Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

The rules discussion thread

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 am
Or a way to say something without be kicked!

Oh yes my dear friends. I don't know if that is a rule or not, but now I know that is impossible to complain something in the servers. So, I'm here to discuss THE RULES.

Well, in fact I play in BK servers for  months, almost everyday and I play there because I like of the rules.

For me, at this moment, there is no better game that CODWAW when played under tactical rules.

I used to play at 7th CAV, but the rules became to start crazy, you can't run, you can't stand, you can't fire the wall, you can't this, you can't that, and the question is: where if the fun? And where is the pretense realism, the minimun pair with the real fight. Real soldiers don't have brain?

Well, unhappily I've seeing the same "startint something" in the BKs server last weeks. There are rules, and that are ok, but like in real life, where there is law and judges to interprete the laws, in the servers we have rules and admin to interprete them.

The fact is that it looks like anyone now can become an admin. There is a lot of new one, and that could be excelente, if each one was a sensible judge, but that is not what has happened.

Or the rules are wrong, or the interpretations are wrong, but something is wrong, and I'm sure that it is not me.

Lets to an example: you have some new guy that run from his base to your base at start and take advantage of the position. It is a rule braking, and it is not fair. You complain against him in capital letters and the admin, instead of give him some advice, comes to you and says that you had ran too.

Yes, you had ran, but just a few steps, maybe 6 or 8, to scape from a sniper lane, where you know, by experience, that there is a sniper covering and you will be a fixed target if you just walk when crossing that area.

The admin should know that. An admin must be someone that knows the map, knows the game, and knows that he cant stop the good, old and respectful players to play the game like it is meant to be played.

We need sense, good sense, to make rules and to give the rights to guide the server. The rules says: "you can't run except under fire or nades, and open areas" but does not define what are the "open areas".

The rules need to be changed to "excep under fire, nades, and areas where snipers are covering".

So if a team has 3 snipers, some maps become unbalanced under actual rules, because some "admins" don't know (or dont want) how to define where someone is running from  fire or to avoid fire, or where he is just a runner breaking the rules.

So, what is deal? What can be done to improve this situation?

We can't complain on the servers, I think we can complain here. Hope my complains are not taken as offense.

As I said, I play at BK servers pratically all nights for months, very before the majority of new "admins", and I like the server just because the rules. But I think they need to be improved, and some server admins must to be "trainned".

Thank you all and sorry for my bad English.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:52 am
Soro thank you for taking the time to make such a great post. Its always great to hear feed back from players on our servers.

As for the admins and how we enforce the rules we are in the process of restarting mandatory admin training again. So all admins have the same training on how to enforce the rules. We hope this will clear up any issues on admins enforcing rules differently. We are constantly working to ensure a 24/7 coverage of our servers.

As for running in our servers. Running is only allowed when under fire or in very large areas. These do not include running down the middle of roads, next to walls or trees, and in buildings. This is by far our most difficult rule to enforce. We hope that updating all admin training will reduce any confusion on this rule.

Please feel free to contact me directly at Luke [at] BKops2 [dot] net.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:25 am
Soro,

The only thing I am going to comment on this is regarding your comment about running through a "Sniper Alley".

How real is it that if you know there is a "Sniper Alley" you would run through it? In the real world, you would find an alternate way around as to not die. Fortunately in this game environment, you respawn and hopefully learned that going through a "Sniper Alley" is not safe.

If you know somewhere has a sniper alley, my suggestion is to use smoke, flares or just find another way around that doesn't make you a target and doesn't include running.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:57 am
I'm not saying that if there is a sniper covering an area IRL your should be so stupid to run in front of him, of course not Very Happy

I'll try to configure a scenario to explain better some situation very knowm from all of you here: the short time of the smoke camouflage.

Take in consideration that this game is a type of arena's game, or a kind of chess game, and you need to take strategic points to assure the advantage of your team.

That said, we all know that as soon as you get some points, better the match develops for you.

So YOU NEED to try to advance, and take terrain. That is the game, we all know that.

And you are in a map that has just two ways to take those points, and both are covered by snipers or campers. What do you do?

You toss a smoke, and you have just one. And the time of duration of its effect is too short, made by the devs to permit a short run from cover to cover or to invade a room.

