MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

3D Gaming and Battlefield 3

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:24 pm
3D.

I have to admit it's something I both love and hate with a passion..

I think that 3D gaming, movies and the general 3D experience can be awesome.. but up until recently the equipment was expensive, the output was dark/poor in my opinion and I hate having to wear the glasses..  I certainly hate the anaglyphic glasses (the red/blue lenses) because I'm a partial dichromat (colorblind) and they don't work well for me..  (Why is dichromat never in a computers dictionary, nor is anaglyphic.. sheesh..)

The normal 3D flicker glasses that nVidia uses work well, but one of the issues I always had was that it made everything "darker".. an optical illusion brought about by the flashing/flickering of the glasses as I understand it..   I think that darkness combined with the rather small glasses (the narrow window) and the cost of 120hz monitors was enough to never make me want to get into it..

Well recently nVidia has fixed the "dark" problem by creating a light boost profile for the 3D vision 2 hardware that pretty much makes the dark thing go away through the use of the extremely high contrast ratios of modern monitors..  Plus the new 3D glasses they are releasing are actually 20% larger, and 120hz monitor prices are now well wtihin reason..

So with that, coupled with actually trying 3D gaming a couple times at various booths at blizzcon over the years and liking what I saw,  I think I have decided to go 3D with Battlefield 3 to see if its worth all the hype..  B3 is supposed to be 100% nVidia 3D vision compliant after all, and I know I'm going to put a lot of time into the game so I figured I might as well play the game in such a way as to make it the most enjoyable..

I have trolled around on the various 3D fanboi pages and all of them seem to say I should wait for this;  
http://promos.asus.com/us/VG278H/#.TqRhdt6Xtpx  as opposed to getting any other equipment..  

This is quite an investment all things considered.. I think that monitor package I linked will cost around $700 or so, but I recently got a bonus that will cover it nicely so I figured what the heck..   There are monitors that are a lot less expensive, but this one is the first one that is exactly the stats of my current monitor, and 120hz.  (I already play on a 27" monitor and once you go that size its hard to go back.. )

My wife likes this idea cause she has it in her head that she'll get my old 27" monitor.. *grumble*  and in the name of household happiness she's right.. haha

So with that, does anyone else here play in 3D?  
What kinds of pitfalls and foibles should I consider or be looking out for?
Do you regret going 3D? etc..

Thoughts?