Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post

One Shot Kills?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm
One Shot Kills

As a follow-up to my weapon damage post, I was thinking about 1 shot kills. Sure, “Spray and Prey” is fun – so is the repeated unloading of small bursts, but I want to master the I shot kill and move beyond the glory cannon known as the M95.

In non-hard core mode there isn’t much to choose from. Short-range 1-shot kills (sub 40 meters) are mostly headshots with magnum ammo. For the sake of figuring out power – everything is magnum ammo.

There is only the M14 and M1 that can take someone out with a single shot at short range and it has to be a head shot with magnum ammo. (39 * 1.25) * 2.1

Of course my previous post mentioned the NS2000, Spas, and M870 which will blast them with one shot and that is at long-range as well.

The sniper rifle category is interesting because both the T88 and the SVU can do the job, but the VSS fails with one shot kills, even a head shot and magnum ammo.

So what happens when we jump to  HARD CORE mode? Things change, not bullet damage but your health. You drop from 100 health to 50 health with weapon damage staying the same. This brings some more weapons into the one shot kill ability.

Head shots at sub 40 meters become 1 shot kills for the following weapons:
AN-94
09A-91
SCAR-L
UMP
M60
M14
G3
M1
And all the sniper rifles.
Of course all the shot guns at sub 10 meters are one shot head kills.

At distance, the list falls short on head one-shot kills.
M60, M14, G3, M1, and all the sniper rifles. Notice that all the Assault and Engineer weapons drop off when we move beyond the 40 meter range. We do get the Saiga and USAS shot-guns at long-range now, which we did NOT in the non-hard core mode. This is a bonus in my book.

But what about 1 shot kills – non-head shots? That is a short-list and you will not find any MP40 COD type weapons. In fact the only one to make the list is the MP-412 pistol, not even all the snipers make it.

There are some almost theres’, but at 48.75 damage you are not dead yet:
T88 with 48.75 short-range damage (sub 5 meters)
SVU with 48.75 short-range damage (sub 10 meters)
Both the M14 and M1 with 48.75 at short-range damage (sub 10 meters)
We do get the SAIGA and USAS at 48.75 short-range damage (sub 8 meters).

So even in Hard Core – you don’t get it as easy as COD.

However, there are some great new weapons to add to the sub-40 meter head shot range that I would take over a sniper rifle, since they can be used in CQB. Maybe the UMP becomes my MP40 in Hardcore, who knows.

Last edited by Silexx on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:48 pm
Another great post +1

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:02 pm
I hope that in the future they will make it a little easier to kill without unloading a whole clip. In modern combat no a days its not about just spray and praying its about technique and if game makers want to succeed in this business of FPS they need to make it more realistic. I mean seriously just being shot by and m9 in ur shoulder will slow you down in real life unless ur experienced with the pain. I just hope a game comes out that is realistic.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm
I would like more realism as well - but I think we have come along way since Castle Wolfenstien and Doom.

There is a fine line between playability (and the fun factor) vs. realism.

I am a fan of strategic/tactical games as well (see MatrixGames) --- which try to create realisism and historical accuracy. However, they are from a strategic level - not FPS.

I think FPS will alway have a hard time achiveing realism and keeping it fun.

Take a sniper for instance, you don't run down a hill with a rifle, croutch, and shoot. There is a spoter, wind angle, temp, etc. - not to mention the time to set-up - hours if not days. Of course if we made that realistic, no one would ever play the sniper.

I think the best thing would be able to give the host of the server that ability to change weapon damage and modifiers - so they are able to set-up a game that meets with the approval of the group playing the game.

Run and shoot in the standing position with any standard assault rifle with accuracy - for the most part it is not happening. However, BC and COD would have us all think that ALL battles are run-n-gun CQBs - even in big maps. We all know that is not the case.

I really enjoy playing BC2 and COD - I know they are not realistic - and if they were I would probably not enjoy them as much. I do agree - it would be nice to increase the bullet damage so we are not having to unload a whole clip just to drop a target.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm
I'm really surprised you guys run a strict HC W@W server that makes the game as challenging as can be, skill gets rewarded with a high score and frankly thats what brought me to your W@W servers. It's the only place I play when I play that game. That being said, your BC2 servers are not HC. Floating cross hairs, orange spot triangles and surviving what would normally be a kill shot are cool and all but It just  isn't challenging enough for me. Me and my friend's bought a server and run it in HC only and I love it. If your shot from the chest up your dead. Two to three shots anyplace else, your dead. Just like your W@W server it makes you play smart and rewards you for doing so. I guess having fun is what is most important.  Wink

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:25 pm
I just wish that they would allow us to play with the game more like bullet damage run speed you know all the stuff you can do in WAW, DFMHellBoy is that a private server or an open server? if its open/public whats the name?

