Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post

2011 Tech Perditions

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:22 pm
Here is a list of my tech predictions for 2011. I would love to also hear what you think will happen in 2011.

1st: Solid state drives will be the main hard drive for laptops by the end of the year. Mostly as hybrids where it has a SSD drive for the operating system then maybe a bigger tradition hard drive for storage. Moving over to all SSD as they price continues to drop.

2nd: This one pains me because I hope it doesn't happen but I know it will. 3D gaming will become a big trend. I hate 3D gives me a huge head ach. I have a feeling it starts with the gaming systems then moves over to the PC.

3rd: Netflix will dramatically increase the streaming selection and move dramatically away from disks by raising there price for disks again latter this year after expanding the online streaming selection.

4th: We will start to see Windows 8 Alpha tests come out and it will use Kinect features  built into laptops to do things like log you into windows.

5th: Android will become the #1 operating system on smart phones. I also think this will be the year iPhone starts falling back due to its update cycle not competing with Android phones and the leaps they are making every other month.

6th: Ipod sales will drop notably as more people have MP3 players in there phone. As phones do more there is no need for a separate MP3 player for most people not all. This will also down the road affect GPS also.

So that is my list let me know what you think will happen in 2011 and feel free to tell me if you think I'm crazy for one of my predictions.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:54 pm
All very good calls Luke, I also agree with you about the whole 3D gaming idea, but I expect by mid year to start seeing mass produced virtual reality gaming console of some sort, the technology is available and the market is ready for it.

Bonjour Mes Amis, Laisser les bons temps rouler
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 pm
I agree with the Android, it really does rock.

But I also see my cable company raising my rates again next year, really love Time Warner Cable

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:25 am
Floating cities,flying cars,spaceship to Mars, personal jet packs, no wars, Cubs win World Series!! Wait a minute....... everything but the Cubs one!!! You know what Jesus said to the Cubs???? "Don't do anything till I get back!!!!" Happy New Year All!!

Locate close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver......
7th Engineers "C" CO.1stFSSG Camp Pendleton..ONCE..ALWAYS 86-92
Alpha Company 2nd BN 151st INF ARNG Indiana 11-15
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:19 am
my predictions are
1. i will get some driving lessons
2. i will get a new computer or at least update it
3. some hardware manufacture will announce some new and outrageous piece of hardware like a graphics card or a processor and it will be way over priced but someone will still buy it
4. i will not get ill, well not to the point i cannot work.
5. every one has a good and prospers new year (except the tax man)

It is Going To Hurt
http://taylormadehosting.co.uk
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:26 pm

mr-t wrote (View Post):

my predictions are
1. i will get some driving lessons
2. i will get a new computer or at least update it
3. some hardware manufacture will announce some new and outrageous piece of hardware like a graphics card or a processor and it will be way over priced but someone will still buy it
4. i will not get ill, well not to the point i cannot work.
5. every one has a good and prospers new year (except the tax man)

#3 is accurate. I saw a video about that and how it's close to production.  As far as #5, it's official. The Tax Man will be digging a little bit deeper in our pockets next year.  Our government will not manage our tax dollars responsibly until we MAKE them. When you vote, please choose your candidates wisely folks.
Wink

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:02 pm
Great predictions !!!!

I agree with you with all of it. But unfortunately those SSD drives don't have the reliability of data retention they should have so if you intend to use one you'd better have a really good backup solution to a reliable conventional SATA drive.

Netflix made me a ton of cash this year just before the inception of network streaming and the Roku add-on box the stock was about $50 and one year later it zoomed to $200. Your not going to find a 400% return at a bank :)

3D on the other hand is totally useless to me I have monocular vision.

If iPhone doesn't find a solution to java scripting this year the Android will be my next phone.

I hope everyone had a really terrific Christmas and has a better year in 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am
(Apple fan boy steps forward)

Don't count Apple out yet folks...they are incredibly tight with their next move...also note...Apple is the most valuable tech stock in the world.  Period.  Not Dell, not Microsoft...Apple.

That said, they have a couple things to address before Microsoft takes over the world...again.

Also, gotta agree with Hellboy, vote wisely...but most importantly...VOTE!

Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and may your sights be true, your enemies slow, and the tax man miss you at every turn!

Cheers!

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:23 am
I agree with all Luke's predictions, except...

Being an Apple user/fan myself, I think Android taking over the #1 spot is still premature.  Not saying it won't happen eventually, but if  the Verizon iPhone happens in the next 8 weeks like all the rumors say, and the iPhone 5 gets released in June, I think 2011 will still be the year of the Apple - with iPad 2 coming out this year as well.

Not sure what I think about dropping MP3 players.  I know many people who have smartphones who still use a dedicated MP3 player - me being one of them.  Mainly because the MP3 players keep shrinking yet still are growing in memory capacity, so having a micro player, like the new iPod nano.  I think eventually they will become obsolete like the poor Sony walkman who diied this year, but not sure if it is THIS year to mark their demise.

How about some FPS predictions?