Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

GRUB vs MBR

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm
Sheepdawg got a little crazy the past few days.  Every once in a while i like to check out the Linux side of things.  So i got Ubuntu 10.10 and installed it.  Restarted and it worked great.  Dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu.  Then Ubuntu was all "I can haz updatez?"  So i said sure why not.  250+ updates later it says "I can haz Grub?"  Now it said skip but i had no idea what Grub was.  SO i said sure buddy, go ahead and grab whtat you need.  Restarted, POST, verifying DMI pool.....ERROR GRUB RESCUE.

OH NOES!!!!  So after many trips to #ubuntu and #windows i finally stopped trying to take the quick easy way out, burnt a Win 7 iso to DVD and here i am, back together, but with a new win7.

But hey, i dont mind.  Reformattied PC's are super sexy, and fast to boot.

So a word of warning to those of you wantign to dual boot win and linux.  Make sure u have an actual drive(not a partition of ur HD0) when installing it.  If you do install linux on a partitioned 'drive' on HD0 then DO NOT install GRUB.  Skip it, i promise you will be fine.  If you have C:/ on HD0, and D:/ on HD1 then you are able to instal GRUB no problem.

FFR, Grub is Linux's equivilent to Windows MBR( Master Boot Record).

Also you are able to just run Ubuntu as a 'Live' session without installing it, so that may be the way to go as well.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 pm
also if any of you tech literate guys see any issues in my post, or false information, lease let me know.  Now that i have my Win 7 CD i will be more ruthless in my trial and error approach.  I guess its the benefit of having a entertainment PC, and not one with buku information.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm
careful, I have a downed PC . . . Used my Win 7 home Premium win key too many times, now it is no good anymore, now I have the OS installed, and no Key Code to Validate it  Evil or Very Mad

It has got me furious, all windows support will tell me, is to spend $160.00 for a new copy of windows  Embarassed

so careful how many times you use your Key . . .

Bonjour Mes Amis, Laisser les bons temps rouler