Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

PC crashes

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:37 pm
Ok so, my computer has been crashing.  Sometimes it blue screens, sometimes not.  Sometimes it appears as if it is the video card, sometimes not.  Ran memtest86+ with no errors, stress tested the cpu lastnight with no issues.  It could be one of a few things involving the video card, I plan to test those out if it continues.  The one thing i did notice is it kept crashing while attempting to transfer large files from one internal drive to the main drive.  I error checked that drive with no results, pulled it for now anyway just in case.  Possibly could be an issue with my main drive, which I will test today.

I've also wiped the system.  I have a minimal amount of programs installed right now.  There are also only two usb peripherals plugged in.  When it does actually bluescreen, sometimes it won't even collect all the data.  But when it does, it is usually a different error code each time.  I have also noticed a sort of beep coming from my monitor's built in speakers upon reboots.  The HDMI audio drivers are not installed so it shouldn't be making any noise.
So things I have tested and ruled out:

1) memory
2) cpu
3) Windows install + drivers and peripherals
4) Creative sound card, tried with and without

Things I will test:

1) Main hard drive
2) Video Card (already checked the drivers)
 a) the pcie slot it is in
 b) the power connectors it is using
 c) stress testing
3) HDMI cable to my monitor

Any thoughts?

Edit:  I also want to point out that most of the time, with the exception of what I noticed regarding the hard drives, the crashes appear to happen at random.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:52 pm
Well you are being very detailed on your system check and when it comes to add on components and if I were in your shoes I would doing the same thing.  A few things you havent mentioned yet, most important, what is the BSOD error message you get?  Need to know the error number so you can track down the issue.  I would also look under the error logs in Device manager to see what is says.  If the BSOD and the error log shows several key components having issues then there is one think you have failed to check which can cause multiple random errors with no issues found.  I dont know how old your Mother Board is, but even if its brand new out of the box it can still have problems.  That is the only thing that I know of that can cause several component errors without having issues with the components.

A few things I would ask:

1) What is the last major thing you have done to your PC, i.e. driver update, windows update, new hardware of any kind prior to the issue.

2) If any of the above has happened, undo it.

3) The ultimate test, if you have the ability to do it.  If you have a spare HDD pull out the current and reimage your system with a fresh OS.  Once you have all your driver and programs install, if the issue still happens then I would lean more to the MotherBoard.

Just my 2cents, hope this helps.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:14 pm
Basically what wolfy said was what i was about to suggest

1) Main hard drive ( Can cause BSOD if system files are being corrupted on the drive )
2) Video Card (already checked the drivers) ( if you've got another video card swap it out just to make sure )
a) the pcie slot it is in ( normally when a PCI slot goes bad it just stops working )
b) the power connectors it is using ( Simple volt meter can test this )
c) stress testing ( the only problem is if its the card itself stress testing wont do you much good, or if its something else in your rig causing it it wont help either )
3) HDMI cable to my monitor  ( this COULD be causing it if the cord itself is dmg'd but thats highly unlikely )

First thing i would do is get us an error code Wink * make sure you set your OS to not auto restart when they happen *

New Siggy; What do you think?
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:31 pm
To reiterate, need to capture the error code, then google.  With so many variables/components/software involved in pc diagnostics, need to narrow the field of potential sources.

1. BSODs are typically from cpu, memory, mobo fsb relationships (overclocking, incompatibility, etc.)
2. Frozen screen and/or stuttering is from graphic cards/drivers.
3. Memory issues will typically show up right away and prevent you from exiting bios.

The above is what i've experienced in BSODs, usually from overclocking all of the items in 1.

The fix for this is reseting the bios.  Have you done this Question  Load 'fail safe defaults', something along that line depending on your bios manufacturer.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:35 pm
As I mentioned in the original post, it's a different error code almost every time.  Plus it doesn't always complete the dump so there is no blue screen data.  I've already checked there as well.  Plus it doesn't always blue screen.  Sometimes it just locks up, others it just reboots.  Checking the main drive now.  I will also pull the ram and check those that way.  The only problem is like I said, it mostly appears random.  Thee is no way for me to recreate the crashes.  About ten minutes ago I was just browsing stuff, and it crashed.  So I dunno.  It is a newer build, but I don't recall exactly when it started happening, which is why I am trying all options.  I have a spare 8800GT, was planning on sticking that in there if all of the above fails.

Also, there is no overheating issue.  No sluggish performance.  Running a chkdsk now.  No errors as of yet.  After this I will look in to the video card.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:38 pm

CapZac wrote (View Post):

To reiterate, need to capture the error code, then google.  With so many variables/components/software involved in pc diagnostics, need to narrow the field of potential sources.

