Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post

Who's got hobbies?

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:55 pm
Home brewing (beer and sometimes wine), scuba diving (although it has been quite a while), shooting, and prepping (both a hobby and a lifestyle).

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:07 pm
Well, I make my living as a photographer.....and when I'm not doing that I'm photographing whatever I haven't photographed at work......fine line between hobby and living......

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 am
I am a huge reader. I love to read large series where the author has spent a great deal of time creating a great cast of characters and an extensive world. Gaming is also up there on the hobby sheet. As far as outdoor stuff goes, I prefer Winter activities such as snowboarding and skiing. Also learning to play the piano which has always been something I have wanted to do since I can remember. Finally, hanging with friends. I find myself on TS even when I'm not playing games.

Kaiizza

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:06 pm
UG - I have a hobby addiction problem....

========================
Book Collecting: (first / limited / signed)
Only certain authors, publishers, and subjects.

The prizes in my collection are:

Limited Edition (only 250) signed Martin's Game of Thrones.
Ian Fleming Bond Novels  - Thunderball and You Only Live Twice
Churchill  - Second World War (6 vol) -
Hemingway - Sun Also Rises and Movable Feast
Hesse - Steppenwolf
Greene - Our man in Havana
Card - Ender's Game
Asimov - Foundation trilogy

However a big part of the collection is my massive first edition pirate fiction / non-fiction:
Treasury Island
Captain Blood
Sea Hawk
etc..

I don't read any of them - I have paper back versions to read.

============================
Art Collection

Mostly Japanese wood block prints - I have 15 Tanaka Ryhoe prints.
http://www.renbrown.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl?command=goto&file=TANAKA_Ryohei.html

I also have two Mel Ramos (last of the living Pop Artists) - had the pleasure to meet him in his studio - I am missing AC Annie to complete my collection of the 1971-72 prints of a certain model I like. I haven't been able to find it yet - here is a picture: http://ushistorians.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/miscsummer-part-ii/0-mel-ramos-3/

I have also been picking up a couple of Jeffrey Jone's fantasy art - http://www.jeffreyjones-art.com/

=============================
Bamboo

I have been growing bamboo in my yard and collecting different varieties.
I have 6 different varieties right now.

==============================
Writing

I have written one text book "Fundamentals of the options market" by McGraw Hill = http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Options-Market-Michael-Williams/dp/0071363181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313172116&sr=8-1

I am currently writing two books:

Non-Fiction story about the trading floor
Fiction story about ciphers and government financial conspiracies

===============================
Board Gaming

I love Euro games - Setllers, Dominion, etc.

=====================================

As far as sports - sailing. I use to race lasers in my teen years.

I also travel a few times a year with the family.
This year has been Thailand and Cambodia.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 pm
I play lots of hockey, studying for school, airsoft, making money, and watching the stock market. Mostly hockey though

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm
well besides gaming im a dad if kids count as a hobbie haha ,big time paintballer,was snowboarding since i was 14 altho 2 knee surguries and a bad back has put that on hold the last 2 seasons,i play guitar and a lil bass , play drums for my band Dead Against It.(we start recording as soon as our bass player gets his new cab woowhoo) thats about all i got time for right now haha

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 pm
Im into shooting photos of skateboarders. Hanging out with my wife and kids. Shooting photos of the Southern Nevada desert. Wrestling with my oldest boy. Drawing wierd abstract things. Shooting the neighborhood kids with my airsoft pistol. Mowing my lawn with a weed wacker........oh and I like to drown worms too!! good times!

PEOPLE FEAR.........what they dont understand.
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:09 pm
Hunting, fishing and golf[although my golfing has been severly limited for the last 8 months].  Aviation was at one time both an advocation and hobby. I was a professional pilot for 20 years, a flight instsructor, basic and advanced ground instructor, and an A&P mechinic, with IA[Inspection Authorization]. I held an ATP flight certifidate with Multi-engine,SE seaplane,and Helicopter ratings. Alas, I was diagnosed with diabetes and later underwent a triple-bypass, so my first love was brought to a tragic end after 14000+ hours. Might not have been altogether a bad thing, as I have had countless friends who are no longer here due to aviation accidents. But I still miss it !

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:23 pm
Been playing Hockey since I was 8 and now coach and play also ... I build and repair PC's as a hobby that makes me a little money.... Cars are my big investment and have been since I could drive, I never own a car I don't end up painting or rebuilding or customizing (1972 Plymouth Duster ProStreet is the current project along with my 2007 Dodge Charger R/T that I drag race a few times a month)
Paintball was a very expensive past time for me and I don't play so much anymore ... snowmobiling, Icefishing and Camping are my outdoor activities.

Summertime is very busy for me with lots of family and lake activities. Starting to travel a bit more to see the rest of this world ... just seems to limit my play time at the computer ... lol

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:45 am
Making animations through Flash and break dancing Smile

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 am
hunting shooting and reloading and tweaking my own ammo....sleeping eating and umm did i mention sleeping..lol.....also chasing my daughter around when i can keep up

ONCE A MARINE..... ALWAYS A MARINE!!!!
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 am
Computers, of course. Gaming, toying with, building, trouble-shooting, etc. Yes, I actually enjoy pulling my hair while trying to figure out errors.

I have about 8 rifles or so that I enjoy going target shooting with. I also love to go camping and fishing. REAL camping, with tents and such. No power, bring in water, cellphone off. Though I haven't done any of those activities in a while :(

Since i lack an imagination, I can't stomach reading fiction. But whenever i have spare time, am indoors, with no computer, I love to go through Scientific American and National Geographic magazines. I also use to have  Popular Science subscription, but I found it far too simplified.

I never watch television, but i do watch television shows. Mostly HBO/Showtime series, and I have about 300 documentaries on my HTPC.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:03 am
golf and working at the golf club. I enjoy building pcs but only able to if and when I ever have any money, like all of us!

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 am
Big fan of American football and ice hockey. Wanting to start one of the two this year, probably football.

Started playing at university last year as a DB but took a hard fall on my knee, kept me out for 2 months or so, not sure what I did to it. By the time I'd recovered the team were in the full swing of things so i left it.

Found a place outside of university though that I'm considering joining so it should be fun and will keep me fit! Very Happy

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:51 am
I build plastic models during the winter times, rest of the year I am either going 4 wheeling, car shows and riding my Harley anywhere i can.When I have money I have been building a street rod version of a 1950 Pontiac Chieftan. My latest interest if I can find the right frame is lawn tractor pulling compation. This incase no one knows is when you hook up to a weighted sled and see how far down a measured dirt track one can pull.It is a fairly cheap form of motor sport where all you need is a plain old lawn tractor in stock form, I intend to go open class and either put a motorcycle  engine or a small car motor in the same  tractor frame.