Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

BF3 will require Origin regardless of how you buy it.

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:48 pm
Gamers out there that hate anything new or shake their cane at the sun for being too hot are not reacting well to the news that Battlefield 3 will run through Origin on the PC — even when installed from a retail DVD.

The news was confirmed by DICE Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros on Twitter.

“What about the rumors spreading on the forums that we need origin to play BF3 if we have the DVD? D:” a user asked, to which Matros replied “Yes those ‘rumors’ are true Smile

Read more here: http://blog.machinima.com/insidegaming/2011/08/12/battlefield-3-pc-to-require-origin-regardless-of-format/

So at this point I say just buy it on Origin.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Last edited by Luke on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:15 pm
I have a really nice cane

Thanks for the info Luke

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:13 pm
I'll cancel my amazon order if I can get the Physical Warfare and Map packs in the UK - by all accounts, I may have to upgrade my machine as well ;-(

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:09 pm
This is nothing new...I buy retail games all the time and have to have steam to play...what's the differenvce?  Having the disc is much better...faster installs, no download waiting time Smile

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:53 am
Well now that I know that, I might as well just go ahead and cancel my BestBuy.Ca preorder. I would have prefered to order it through Origin if we are required to have the client running while playing the game. That way I can keep all the probable expansion packs and DLC together and up to date with the main game. The other good thing is that when there are updates to the game, it will be like STEAM where it just auto updates instead of you having to go and visit a site and download a installer and run the installer in order to update the game. Much nicer through a game client in my view.

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:20 am
Having the retail disc maybe faster to install for the first time you install the game but imo in the long run it is slower and less secure.

I buy almost all my games through D2D and once I DL the game I backup the download install files to my iPod and a separate HD partition.

This way I can reinstall the game within minutes if something happens to my SSD. If say for example I would lose everything in a fire I can still have access to my games and install keys via D2D.

I use to play an older turn based game, can't remember the name, and wish I had purchased it online since I have lost one of the install discs.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln
Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:40 pm

MisterMadd wrote (View Post):

Having the retail disc maybe faster to install for the first time you install the game but imo in the long run it is slower and less secure.

I buy almost all my games through D2D and once I DL the game I backup the download install files to my iPod and a separate HD partition.

This way I can reinstall the game within minutes if something happens to my SSD. If say for example I would lose everything in a fire I can still have access to my games and install keys via D2D.

I use to play an older turn based game, can't remember the name, and wish I had purchased it online since I have lost one of the install discs.

But because the game will require origin, you should be able to activate the physical copy online and have access to download it through your origin account just like steam. And that way, if your origin account gets hacked, you always have the disc and cd key to back up your story that the account was yours in the first place.

However, I'm still with you on this one. Physical copies have become a bother to me. I hate having a bunch of discs laying around that I have to keep track of.

___________Fireteam Zulu | Graphics Team Leader | SFC____________

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:16 pm
Well IF my physical copy gets me a digital version as well that will reside on ORIGIN, then I will just wait for my retail version. This is starting to be a little bit of a bother now. Are you sure that you get rights to have a digital version of the game on Origin with a retail (disc) version or the game. I now have decided to try to bundle the whole game on Origin seeing as how I just found out yesterday that now it will have to run in system tray during game play no matter what. If I can indeed have a digital version, then I might as well just leave my pre order a go with BestBuy and wait for them to send it to me.
A day or two wait won't bother me much as I have a ton of other games to play. I just want to make sure we get digital version with retail copy though ... Anyone? Anyone have a for sure answer to this  Question

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:13 pm

MisterMadd wrote (View Post):

Less secure?  Is someone gonna break into my DVD?  I didn't realize it was more secure storing info on the internet!!!!!
No it is not slower either...if you have the install files already on file...it would be like installing from a disc...It is not faster, it only depends on your computers speed, an install is an install no matter how you look at it!

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:48 am
Having the files available for download  and key stored online is more secure than just having the info in a box in case of fire, theft, data lose, etc.

Once a game is linked to your origin/ea account it can no longer be activated through another account so someone hacking or stealing your account only results in temporary misfortune until you reset the account password through email or whatever way is required, so storing game info online is secure.  Even if you purchase the game through an online DL store you can backup the install files to a DVD and write the key on the disc and not only have the info online but also on a physical copy just as you would if you purchased from a physical store.

Having the games install files on a separate partition or usb does allow the user to install the game faster.  Have you ever installed windows from a DVD compared to usb?  Their is a reason why tutorials explain how to do this because installing software this way IS FASTER.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:47 pm
All it is is trading one Cloud master for another.  Clouds are the way of the future...........Its like a handkerchief, everyone needs one, some are disposable, some are not......One thing is clear, at some point they are going to get snotty.   Wink  

I will do my pre-order next week.  Looking forward to getting killed on a different battlefield.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:59 pm
I guess it's ok, but I really don't like the idea of having another Download Manager sitting in my tray eating resources.
I like 2 be GOD of my PC and control EVERYTHING that's going on with it!
But what can u say, if u wanna play?
l8r.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 pm

HeHawKilLer wrote (View Post):

This is nothing new...I buy retail games all the time and have to have steam to play...what's the differenvce?  Having the disc is much better...faster installs, no download waiting time Smile

Except DLC but I am like you Hehaw i prefer to install from disc. Love or hate steam origin it seems to be the wave