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:21 pm
DFMHellBoy - I too am interested in a HC RUSH server. While I am a devoted fan and member of BK, I just wish that at least one of the 3  BC2 servers would run in HC mode.
I too joined BK for the COD:W@W - HC mode, rules, and game play.

I really enjoy BC2, but normal mode is not my cup of tea. Snipers/Recon get all the benefit in Normal Mode  - while those with equally powerful ammo (for the most part minus the M95) - have to unload several more rounds.

I am starting to notice the snipers (if played well) have the edge on kill shots in Normal mode. The game changes ALOT in HC mode and gives other players a better - even - playing field. You really NEED a medic in HC (since you can auto-heal without them). I just think it is a way better game in HC mode.

I think one of the reasons that BK is not running HC mode is they didn't see a lot of players play in it initally. I know Luke is trying to fill up servers, but if server 3 is usually empty - why not HC mode? And while I will agree with Luke that HC is not as popular, neither was HC in COD:W@W for the most part. It is usually always harder to find HC mode servers in most games. I think Luke is right - you may never have server 3 (if running in HC mode) as popular as server 1. Who knows.... but think back to COD:W@W - what made the BK servers popular - wasn't the members, Luke, or BK's name - it was the game play and how the server was set-up. It was unique and not the same as everything else.

I personally think BC2 has been out awhile and right now we are running a generic normal rush game like dozens of others, BK stands out now - not because it is different - but because it has a brand and Luke's dedication for keeping the servers up (since BC2 crashes alot). Let's hope that we can see a little HC on at least one server - sure it may take days, weeks, or even a month or two before it becomes popular - but you need to give it time.

I unfortunatly find myself playing less and less on BK's BC2 servers - because I really like HC that much more.  Of course I am only one voice.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:25 pm
I feel the same way i have jumped on DD's server a couple times when only one person was playing so i could play HC and there are a couple other servers i visit.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 pm
Our server runs 24 slots. It is crazy busy all the time. As we speak at 12:27pm there are 22/24 players in there rt now. We all gather from 3:30pm to 1:00am Texas time pretty much every day and seems as time goes on we are kicking to make room for each other. If you do run a server in HC (i hope you do) I suggest doing what we did,  put the word HARDCORE in the server name and I am positive you will always have someone to shoot at.  I know Luke does not allow putting up links to any place other than here so add me as a friend in game and follow me in or PM me for the name of our server. We're not recruiting, our server is to full as it is and we kick for the slightest bull crap. To many servers out there to put up with 15 yr olds team killin for choppers or parkin an M1 in the enemy main.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:04 pm
DFMhellboy,

Thanks - I will PM you for the link. I think you are right - I mentioned to Luke that one of the reasons that I didn't think our 1 week test of HC mode was successfull is that you didn't KNOW it was HC because the server name was "Polite and Friendly Server 3 HC (or something like that). Having "Hard Core" right at the beginning or close to the beginning will draw attention. My worthless 2 cents...

Regards,
Silexx....

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:23 pm
Your right. Before we bought a server to play on as our own we would scan the server names to find an HC server to jump into.  Putting the full word HARDCORE in there gets their attention. If you guys do get one I will jump in and game with ya when our server is full of ya-hoos not workin together. Wink

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:57 pm
DFMhellboy - PM me the server....thanks...

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:13 pm
Thanks for the HC server, Luke.

I have been playing on there and noticed what a difference it is using the G3 and the M14 and UMP are way more useful. Even the AN-94 has a way better punch.

I was getting tired of running around with shot-gun/slugs just to get a 1-2 shot kill in Normal mode. I believe the HC mode opens up a wider ranges of weapons./

It seems the game is more balanced and no longer suffers the sniper killers, when you can take them out with a head shot using a M14 (and rightly so).

Quick Note: I noticed (I think and need to confirm) that for those using shot-guns the cross-hairs still apply in HC mode, unlike the other weapons.

I'll be looking for you on HC mode.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:36 pm
is everyone at this time playing Bad company 2 now or is it split between the 2 CoD WaW and BFBC2?  Is anyone playing Modernwarfare 2 at all? lol

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:33 pm
As far as I know not too many people have taken to Modern Warfare 2. Most are in BC2 and World at War as well.