MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

System heat issues

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm
hey everyone
as some of you may be aware i was asking about temp checks etc afew weeks ago because my system keeps crashing (with a bsod). i got no idea why, it seems to happen after i have done some heavy work on it ie building websites, or a gaming session over an hour. but like i said it seems to heppen after not during (it occasionally happen during).

anyway i have used a couple of different programs but speedfan seems to be the best results

fan1: 2686 rpm
fan2: 1110 rpm
fan3: 1077 rpm
fan4: 0 rpm
fan 5 6081 rpm.
i have 5 120mm case fans, cpu and psu fans, gpu exhaust fan a secondary exhaust fan and 3 30mm fans near my ram

i'm getting temps of
gpu 38C
temp1 39C
temp2 49C
temp3 80C*^
hd0 38C
hd1 129C*^
core 53C*

* = too hot.
^ = positive there broke.
now i have just turn my system on so these are starting temp obviously during work or games they go up (not sure).

i am looking for advice on how to reduce temp (preferably without spending money).
and before someone suggest liquid cooled my luck with computers means thats not going to happen.

It is Going To Hurt
http://taylormadehosting.co.uk
Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:20 pm
If that hard drive reading is correct, pull the data from it and run the system without it.  See if that solves your problems.  What is that hitting 80c?

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm
I'm no expert MrT but I'll try to help( I build all my pc's)
#4 fan appears to be not working, is this a case fan? #5 fan where is that? This one is working real hard. The core temp is a little high, my rig now is showing the core at 50c. A trick I learned to check if temps are a problem is to remove a case side panel and aim a portable fan inside the case. If you still have an issue it's not from temps. I also have a tool I picked up that plugs into the 24 pin mobo connector from the power supply. It'll check for any loss of voltage to the mobo.
The bsod can be from the power supply or the even the hd if it has a bad sector.
I hope I was some help.

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:29 pm
I use Speedfan myself, it saying 0 rpm on a fan could mean there is no fan on that sensor, or it just isn't reading it correctly.  Ditto on whatever is at 80c.  Also, what are your core and gpu temps under load?

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:43 pm
What BSOD code ar you getting?

I try to clean out my PC durung late spring to preperation for the stupid summer. A fan controller helps, too.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 am
I'll try and get temps while under load tonight. I have has several fan controllers but they always break the last one all the temp sensors went within a week of the first one

Was looking at a couple of things that I would hope will help like changing the air flow from front to back to bottom to top. I have a cooler master cosmos case and was looking at the Cosmo 2 for my next system when ever I can afford it

It is Going To Hurt
Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 am
I never use temperature sensors on my fan controllers. I just keep my CPU alarm setting pretty low and max out my fans if it goes off. Besides, msot fan controlls have relatively large temp sensors and are too cumbersome for ideal placement - though it can be good for comparisons' sake.

In the end, a good clean-up and proper airflow direction is all one really needs, but:

In most cases (get it - cases?), the ideal is in IN at the bottom/front/side, OUT at the top/rear, with CPU fan pushing towards the back. This allows some airflow over the HDD, RAM, Northbridge.  Since have a rather large case (a HAF 922), I was able to suspend a 120mm intake fan at the front, beneath my two burners. Last build I did, I tried a few configurations, and that certainly worked best for me. Not sure about your case, but some allow you to flip the PSU over, pulling more warm air out. OF course this will warm up your PSU a bit, so the trade-off is up to you.

I'm willing to bet your temp3 is your Northbridge, and they can safely handle some pretty since temperatures. In my smaller-case HTPC, it's always the highest temperature of all components, and it
s been happily chugging long for 5 years or so.

Then there's the cleaning. Get a can o' compress 'air', a high-quality paintbrush (i use a 4cm width), and clean that sucker. take everything out but your mobo, and use the compressed air on filters, all heatsinks, across your board - even the  , and use the brush on your fans, stubborn heatsink bunnies (or a stiff implement like a stir stick or something, even a slightly damp cloth on fan blades. Same goes for your GPU. Use teh brush on the fins, and blow out through the fan and out the rear, than the other way. If you have some quality thermal paste, this is a good time to reapply some. Remember, all you need a a tiny amount.

If you're feeling more adventurous, pop off your GPU heatsink and apply some high-quality thermal past on there, and also allows for a more thorough cleaning. Pop the cover off your PSU (it's very easy, but will void any warranty), and blow that out a bit. You can also 'lap' your CPU and CPU heatsink with high-grain sandpaper (there are good guides around on how).

As for supposed tolerances, 80c for CPU, 100c for GPU, and 120c for NB.

If you GPU loads temps are high I suggest using MSI Afterburner. It works on pretty much any card (both Nvidia and AMD), and allows you to set a custom fanspeed curve. The cards' default curve is usually good, just raise the entire curve a bit so that you can get ahead of building heat.

Do you have any after-market coolers? Even if you don't overclock, even a cheaper CPU heatsink is better than stock. Arctic Cooling sells some for under $30 CAD that perform quite well.

PS - do the cleaning outside, or you'll have a layer of dust in your house. Some folks recommend a low setting on an actual air compressor. But some do not have condensation collectors, and the friction of all that air racing over components can build a static charge. Naturally, ground yourself before mucking about inside the case.

If some fans lack a filter, stretch some pantyhose over the fan or cover. Cheap and effective. And the odd looks from cashiers is a bonus.

PPS - Yes. Cable management.  it appears the Cosmos has enough room behind the other side panel to route your power cables around the rear of the motherboard plate. Velcro and zip-ties are your friends. Modular PSU? remvoe unneede cables.  try to stuff slack cable into spaces. Pretty sure that case has factory or improv-ready tie off points. Too cables too long? take them out, coil around a pen, leave it for a few minutes, and place it back in. try to get as much cable out of the way, but keep it from blocking spaces where airflow is needed, like between HDDs or sitting against RAM.

Last edited by Abram on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:52 am

mr-t wrote (View Post):

I'll try and get temps while under load tonight. I have has several fan controllers but they always break the last one all the temp sensors went within a week of the first one

Was looking at a couple of things that I would hope will help like changing the air flow from front to back to bottom to top. I have a cooler master cosmos case and was looking at the Cosmo 2 for my next system when ever I can afford it

The case is probably fine. One thing I would look at is the PSU. I swapped mine out for a modular unit. It allowed me to only put in the power cables I needed , and route them neatly, instead of having a big ball of wire tied wires hanging somewhere in the case. I use an Antec 300 case with one large fan exhausting out the back, and one in taking cool air in the front. Makes a good air flow over everything. I use the stock I7 fan and heat sink .

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:17 pm
ok my airflow was already bottom to top as its the only way to do it in a cosmos.

any way i played a round our waw to get the temps under load and here they are:-

gpu 67c
temp1 53c
temp2 67c
temp3 82c
hd0 40c
hd1 129C*^
core 71c

and current temps are:-

gpu 46c
temp1 44c
temp2 54c
temp3 81c
hd0 39c
hd1 129C*^
core 58c

It is Going To Hurt
Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:07 am
The core is geting a little high. If you're using the heatsink and fan that came with it you may want to look at a larger heatsink/fan. Also check your thermal paste application.
Did you find out what component temp 3 is?

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 am
Nice.  But yes, that CPU temp is still a bit high. Get some thermal paste and re-seat your heatsink. I'm guessing you have a bit too much paste.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 pm
i haven't seem to had as many issues since giving my tower a bit of a dust out (didn't even think of that) it seen to have dropped my temps about 5C at idle and even more when under a load. but i am starting to save for a new system as most of this one is over 6 years old

thanks for all the help.

It is Going To Hurt