Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post

How to reduce the lag in CoD: Black Ops

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 pm
Here's a simple way to help some of the horrible lag that's been going on. It will completely fix singleplayer, but it will only help a little bit in mp.

1. While in game, alt-tab, and bring up your task manager.
2. go to processes.
3. Right click on the blackops.exe (it may be called something slightly different) and set the priority to high.
4. Right click on steam.exe, and set the priority to low.
5. You will have to do this once for multiplayer, and once more singleplayer.

Hope this helps some people.

___________Fireteam Zulu | Graphics Team Leader | SFC____________

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:14 pm
I would like to add that this is for systems that have low memory or low CPU. If you are lucky enough to have a dual display system and you have Vista or Win7, you can download a gadget for free from microsoft that will tell you your systems performance during any operation.

My system:
2 x AMD duo core 3.8GHz
8 g ram
1 nvidia GTX 460 w/ 768mb on board.

When I play COD WAW my average CPU usage is 60%
When I play BC2 and COD BO my average CPU usage is about 70%

Ram usage for all three is very small, maybe 1-2 g while game is playing.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:21 pm
Also if this doesn't help try lowing some of the graphical parts of the game. Ive had games in the past that played way better when i just lowered the graphics a bit.

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 pm
Lowering graphics DID NOT help one bit.

I'm running a 3.0ghz dual core processor, 4GB of ddr2 RAM, and an HD4850 video card.

Silent wolf, I don't think this is only a problem for low performing computers. I've been able to run every cod game maxed out, and they all run the exact same engine is Black Ops. One of my friends has a better pc than I do and he gets the same issue. This is something they will need to fix with a patch. And if there's no way to fix the lag I've been getting in Multiplayer, I don't think I'll be playing this game much. The performance stutters border on the unplayable range.

I think it was suggested a few times that this is a problem with the steam servers being overloaded. Although it doesn't seem like that issue would cause performance stutters.

Anyway, if anyone comes up with any more solutions to this problem, please post them.

___________Fireteam Zulu | Graphics Team Leader | SFC____________

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:36 pm
Most of the lag is due to the stats server being over run with severs trying to report stats. If you can play single player fine then most likely there is no need to change any settings. I would recommend waiting for the next patch.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:27 pm
an article on bashandslash.com(they have a couple servers of theyre own)
says that a sv_ setting is set at 5000(console setting) and should be set at 25000.
BandB worked with gameservers to test it and setting change reduced almost all lag from server...
unfortunately with the way codBO is setup for servers,they had to change it back until treyarch or activision approves it

as for setting afinity and priority thats a BC2 trick and only good for amd processors and results may very

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 pm
by the by...you post cpu usage....what were the vid card usages?

it could be the same as it was in BC2...alot of graphics proccessing being down by cpu(again a console thing) instead of by vid card.

/shrug like game so far