too expensive I work off of minimum wage with commission. so the test is done running ran for 20 min had a phone call and forgot about it and 1415 sent 1425 received 0 loss rount trip approximate 36ms max 975ms average 43ms. Though also my brother plays ps3 online so that's without anyone else gaming if that will make a difference.