Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Droid 2

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:29 am
So tonight I successfully rooted and installed a more vanilla version of Android on my D2.  Here's the screens.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:33 pm
What benefits from this?

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:57 pm
Stock Froyo beats the hell out of MotoBlur, everything is much more snappy and quick.  Rooted = overclocking the phone if you want.  FREE tethering if you want.  Lots of other great stuff you can do rooted which you can't unrooted.  Heck even the dock app is better than MotoBlur dock app.

And the biggest thing for me, removed all the bloatware from Verizon.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 pm
I have come to the conclusion that while Motorola can make some pretty awesome phones, they should leave the operating systems alone.  With Motoblur installed just a few hours off the charger and the phone is down to 3/4 battery life..  Stock Froyo it takes about 9 hours(with me messing around with it) to get that far down.

Tried out the tethering last night.  It works fine but since I live in an odd area the speeds are sporadic. Can come in handy though I am sure.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:18 pm
So rooting equals shorter battery life? As I am not a tech, I get lost easily, and lose track.  lol

Vrai A La Fin

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:50 pm
Not just rooting.  Rooting + installing vanilla Android increased my battery life significantly over Motorola's version of Android.  As far as the rooting process goes it is fairly easy.  

One Click Root for Windows

Here's the Windows version. Facelessuser pushed this through and worked his magic. Give it a try. Very exciting stuff. I haven't used it yet, but according to him, it should work!

Download here, Ver. 2.1.4:
http://www.kimete.com/droid/beta/DoRootWin_2.1.4.zip

Instruction for Windows:

1. Extract the folder from the DORoot zip file to your desktop or something. You should be moving 7 or 8 files into the tools folder.
2. Install Motorola Drivers
(Tip, to stop the launching of the Verizon/Motorola site, go to the MotoConnect icon in the bottom righ, right click, when phone connects, nothing.)
3. Make sure you phone is in PC Mode with USB Debugging enabled
PC Mode: Notification blind -> USB connection -> PC Mode
USB Debugging: Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging
You need USB debugging icon showing in notifications. Try Charge Only if you can't get PC Mode to show USB debugging.
4. Double-click and run doroot.bat
5. Let it run.
6. That's it, you are done.

Motorola Drivers (if you are using Windows) which can be found here:
http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Support-Homepage/Software_and_Drivers/USB-and-PC-Charging-Drivers

Many thanks to facelessuser for working his magic!

I had to try the method about six times before it finally took.  It varies according to the forums where I got this.  Some people saw success on the first try, others it took a dozen times.

Remember, this is ONLY for the Droid 2 and Droid X.

There are other one click methods for other phones and versions of Android.

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:39 pm
If you can sometime i would like to talk to you tet about doing this, let me know if that would be ok..I would like to connect my pc at work sometime when im waiting for the others to show up..and see if my phone will speed up..thanks..

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm
make sure you talk it over with tet before doing this; bricking ( making your phone a paper weight ) is always possible when doing mods like this ;P

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:47 pm

target wrote (View Post):

If you can sometime i would like to talk to you tet about doing this, let me know if that would be ok..I would like to connect my pc at work sometime when im waiting for the others to show up..and see if my phone will speed up..thanks..

Sure.

One more thing I forgot to mention.  If any of you are going to bite the bullet and install a custom rom on your phone(or just delete the crapware after it's been rooted) you MUST make a backup of the operating system first.  there's always the possibility of bricking your phone and the carriers aren't too keen on warranty issues if the phone has been modified.  Neither myself or the people who came up with the methods are responsible for anything that might happen to your phone if there is a problem.