Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

bsod.....this is bothering me now....

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:05 am
hi all, almost every time I log into either COD or BFBC2 I get the blue screen of death after about 5 or 10 minutes. It only happens the once then it runs fine for the rest of the time. The reason that comes up is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA  and I googled it to find its something to do with my virtual memory.....now I tried the options to fix it but it is still a problem and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt....im sure my operating system is fine -2 cpu's, 4gb ram, twin 8800 nvidia, its all scanned and protected but this is starting to be a pain in the behind....
any offers of help appreciated Smile

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:14 pm
virtual memory is normaly hard drive space temporay used for loading up software ect.
I would do a scan disk vie clicking on hard drive , selecing properties, tools ,error checking

reboot it should take about 10 mins or so maybe longer , but this would check hard drive for bad sectors ect.

Virtual memory is a common part of most operating systems on desktop computers. It has become so common because it provides a big benefit for users at a very low cost.

Most computers today have aprox 1 gig of ram RAM available for the CPU to use . Unfortunately, that amount of RAM is still not enough to run all of the programs that most users expect to run at once.

For example,  if you load the operating system, an e-mail program, a Web browser and word processor into RAM simultaneously,1gig  is not enough to hold it all. If there were no such thing as virtual memory, then once you filled up the available RAM your computer would have to say, "Sorry, you can not load any more applications. Please close another application to load a new one." With virtual memory, what the computer can do is look at RAM for areas that have not been used recently and copy them onto the hard disk. This frees up space in RAM to load the new application.

Because this copying happens automatically, you don't even know it is happening, and it makes your computer feel like is has unlimited RAM space even though it only has 2gb  installed installed. Because hard disk space is so much cheaper than RAM chips, it also has a nice economic benefit. ­

­ The read/write speed of a hard drive is much slower than RAM, and the technology of a hard drive is not geared toward accessing small pieces of data at a time. If your system has to rely too heavily on virtual memory, you will notice a significant performance drop. The key is to have enough RAM to handle everything you tend to work on simultaneously -- then, the only time you "feel" the slowness of virtual memory is is when there's a slight pause when you're changing tasks. When that's the case, virtual memory is perfect.

When it is not the case, the operating system has to constantly swap information back and forth between RAM and the hard disk. This is called thrashing, and it can make your computer feel incredibly slow.

Last edited by Grim on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 pm
Sounds like things might be getting to hot or windows has gotten corrupted ^_^

You might wanna check for viruses or any other malicious software that might be running. Also check to make sure your virtual memory hasn't gotten changed to another amount; ( If you don't know how to check just ask Razz )

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm
I read about that error on few Croatian IT forums. Basically you probably have a bad sector on the part of the disk used by virtual memory. Data is written on the disk but when it is needed it is corrupted. Do an error check how Grim explained but check the "scan and attempt to recover bad sectors" box. This procedure will find and try to recover bad sectors and if it fails it will restrict access to that part of the disk. By doing that it will assure nothing is written on that part. However bad sectors are actually physical damages on the disk surface and they will spread eventually.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 pm
How many physical drives do you have?  You could move your page file to a separate drive.  Let me know if you need an extra hard drive to test.  I have a 60gb ide and a 80gb sata setting around just waiting for my next side job.  Free of course, I need you to be up and running I have yet to get your dog tag, lol.  Although I think you have two of mine.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 am
Grim and RedDragn know what they're talking about. Did your bsods stop occurring? How old is that hard drive that you get crashes on? Even new hdd can have faulty sectors. What would be the appropriate size of the page filing system? 1.5 out of 4.0 GB??? I know if you have enough ram that page filing doesn't even need to exist perhaps except for a bare minimum of something like 16 MB. (to what I understand).
You can also do the check disk with the f12 key on many pc's when it is booting. hard drive diagnostics.
My virtual memory page file size is 8189 MB for all drives. it state minimum recommended is 16 MB and what is recommended is 12283 MB. Does this mean they recommend 12 GB of RAM?

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 pm
I give up, tried everything, stupid piece of *enter comment here* still wont play ball, oh well maybe wait till I can buy another hard drive.....yawn.....thanks for the support guys Smile (must be the hard drive as I only replaced it when ts3 came out cos my old 1 didnt want to know and its only been playing up for about last month)

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:56 pm
How often is the hard drive removed from the case? I over heard you and Pompey switch out hard drives?

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:18 pm
not done it with this hard drive and we have an external drive that we use to transfer data......not our internals..... Smile
im thinkin of askin novatech to do a check on it......see what they say

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:50 pm
hold on....looks like the BFBC2 beta might be the problem....just uninstalled and the game ran fine.....if it is ok tomorrow too then I will take it thats the problem sorted Smile
thanks to who told me

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 pm
Its great to hear that you may have a fix Ladyhawk. I think it will be a good idea for everyone to remove the BFBC2 Beta. You can no longer play the game and it may cause problems with BFBC2. I have heard that this is due to having two versions of the same game files on your computer.

GOA.Luke*BK*