Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

New video card, black ops issues

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:50 pm
Hey guys, I just upgraded from a 8800GT to a 5850, and the performance in black ops so far has been disappointing. I am having issues with stuttering/lag and I don't really know the cause of it.

I set all the graphic settings to the max and am able to achieve 45-75 FPS throughout most maps, but yet I'm still hit with stuttering/lag.

At the start of every map as well, my fps dips between 5-15 for the first 15-20 seconds then its goes back up to the average i mentioned.

Ive tried disabling the advanced settings as well as lowering my resolution but the stutters and the massive FPS drops at the beginning of each map remain, does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:54 pm
play with the settings in the ATI-tray tool...
check the options there.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:26 pm
Here are the tweaks I used...my FPS goes from 65-71
But before performing the tweaks it is better to take the back up of File first.
To take the back yu have to go to the default location of the file which is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players\config_mp.cfg"

* Default: seta cg_blood "1" Change to seta cg_blood "0" (Blood Splatter will be turned off)

* Default: seta cg_brass "1" Change to seta cg_brass "0" (Turns off the empty shells of Guns)

* Default: seta cg_chatTime "0" (To disable chat in game) DO NOT DO THIS ONE...You will not be able to type in-game!!!!!

* Default: seta cg_drawFPS "Simple" (To keep track of FPS)

* Default: seta cg_fov_default "65" Change to seta cg_fov_default "80" (To get Wider view on screen)

* Default: seta cl_maxpackets "30" Change to seta cl_maxpackets "100" (To get more smooth gameplay)

* Default: seta drawLagometer "0" Change to seta drawLagometer "1" (To get Lagometer)

* Default: seta r_blur_allowed "1" Change to seta r_blur_allowed "0" (To avoid Blur on Zoom)

* Default: seta r_distortion "1" Change to seta r_distortion "0" (Removes heat and explosives distortions)

* Default: seta r_dof_enable "1" Change to seta r_dof_enable "0" (To remove depth of Field effect.)

* Default: seta r_gfxopt_dynamic_foliage "1" Change to seta r_gfxopt_dynamic_foliage "0" (To Off the Grass movement effect)

* Default: seta r_gfxopt_water_simulation "1" Change to seta r_gfxopt_water_simulation "1" (Turn Off Water animation)

* Default: seta r_glow_allowed "1" Change to seta r_glow_allowed "0" (Turn Off Glow)

* Default: seta r_multiGpu "1" Change to seta r_multiGpu "0" (Allow system to use only one core of Graphic Card)

* Default: seta r_multithreaded_device "0" Change to seta r_multithreaded_device "1" (Use only one Core)

* Default: seta r_specular "1" Change to seta r_specular "0" ( Removes Reflection)

* Default: seta r_texFilterMipMode "Force Bilinear" (To Fastest mipmode)

* Default: seta r_vsync "1" Change to seta r_vsync "0" (Turn Off Vertical Sync)

* Default: seta ragdoll_enable "1" Change to seta ragdoll_enable "0" (Turn Off body Falling)

* Default: seta rate "25000" (To get proper Rate)

* Default: seta sm_enable "1" Change to seta sm_enable "0" (Removes Shadows)

* Default: seta snaps "20" Change to seta snaps "30" (For Smooth play on server)

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:30 pm
after that your game looks like a C64 game hehehehe.....

he have a new 5850...no need to turn shadows off and what ever....
use a different graphic driver or optimize your driver in the ATI-tray tool.
you have many options there to boost your graphic/performance.....

catalyst 10.11? / 10.10e ?
Catalyst A.I. checkbox to optimice texture surface...maybe that's the key.
AA-modi to SuperSampling

nothing work.... go back to 10.9 !!!

good luck m8

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:11 am
Also make sure that the graphics resolution in game matches the graphic resolution you have Windows OS set at for some reason this can cause issues  if the settings do not match!

Another thing  is the 5850 a singlel GPU card...so there is a setting for that in the config_mp.cfg file to tell it that it is a single GPU and not a multiple.

