Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

BK BOOK CLUB

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:27 pm
One you might enjoy :
Philip Caputo, "A Rumour Of War".

Currently re-reading "Diaries Of Thomas Covenant" by Stephen Donaldson.
For those who have enjoyed "Covenant", I'd also recommend Julian May's "Saga Of The Exiles".

I also like Stephen King, Clive Cussler, and the older Wilbur Smith books when I need undemanding entertainment.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:50 pm
I tend to run more in author camps then specific books, so here are some of my faves:

Carl Hiaasen - Writes for the Miami Herald, native Floridian, writes great books generally have some developer ending up in a bad way.  One interesting aspect is the main characters are always different, but the supporting characters make frequent appearances.   Good fun reads.  Wrote kids book Hoot which was made into a movie.

John D. MacDonald - Good old school good guy/bad guy books.  Generally set in South Florida.  Louis Lamore set in Florida.

Randy Wayne White - Doc Ford novels also set in South Florida's West Coast (Sanibel area).  Doc is an ex spook turned into a marine biologist who finds himself constantly needing to use his old skills to help out folks in need.  Good books to read in order for character development.

Moving out of Florida....

Jim Butcher's series about the wizard Harry Dresden based in Chicago.  Great books.  

Robert Crais' Elvis Cole novels.

All good lightweight reads.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:18 pm
For all of the readers out there, I have now owned my Kindle for a little over a week and I can't say enough about how wonderful it is. It makes being a book hound easier, not only because the reading surface is amazingly clear, but because it is so much cheaper. I am paying an average of 9 dollars a book, but have been able to download dozens of classic novels for free (anything public domain). I have also saved tons of money on my newspaper subscription ($13 a month for NY times), as well as getting PC magazine, the New Yorker etc delivered at substantial savings. All of this gets transferred to my kindle quickly and I am never waiting for an update.

The unit is fantastic.

Thanks

Bernard

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:09 pm
THE ONLY TWO BOOKS THAT I REMEMBER READING WERE IN HIGH SCHOOL AND THEY WERE " GUNS OF NAVARONE" AND " Cheaper by The Dozen".  I AM LIKE MR. T, READING GIVES ME A SEVERE HEADACHE. P.S. I DO WEAR GLASSES!

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:09 pm
I am just about to finish a book by Michael Crichton called Pirate Latitudes...it is a weak book, a fun, easy read but not worth more than a visit to the library.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:38 pm
Mr T / Winemaker..

I also was not a reader until I tried the Kindle reading device from Amazon.

My eye strain and headaches are a thing of the past as it allows me to select the font size.  The unit is also designed to reduce eye strain.

I  never read much but in the last year and a half I have read about 30 books.

Hurricane/George

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:14 pm
Hey Winemakr - I also have read The Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare and Force 10 From Navarone. All good books from Alistair McLean.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:35 pm
Here's another book I have read about a US Vietnam War hero - Lt Col. John Paul Vann.

Title: A Bright Shining Lie
Author:Neil Sheehan
Published 1989 Jonathan Cape Ltd - London.
Brief Review: The story is written by the journalist-author Neil Sheehan about Vann who went to Vietnam as a military advisor at Age 37 in 1962. He died there in 1972 and was to be given the Congressional Medal of Honour but as he was techinically a "Civilian Advisor" , the law prevented him from receiving it.  Nixon awarded him the 2nd highest honour - the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The book is a hard read but well worth it. It does at times take a cynical view of the war but in reading the book you may also.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:34 am
Thought I'd bump this up. I'm reading a story of Australia's first Commando campaign in Timor 1942. It's titled "The Men Who Cam Out Of The Ground" by Paul Cleary. It's the true story of 2/2 Australian Independant Company codenamed Sparrow Force. They developed bush skills and became experts in guerilla warfare. By harassing the Japanese through skirmishes, ambushes tec, they ended up tying down thousands of Japanese and beating them. One of the defining moments in Aussie miltary history.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 pm
Well I have always been an avid reader and my collection is vast and big but I will throw out some of the main stuff. I am a Sherlock Holmes guru; I only read his mysteries or ones about characters from the canon. I have more than 100-200 books about him. My next 2 biggest collections are the DragonLance series (have all up to the last big trilogy) and the Star Wars saga (have all of those with exception of some of the clone war novels). I read all of the Clancy Jack Ryan novels and Stephen Coonts Jake Grafton novels. One of my favorite small collections is by Mike and Jeff Sharaa. For those of you who dont know who they are, Mike wrote Killer Angels which became the movie Gettysburg and then his son finished the trilogy after his fathers death. Jeff also wrote similar books covering the American Revolution, Spanish/American War, WWI and WWII. If you really like historical novels and the style of the Gettysburg story, you will love his other novels.

"Do or do not there is no try!"
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 pm
Oh boy... where to start...?

Clancy is awesome (tho he has been mentioned already), favorite book of his is "Without Remorse"  

Favorite would have to be Clive Cussler, his main series is amazing, and most of the spin off series are very good too. My favorite series is "the Oregon Files". Basically its about a modern day cargo ship that is in secret a mobile base for a mercenary group. They do a variety of jobs for the CIA and others that take them all over the world and into all sorts of mischief. Great series if you want fun fast action and intrigue.

Then there's R.A. Salvatore who writes fantasy and science fiction. And Joel Shepherd, and Chris Wooding...(for all of you who like the tv series "Firefly", check out Chris Wooding "retribution falls", you won't be disappointed)