Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

DayZ feedback please (Bought it)

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:48 pm
Thinking of buying this title. I have left 4 dead which I have played out.

Just wondering if anyone plays this and if it is worth it.

Thank you[s]

Last edited by SixFour on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:27 am
I grabbed it a couple weeks ago, and i think it's pretty fun. Huge map (it'd take you over two hours to sprint across the entire thing), scavenging for loot is fun. You join a server, and just explore. When/if you encounter other people, it's hard to predict what they will do. Some just want to explore, some want to team up and trade, some want to kill you right right off the bat, and some will hold you at gunpoint (the game has map-localised voice chat) to steal  supplies from you.  Best to travel in a group, if you can.  Look at some videos on youtube, and you will see the odd things that people do in the world.

It's currently in Alpha state, and the Beta apparently will not even be out in 2014. As the development proceeds, the price will go up. The devs have claimed that it will never have microtransactions, and will never use  a subscription service. It got its' start as a mod for ARMA 2, and if you see the features of that mod, it's just the tip of what they want to do with Dayz by the time it's released/. When It'd done, it'll be pretty amazing. They keep adding town/cities items to the world, keep adding features like cooking, crafting, vehicles, and lots of other stuff.  You get no map. when you start a new life, you get plopped on a coast with nothing but a bit of food and a flashlight. No map, no water, no weapons. You get tired, hungry, thirty, wounded, poisoned if you eat bad food, and zombies go after you. Currently, there are not so many zombies, but they have good vision and a bit of a pain to kill unless you dig up a decent weapon. I was overjoyed when i came across a badly damaged, yet functional compass.

The graphics are pretty nice, and it's a little hard on your system, but the graphics are very scalable. It' has a day/night cycle, weather patterns, nice ambient noise. The controls are many, the HUD is very basic.

The bad: it's glitchy (it's in Alpha, after all). Zombies can walk through closed doors, items persists on your person, but not in the world - although they plan on adding it by adding  loot caches you can set up, though if another person happens to find it, they can loot it for themselves. Currently, what you have is only what you can carry, and you have to prioritise a balance between meds/food/weapons/ammo/clothing. Your clothing also affects your states of wellbeing. You get wet, itmes wear down from regular use.

Oh, and it's nothing like Left 4 Dead. Zombies are rather incidental; It's the other players and the environment that will get you. I'd suggest starting out on an empty or barely-populated server.

Really, it's what you make of it: you can explore and pretty much do nothing and find goodies, or you can team up with folks, or you can murder people for loot or just for fun.

It's fun, it still needs work, and it's shaping up to be an excellent game. The Developers release updates to it on a weekly basis and they really work like dogs. is it worth $30 right NOW? Maybe not, but it will be. I certainly feel like i got my moneys worth.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:32 am
Thank you sir for your detailed analysis

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 am
It should be stressed that while the zombies do suck, it is the other players you should really be worried about.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 am
Copy that. Thank you . Just bought it.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:40 am
Good buy SixFour, I think it is worth the money even though it is Alpha. I, like Abram have already played it enough to feel I have my money's worth out of it already. Now it is back to the coast for me, someone came to the door and I left the game and came back to a dead empty body Sad

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm
Oh Happy,  it only takes a few seconds to find a bush and go prone.  Of course   if you're within a city,  they'd a bit  more tough...

PS -  there's a nice  "Dayz Cental SA"  app that has an excellent map and other information.  The Pro version is only a buck.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:10 pm
Zombies are easy to hide from, scavenging for guns, armour and food is great. Zombies sometimes glitch out, but are pretty easy to get away from, bear in mind that a gun shot alerts some near by zombies and players, so don't waste your bullets because sometimes ammo is scarce, I'll happily help you out if you do decide to buy it, and anyone who wants to play, send me a pm!

It's worth the money though.

First come, first serve'

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:16 pm
Add me on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970579025

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:14 pm
I have Dayz and it is fun

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm
So far I have broken my legs and found my self bleeding out from an encounter. LOL. I will forward my steam address when I get back home.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:45 am
Hey just got DAYZ from Silhouette, We gotta all squad up, let me know when ur playin

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:28 am
Definitely.  Watch for folks who are playing it on your friends list.  I've been playing if more than anything else lately.  Even at its relatively early stage,  it's quite addictive.

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:42 pm
Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:58 pm
Guess I need to scrape together the cash for the stand alone since that is what everybody else is on.