Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post

Did you Root your Droid?

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 pm
Ok, this isn't for your normal computer tech issues, this is for people with Android Phones. Rooting is what Jailbreaking is for iPhones. However, I was just wondering if any of you have done this?

What are the Pro's and Con's if any.

I am new to the Droid experience (which I love by the way!!)

I know it allows you to remove bloatware...

some one please explain..

If you can't take the pain, maybe you shouldn't play!
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 pm
I rooted an Orange 'San Francisco' (ZTE Blade) to remove the network provider frills. It allows easy loading of other flavours of the base system - some better some worse.
I also rooted a Viewsonic Viewpad 10.
The main advantage is access to all the application markets though the quality is hit and miss. I'm still experimenting to find an app that will give me RDP through my company firewalls to remotely control servers, routers and switches.

The process is relatively straightforward. Some models have detailed instructions. Just make sure that before you start you have a means of recovering it to it's pristine out-of-box state -I don't worry about the warranty if it's cheap enough.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:45 pm
I have a rooted Droid 2.  I'm running CyanogenMod7 on it.

With the right phone you can find a large community for rooting, custom roms, trouble shooting, you name it.  The thing is though, a lot of the time rooting your phone instantly voids your warranty.  So if you have no way to get it back to it's stock state you're cheesed.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:46 pm
I have an Evo 4g.  As far as i know, there is currently no root method available.  One that was popular was called UnrEVOked.  

As far as rooting is concerned, if you are somewhat competent at reading, researching and using a PC it really should NOT be hard.  It also depends why you want to root it.  If you want to remove the bloatware the provider added(i have Sprint Nascar and Blockbuster....yuk Smile.)  then rooting is what you need.  If you want to change the "OS" or get a a newer version of Android without waiting, rooting is what you need.  If you want any sort of noticeable difference in performance, a new phone is needed. LOL.

Also USUALLY there is a way to get S-ON in case you ever need to send it in for insurance claim.

http://www.xda-developers.com/  ==  This site is the one stop, everything you need to know site for smartphone development, tweaking and hacking.  Happy rooting :)

Also, there is a CHANCE that you will brick your phone.  Every rooting guide will have a disclaimer, but dont let it deter you.  Peopl even have developed programs to unbrick some phones.  Just make sure you follow ALL the directions.  If you arent sure of a step, make an accoutn and post on there.  Google is as always one of the best tools you can have when entering unfamiliar territory.

What phone?

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:23 am
hawk,
Here is a good site to read up about rooting, I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy II

http://www.inspiredgeek.com/

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Sheepdawg wrote (View Post):

I have an Evo 4g.  As far as i know, there is currently no root method available.  One that was popular was called UnrEVOked.  

As far as rooting is concerned, if you are somewhat competent at reading, researching and using a PC it really should NOT be hard.  It also depends why you want to root it.  If you want to remove the bloatware the provider added(i have Sprint Nascar and Blockbuster....yuk Smile.)  then rooting is what you need.  If you want to change the "OS" or get a a newer version of Android without waiting, rooting is what you need.  If you want any sort of noticeable difference in performance, a new phone is needed. LOL.

Also USUALLY there is a way to get S-ON in case you ever need to send it in for insurance claim.

http://www.xda-developers.com/  ==  This site is the one stop, everything you need to know site for smartphone development, tweaking and hacking.  Happy rooting :)

Also, there is a CHANCE that you will brick your phone.  Every rooting guide will have a disclaimer, but dont let it deter you.  Peopl even have developed programs to unbrick some phones.  Just make sure you follow ALL the directions.  If you arent sure of a step, make an accoutn and post on there.  Google is as always one of the best tools you can have when entering unfamiliar territory.

What phone?

I should also point out, once rooted, any time you are making any changes you should be using Clockwork Recovery to backup your phone.  I do this with every update to CM7.  I just keep all past updates on my computer and the most recent update on the phone in case of a problem.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:45 pm

tet wrote (View Post):

I have a rooted Droid 2.  I'm running CyanogenMod7 on it.

With the right phone you can find a large community for rooting, custom roms, trouble shooting, you name it.  The thing is though, a lot of the time rooting your phone instantly voids your warranty.  So if you have no way to get it back to it's stock state you're cheesed.

From what I read so far, I can reverse the method back to normal, and they can't even tell it was rooted, which I find hard to believe...there's always a trace of something left somewhere...lol

Also, I have read too, that Titanium backup is good too...and I have been on that xda forum as well...looking into the inspired geek one too....I was just getting some ideas and feedback on people I know, that have done it...

I am using the Samsung Galaxy S2 now..for T-Mobile....I love this thing!!!!

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:30 pm
XDA is def the site to go for all this MOD/Root related. There are additional forums as well that provide a great deal of info. Primary reason for Rooting is to unlock you Android software that was tweak a bit so it would work with the phone/tablet makers equipment. Hence rooting voids the warranty but Rooting in itself is completely legal. Mods are great and the amount of software out there that does not show up on the market will blow your mind. I have a rooted Droid first gen,  Asus transformer tablet, and  Nook color (wife). Each one running a diff mod and diff software. I am also learning to write java so I can program in android as well. I have Froyo, Gingerbread, and Honeycomb rooted with no issues. Can't wait for IC Sandwich. Well, I hope that helps.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:44 am
I did it 30 mins after it was out of the box. There goes $600 lol who needs a warranty when you have complete control.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:58 am
In all actuality tho, Android has started to ship phone to carriers with S-Off.  They are basically sayign we love the community and lets go ahead and let people use whatever flavor of Android they want.  Google androud S-off, you'll see what im talking about.  Android > Apple. Twisted Evil

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:00 am
I rooted my Viewsonic G-Tablet, check out the Bishop of Technology, good step be step intsructions.

Bishop of Technology

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Wow! Thanks all who posted here...I will have to think about this, but it is something I am defiantly looking into.. I'm glad I posted this, I see there is a lot of good info here...!!!