1. BSODs are typically from cpu, memory, mobo fsb relationships (overclocking, incompatibility, etc.)
2. Frozen screen and/or stuttering is from graphic cards/drivers.
3. Memory issues will typically show up right away and prevent you from exiting bios.

The above is what i've experienced in BSODs, usually from overclocking all of the items in 1.

The fix for this is reseting the bios.  Have you done this Question  Load 'fail safe defaults', something along that line depending on your bios manufacturer.

Happens when overclocked or not.  Been blue screens with incomplete dumps, lock ups, crashes that appear to be video card related but happen at random times.  Frustrating to say the least.  It can be up and running just fine for quite a while under heavy usage, then randomly crash while sitting idle.  Or crash while under heavy usage.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:15 pm
Hm nobody thought that it could be a power supply issue? If the +5V fails your bios, processor and memory will crash. If +12V fails your hard drive will stop, hence the freeze, and it can restart the system too.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:16 pm
I had a recent experience when I replaced my graphics card (from 8800GTS to HD5770). It would blue-screen and reboot within a few minutes until I managed to download and install the latest drivers. My suspicion is that Windows update has messed something up.
Trouble-shooting is such a pain, but very satisfying when you finally fix it!

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am
I GOT IT, you just need to wind it up more.  Here us my key......

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:23 am

reddragn wrote (View Post):

Hm nobody thought that it could be a power supply issue? If the +5V fails your bios, processor and memory will crash. If +12V fails your hard drive will stop, hence the freeze, and it can restart the system too.

If either of those were failing putting extra load on the system should result in a crash or lockup.  However stress testing the cpu, gpu, and the ram didn't crash the system.  I've been up and running most of the day now.  The last two things I did were run chkdsk on the main drive and restore all bios settings to default.  If it continues to run with no crashing I will assume resetting the bios helped.  In unrelated news, Black Ops still runs perfectly for me when I am not having system problems.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:01 pm
Tet,

A few years back I had a pc that would experience strange lock ups and error mesages
very similar to yours. I ran several different programs looking for the culprit.  I used a
dos base program to check the ram and let it run all night with no errors. Funny thing is
after running this program all would be well for a few weeks then it would start again with random freezes and error codes. I finally took the chance and bought new ram, and never had a problem since. My point is there is no good way to check the ram, if it where me this is where
I would start trouble shooting.

My 2 cents

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:22 pm
I have had the same issues as Tet for a long time now, I just chalked it up to my Windows XP, since it seems the one variable that remains constant with all these issues that I read that are similar is the OS. So I'll be upgrading by the end of december to windows 7, I'm also upgrading from an 8800 to a 5850 and from a 8 year old 17 inch LCD monitor whose max res is 1280x1024 to a 24 inch wide screen one, cant wait till christmas so i can actually use em Smile

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:40 pm
Its a long shot but change your page file to another drive and see if that helps.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:34 pm
Tet, I have been having the same problem, it wound up being my IDE Drivers...but none the less...use this software called "Who Crashed" found here: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
you will also have to download the Micro soft mini dump analysis tool. When you install who crashed, and click on analyze, it will give you a link to go to the MS website and download the proper software. This software is free and very helpful. When you get back on to your Desktop after a crash, run it and it will tell you exactly what caused the issue..

Along with what everyone else said, you need the exact BSOD error message...it will look something like this: 0x0000007b or 0x000000124....and all you have to do is google that code. Otherwise, I Who crashed will help you just the same....since sometimes, the BSOD screen goes away too quickly...I did say sometimes...other times, it would just hang there...

Let us know....hope this helps!

If you can't take the pain, maybe you shouldn't play!
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Hawkeye wrote (View Post):

Tet, I have been having the same problem, it wound up being my IDE Drivers...but none the less...use this software called "Who Crashed" found here: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
you will also have to download the Micro soft mini dump analysis tool. When you install who crashed, and click on analyze, it will give you a link to go to the MS website and download the proper software. This software is free and very helpful. When you get back on to your Desktop after a crash, run it and it will tell you exactly what caused the issue..

Along with what everyone else said, you need the exact BSOD error message...it will look something like this: 0x0000007b or 0x000000124....and all you have to do is google that code. Otherwise, I Who crashed will help you just the same....since sometimes, the BSOD screen goes away too quickly...I did say sometimes...other times, it would just hang there...

Let us know....hope this helps!

yes I know all of this.  And as I said before it tends to be different most times.