* Default: seta r_multiGpu "1" Change to seta r_multiGpu "0" (Allow system to use only one core of Graphic Card)

Finally play around with the different ATI drivers including the newest one just released.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:32 am
Get up with ted100 on teamspeak sometime he will tell you the best way to set up your ATI card. It worked wonders for me.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:16 am
I think one of the problems may be the video driver, it seems the one im using is from 2008, one of the first ones that come with the card, however I tried updating it but every time i do, i get a blue screen crash. Would installing in Safe Mode help?

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:28 am
Hi Strand,
I had the same issue recently when installing a 5770. I blue-screened within 2-3 minutes of rebooting every time.
Change your resolution down to 1024x768 or less before installing/updating the drivers. Don't have any other programs running  at the same time as the update. Once the new drivers are on, you can restore your settings.
Let us how you get on.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:33 am
no luck, monitor just goes black during the driver installation and doesn't come back on.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:03 am
I think I saw somewhere that you had a large monitor - 23" widescreen?
Do you have a spare that is no more than 1024x768?
Did you try installing in 'safe' mode? Part of the reason why the screen turns 'black' is that the card/video tries to detect the capabilities of you monitor.
Alternatively, can you manually adjust your monitor using the monitor controls rather than through windows? Try changing this to 'manual' rather than 'auto' adjust, and fix the resolution down and your refresh-rate to 60Hz.

Failing that, post me the make/model of your monitor and I'll see if I can dig-up anything else.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:05 pm
dude you plugged in the monitor-cable correct?
and the 6-pin PCI-e connector is plugged in correct?
your power-supply is powerful enough?
you have 2 main memory installed.....try it with one!

your monitor goes black....really black and not just in standby mode and you did not noticed it^^
sometimes it's just a litte easy issue....try it.

good luck Strand

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:49 pm
Hey guys I got it to work finally, I used Driver Sweeper from guru3D.com to totally clean my hard drive from any left over ATI drivers that my computer didnt pick up with the uninstall, upon doing this the installation works fine.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:01 pm
Good job Wink

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:26 pm
Note on driver Sweeper: Don't update it past the 2.1 version. It'll crash.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:57 pm
Thanks Nam-ranger,  good tips & great preformance increase

I just selected what i thought were the most vital whilst still keeping the game visuals firmly planted in the 21st century  Wink  

for those who are thinking about changing their config files, i thought I'd post the approx results as I struggled to find what gains I would get when reviewing other posts on the internet.

Im no expert so results are approx as all i used to measure was the G15 panel for CPU load & the ingame FPS display.

Ill use the the jungle map in COD:BO as this always performed the worst

system info
CPU: intel E8400 @ 3GHz
Ram: DDR3 4GB @ 1333MHz
Zotac GT240 DDR5 1024MB
Vista 64

before changes CPU would run between 90 - 98% most of the time, I assume this was bottlenecking info to the GPU as frame rate was 30 - 40 FPS unless in an open space but mostly 30FPS as I would go thru bushes/grass

changes made were the following

* Default: seta cl_maxpackets "30" Change to seta cl_maxpackets "100" (To get more smooth gameplay)
* Default: seta r_multiGpu "1" Change to seta r_multiGpu "0" (Allow system to use only one core of Graphic Card) (already applied when i checked)
* Default: seta r_multithreaded_device "0" Change to seta r_multithreaded_device "1" (Use only one Core)

the results were huge

CPU load is now reduce on avg by 15-20%  & the FPS increase of 15fps ~5  (now at 50 - 55, dropping to 45 in the bush)

I have noticed no matter the map my FPS tops out at 60, I dont know if this a limitation of my hardware. I have read some posts that anything over 60fps is irrelivant anyway (thou im not convinced).  My vid card came with OC software & i can change the shader, core & memory clock speeds but I dont know if these should be adjusted in ratio with each other or independantly
I'd be greatful for any input on these last few points or on the whole post  :D

p.s. game would freeze loading new map about 4 games in, this (fingers crossed) seems to have stopped too