Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

photek made a booboo?

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 am
Ladies and gents,

I purchased a radeon 6850 and attempted to put it in last night.

removed my nvidia 9800gtx+ drivers shutdown, removed card, inserted new card, went to reboot and i have no BIOS.

No POST, no beeps. (I did remove all RAM and got memory error beeps so I know that part of the board is good)

removed 6850, plugged DVI into onboard cleared CMOS, moved jumper to configuration mode for BIOS, rebooted, nothing. no BIOS nada.

Took out my cmos battery waited the hour (plus 30 minutes) reinserted battery, and still no signal to monitor, no BIOS. Tested with both VGA and DVI, test monitors both worked on a old box.

reseated memory, processor, returned system to original configuration, attempted to force flash BIOS with usb drive, (fairly sure I disable booting by USB in BIOS at sometime though)

Im stumped.

Any suggestions are welcome.

MB - Intel DG33TL

I may be looking for a new mb/cpu combo (if I cant remedy this situation) for around $250 if anyone has a suggestion as well.

Had to play BOPS on ps3 ugh....

Thanks in advance for any help you more knowledgable peoples could provide.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:23 am
Your fans all start spinning when you power on? Sure all your motherboard power cords are plugged in? I've had those symptoms and it turned out the CPU picked that time to die on me.

Computers rock.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 pm
Thanks Chud, I actually figured it out shortly after posting this, tested under load and went to bed.

Seems the new power supply I bought, wasnt outputting enough power to power the cpu core. When I had put my old power supply in before I hadnt allowed for the cmos to reset and Im guessing that the issue remained.

I as a last resort last night pulled the new power supply, reset cmos, force flashed my bios using usb, and the onboard dvi showed up, rebooted adding piece by piece until I finally got into windows using onboard graphics. then restarted the process by adding the 6850. Everything seems to be working fine, I played BOPS on Ultra with no issue last night for an hour er so.

I still need a new ps, my old one is only 450w (which is minimum for my 6850)

To tell the truth I was almost dissappointed I fixed it, was looking at some new mb/cpu combos on newegg on the wife's laptop while waiting for the cmos to clear.

Anywho... Time to get back to work.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:18 pm
I went with the Thermaltake 1000 per Ted's suggestion and love it. It is modulated so you only have to put in the hookups you need at that time and if I ever upgrade again I am covered no matter what I put in. It obviously costs more upfront but unless I build some really huge supercomputer I am covered as far as my ps.

"Do or do not there is no try!"