Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

BF3: oh, how i hate EA bean counters..

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 am
...let me count the ways

So, the pencil pushers at EA have decided that the Web based Battlelog service is so superior that they have completely removed the Server Browser from the PC version of Battlefield 3.  So if you want to change servers, you will need to leave game, log on to the website, and select the new server that you want to log on to, which presumable will restart the game.  EA has said that this is as painless as a server browser in-game, because BF3 "starts up really fast" ...which has put me completely at ease  Laughing

Presumably (and this is all speculation on my part), there will still be a quick connect in game, which loads you into a random server, but as for finding our own server... time will tell.

On the plus side, server browsers in EA games for as long as i can remember have been utter garbage, and completely un-usable until around patch 1.4, so maybe this is actually a step forward, just one that also happens to move us PC gamers out of our squishy, stale pizza littered, soda-soaked comfort zones.

here are the links to the articles:
Escapist: Battlefield 3 news
BF3 Blog: Battlelog

SSG.Braxis*BK*

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:45 pm
oh boy...

this just in from the news front.  Someone (who i suspect had FAR too much time on their hands) worked their way through the whole ToS (Terms of Service contract) and they discovered something interesting.

here's the section in its entirety:
{You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.}

Basically, it gives EA free license to do whatever they want with any data on your computer (even stuff unrelated to games, like web searches your wife shouldn't know about), as ling as it does not violate EA's Privacy policy.  Granted, Steam already does this in a more limited way, to market you the games they think you will most like (amazon, newegg and google do similar things).

I expect that EA MEANS something similar to this, and they will purely be using it to improve marketing and service standards, but I can't help thinking that its some big brother looking over my shoulder...

basically this --->

SSG.Braxis*BK*

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 pm
COD dose the same thing its one of the ways we control the servers with the IP and the unique identifier GUID. That way if you change your IP you can't just get back in like you could in the past.

GOA.Luke*BK*

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 pm
well, yes, but Origin is WAAAAAYYYY more all-encompassing and far-reaching.  the ToS allows them to track what websites you go to when you are not playing, what peripheral hardware you are using (mouse, keyboard, mic, monitor, etc)...

I'm not saying they will, but the potential is there to really exploit users and cram a bunch of spam ads for other games and services down our throats, without much recourse on the part of the users.

I'm not complaining, as i said, Steam already does some of these things.  Just posting in the interest if full disclosure for all.

SSG.Braxis*BK*

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:32 pm
Have you read steams and CODs TOS? They allow you to do the same. If they can not see what mouse, keyboard, mic, monitor how can the default set up the game for it?