There is no other way. You have this unique option, or:

a) You wait for a smoke nade from a friend and try again
b) You pray for the gods that the snipers is getting asleep when you walk in front of him like a duck
c) you die

And when an EXPERIMENTED admin see something like that, and when the guy that is doing that is someone who frequently is in the server, is one of the best players, and one that is always calling the runners to the rules, what should this admin to do?

He should think: man, this guy is just being tactical. He is not running around the map, he is not teamkilling, he is not a wrecker, he is just playing the game.

But know, there is always a noob, and you Bolerro has being one of them, that think that to be a good admin is to spread the rules with maximun rigidity for all players, no matter the situation, no matter the experience, no matter nothing.

This is not the better way to make the server better.

It is very easy to distinguish the real runner from the tactical short runner. If you, or if another admin has no undertanding of this, it is a problem that the high administration must to study carefully.

And remember, we are not in real life, that is a game, thanks God it is just a game, and our objective is have fun, not to be stressed after a hard working day.

So, please, tell me where anyone here see me running against the rules, except when tactically I need to get cover or use the short time of the smoke covering?

I never brake the rules except one that says that we cannot complaing in the servers, and for that I ask for excuse here, for you and for any other that has felt offended or bored for my insistent typing.

But I know because I know, that the rules cannot be misunderstood, and cannot be more rigid than they are for now. I know how to play, and my usual high score show that I'm not a noob.

Please, don't think I'm fighting anyone here. I really like to play in BK servers, and that is why I try to discuss this thing with you all. If it was diferent I simply would change for other server (there are many) or other game (there are many too).

Hope this thread doesn't die without generates some discussion.

Once more, thanks for your attention and patience and sorry for my bad English.

Silvio

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:01 am
Excuse me? I can't believe you just called me a Noob! And here I was starting to have some sort of respect for your opinion.

Let me explain something to you Soro, just because I hold EVERYONE who plays on our servers to the same standards does not make me a Noob. You are not the first person who has been asked to not start argumentative discussions on the servers. ANYONE who starts disrupting the servers gets the same warnings to stop the discussion before the admins take matters into there own hands and stops it for them.

Yes, I give out warnings in regards to running/walking unsighted, language, server disruption, etc. That is part of being a Bad Karma member. We are all supposed to help monitor the servers and issue warnings when appropriate. Just because you do not like the way we have our rules does not mean we will change them. Trust me, the single squeaky wheel does not necessarily get greased. In some cases, the wheel is just discarded and we get a new one.

Just like the rest have stated, we appreciate the feedback that we get from everyone who plays on our servers. But to go in game, start a complaint about how you do not like the rules and how it ruins the game and then try to get others to agree with you is not acceptable. There are plenty of other servers out there that allow running, so you may want to try those servers.

To answer one of your questions about when you were running on Seelow. You went from the Russian Barn heading to the Center Pass. This would be like running down the street (not across) in Downfall which is not acceptable. You obviously didn't start running because you were under fire, you ran because you knew it was a space that has absolutely no cover and hoped to make it. Heck, you didn't even pop a smoke nade, you just started running. If you had been running from one side of the arch under south bridge to the other heading to South tunnel, then that would have been a different story since it would have been more like running across a street then down it. But that is not what you were trying to do at the time I gave the warning. As for any other warnings, honestly I don't remember any other ones besides that one on Seelow.

Also know this, a warning is just that... a warning. Warnings don't get you kicked. Continuing to run or walk unsighted gets players kicked. Also players will get at least 2 warnings before being kicked for running/walking unsighted. So don't get so upset just because you got a warning. Just accept that whoever saw you running/walking unsighted witnessed it and asked that you not do it again.

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am
Bolerro, sorry for the "noob" thing. I don't know you, and had no rights to say to you. My feelings.

About the rules I don't complain. I complain about the misunderstanding that sometimes I see in the servers.

Why I don't see the same behavior with all the admins? Why there are admins with whom  the server runs soft while with others the thing goes heavy? Think.

Well. I think this is enough, isn't it? This talk is starting to get boring..

See u in the servers, and once more time, sorry for the "noob" thing.