MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

After New Patch..Games Freezes every Map

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:47 am
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has a fix for my problem? After this new patch today, it seems like I have to reboot my computer before the round finishes. The game freezes up and alt-cntrl-delete will not get me out of game. I have to actually reboot my computer, I thnk I have rebooted my computer at least 10 times within an hour. If anyone can give me some suggestions on how I can fix this problem, I would be very greatful.

Thank you in advance
PD_Blue

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:22 am
Welcome to life for me the past week.  There was nothing I could do that would fix it.  Though it would happen less late in the evening or early morning.  As far as this patch goes I got a Microsoft Visual C++ error  almost immediately after joining a server and had to ctrl alt del out.  At that point I went to Programs and Features(Add Remove Programs) and uninstalled Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable and the 2008 Redistributable.  Kept the 2010 version.  Tried the game again and was able to play smoothly with a decent framerate until the server itself crashed.  Did this fix anything?  Beats me but I will assume it did.   Not long ago I had a C++ issue with World At War and doing the exact same thing fixed it.  Apparently the version that was installed with Civilization V doesn't agree with some games and causes crashes.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:07 am
Thanks Tet

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

PD_Blue

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:47 am
tried thios not the problem for me...game keeps locking up since patch...cpu usage climbs to 100% and game freezes

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:14 pm
Tried it too, and I am still freezing up. Looks like I'll be going back to WAW until they get this thing fixed.

PD_Blue

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:34 pm
Try this, worked for me.

You can try deleting the configuaration file and see if it happens again.

You will need to go into the the follow folder and delete the configuration file.

32-Bit Systems
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

64-Bit System
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

Now,

Go into the Steam Application.
Go to the Library tab.
Find Call of Duty Black Ops and right click on it.
Select properties and a new window will show up.
Select the Local Files tab.
Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:41 pm

pfrman wrote (View Post):

Try this, worked for me.

You can try deleting the configuaration file and see if it happens again.

You will need to go into the the follow folder and delete the configuration file.

32-Bit Systems
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

64-Bit System
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

Now,

Go into the Steam Application.
Go to the Library tab.
Find Call of Duty Black Ops and right click on it.
Select properties and a new window will show up.
Select the Local Files tab.
Select Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

I've seen people who were successful with this.  They've also tried deleting all traces of the game on their systems and reinstalling/redownloading.  Could be worth a shot.  If mine is still bunk I may go this route as well.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:48 pm
Hi pfrman

I tried your suggestion and I got to play almost four rounds before freezing up. I thought was going to be good fix, but got a little to excited prematurely. When I freeze, I can't even control-alt-delete out, I have to actually reboot my system. It gets very frustrating, I hope that they come out with a patch to fix this last patch very quickly.

If anyone else has possibly a fix to this problem, shoot it my way. In my opinion, they should uninstall this latest patch, make some modifications, and then re-apply it. The patch is working for some, but majority of us are in limbo. I was having no problems with the game, except a freeze here or there. After this patch, pretty much this game is unplayable for me.

Just had to vent a little.

PD_Blue

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:12 am
I have the exact same problem as u,tried tet's fix then tried complete reinstall nothing worked...Flyspot

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:29 am
Unfortunatly I have the same thing. I changed a sound setting and it seems to be better- I got a lock up in single player today.  I had no problems untill the patch.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 am
could try this.

So I've spent hours upon hours dealing with the bullcrap everyone else has been dealing with. I'm not going to bore you with some story I'm just going to offer a fix. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I'm sorry.

Go into
Code:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\call of duty black ops\players

and open config_mp.fg with notepad or a similar program. Use Ctrl+F to find
Code:

seta snd_losOcclusion

Once you've found it set the "1" to "0"

There are other tweaks to be made in this file which you've probably already made, but this is one I bet you haven't made.

If you want even more performance in exchange for lower sound quality (Maybe, I haven't tested the following myself), change the function right above it
Code:

seta snd_khz

from "44" to "22" [Can someone confirm this?].

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Another thing you can do is go into Device Manager and disable all BUT the audio device YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING. So if you have an Realtek HD Audio Device or something, and you see in device manager that you have some other audio devices you aren't using, disable those. It should help.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:47 am
Hi All

It looks like I got it working finally.

I did a fresh install of Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

- Installed COD4 and the patches and test played it with no problems.
- Installed COD WAW and the patches and test played it with no problems.
- Installed COD BO and test played it with no problems.

I did not have any AV or firewall installed while test paying the games. I installed my AV and firewall and tested BO and started getting a lot of lag and I eventually froze. I had to reboot the computer. Went into my AV and Firewall and disabled everything, went in game and it worked like a charm. I am having no lag, no crash/freeze, no stutter, or hang ups.

The reason I did a fresh install of my OS, is because I went into play WAW since I couldn't play BO. While playing WAW i was experiencing the same crash/freeze situation. That told me that the probems I was having with BO was not isolated and most probaly something was wrong with my system and not the game or the patch. Just wanted to let you guys know, in case it could be helpful.

I forgot to mention that I installed all original drivers that came on the hardware disk. I did not update any of my drivers either.

PD_Blue

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:08 am
Hey Tet do you need to set cfg to read only?

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:37 pm
PD - on my Vista 64 system, the main cause of my lag (on BC2) was having the AVG in-memory scanner running. When disabled everything was fine. This didn't affect WAW or previous COD MW, MW2 games. Not having the most recent video drivers caused crashes of the system rather than any game because even if you don't update the video drivers, windows will update something on the OS that 'relies' on the video drivers!

pfrman - you should leave the cfg permissions as-is, the game may want to write to it. If you are worried, then make a backup of it and save it elsewhere.

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:49 pm
UchiMata- the reason i ask tet whether cfg needed to be set to read only is because game writes to file everytime you start game. Some changes will stick and some wont.