Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

new monitor set up

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:00 am
so i bought a third monitor but no matter what i do i can't get it to extend to the third monitor i have all the required parts and can't find any usfull info on the web.  If anyone can help resolve this problem your input would be appreciated ty

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:26 am
GPU and monitor models will be of great use to get you an answer.

AMD or Nvidia?  If AMD, you'll need and ACTIVE DVI/VGA to DP/DP-mini adaptor, depending on your GPU model. If at elast two of your displays have a Displayport connector, you do not. If Nvidia, it depends on what series you're using.

go here for all the multi-monitor info and gamefixes you can shake a stick at: http://www.wsgf.org/

They ahve a great bunch of folks that work hard on creating fixes for games that do not support multi-monitor setups natively, like the COD games. I've been using a triple/quad monitor setup for about 5 years, and it's pretty awesome. Be warned: you'll never want to back to gaming on a single display.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:30 am
its a asus directCU 2 radeon HD 7870 and i have a active dp to dvi also i know the monitor works i can use any two of them at once but when i try to enable the third using display settings all i get is (unable to save display settings).  i can't extend it in the ccc ether

set up is as follows
1 DVI to DVI monitor
1 HDMI to HDMI monitor
1 active DP to DVI monitor

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:17 pm
That should work fine.

i suspect you may not, in fact, have an Active adapter. While i was looking for one for my fourth display, I found many sites listing them as such, but further investigation concluded that many were not :/  Unfortunately, the passive adapters look the same in many cases. Does it have "Active" stamepd on it? If no, what is the make/model. There are also some brands that have been reported to have a poor track record for getting multi-monitor to work. I have an Accel (which I have), Sapphire, and ASUS make the best ones. Price is an indicator, too - Passive ones are under 10 bucks, whereas the cheapest Active I found was $24 (CAD).

Do all your displays run the same resolution? Although It makes no difference in Extended modes, it can halt the creation of an Eyefinity "group".  There's apparently been progess on this, but I run 3x 1920x1200, so I've never looked into it lately.

PS - if any of your displays have a Displayport input, you don't have to bother with the adapter. You MUST use at least one DP port on the GPU. Any combination of the other outputs will do.

PPS -  My adapter is Accell model B087B-006B. It's the mini-DP version, but it has a DP sister model.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:14 pm
its an accell and no it dosn't say active on it

Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:43 pm
I got mine from Amazon.co.uk (manufactured by Sapphire and both have 'Active' stamped on them):

SKU 44000-02-40R Active Displayport to Single-Link DVI Adapter
SKU 44000-03-40G Active Mini Displayport to Single-Link DVI Adapter

As a guide, these were both twice as much as non-Active ones.

I also fell for a cheaper non-Active one ;-(

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:11 am
yep the one i had was a passive adapter i bought the one abram was talking about pluged it in and it turned right on ty everyone for your help and your time  Very Happy

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:27 am
Groovy.  Hopefully the guy that sold you teh adapter will not put someone else through that.

A little tip I picked up a whiel ago: you can switch very easily between Single/Dual/Eyefinity/Extended by using the Winkey+P keyboard shotcuts. THe CCC Hotkeys can be flakey.

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 am
that sounds cool and you weren't kidding when you said u'll never want to go back to a single monitor i love it Very Happy.  i just have one more question can you get rid of the skewed veiw on the two side monitors?

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 am
Nope. Its the nature of how games handle those high FOV angles. I've only seen one game - a racing sim - that lets you adjust those sides. The side screens are more for immersion than actually focusing on. You can always reduce the FOV to reduce the effect. Me, I use the highest FOV on just about every game; if i can achieve a slight fisheye effect on the centre screen, I'm satisfied.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=14082

Alternatively, you can use your displays in Portrait Mode. It's still much wider than 16:9, and will reduce the stretch at the edges. The only drawback to this is that it makes viewing movies on a single screen a little lame.

You may also be interested in removing the bezels to reduce width of the screen edges. Not for the faint of heart, but it's really easy on some models.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=18771

And now that you have 3 displays, ahve a look at a triple-monitor stand. I have have a Ergotech Model 100-D16-B03 with the wing extension, and I'm pleased as punch.

Yes, WSGF is a pretty sweet site, I found them after i got my first widescreen display and need a game fix. Tosn of helpful information, but they also led me to buying more display, ditching my TN panels for IPS type, and shelling out for that stand. All in all, over a grand.. still, worth every cent.