Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

BF 3: Installation Issues

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:26 pm
Anyone ever have installation issues with BF3? I spent the last couple of hours trying to install and it still won't let me play.

I hate Origin and want to shoot my computer.
Furley

"Hey....you dropped your leg."
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 pm
I had to download and install it twice before I was able to play (hooray for fast internet). After first failure and a "Repair" in Origin, I Uninstalled Origin, Battlefield Web Plugin, and Battlefield 3 itself, and deleted any remaining folders. Then i reinstalled from scratch and all is well. er.. as well as nyone else, anyway. I've only had a couple of game crashes, and about 10% of servers connects fail.

You're not alone in your hatred of Origin. it's like they never used Steam before.

EDIT: Yes, and we Wes said, be sure run Origin and BF3 as Administrator.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --

Last edited by Abram on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 am
Thanks, CHUD. I'm taking your advice. Hopefully I'll be on in a couple of days...

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 am
How'd it go MrFurley? I haven't seen you in game yet this week. I set my compatability mode to Vista sp2 and checked the run as administrator in the priviledge level. I had serious problems before I did those things.
Also, if you have registry mechanic and/or tune-up utilities or some other registry cleaner tool, I'd run those to help clean-up what's left before reinstalling.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:53 pm
Hey Mr Furley,

Have you checked to see if you have the recommended hardware for the game. go to this site,

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

If it says you meet the requiremnets you should be able to install and run the game but you it is not always accurrate. it is a starting point.

I have only 1/4 of the recommended hardware but I am above the Minimum requirements. I can play the game but have a few crashes because my proc gets a little over work.

Jump in TS someone  here can help you out.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:53 pm
Hey Wesley and Karow
Good to hear from you guys and thanks for the help.

I started out simple and followed up on Karow's suggestion before I wen ahead and changed anything. I did the system requirement test and failed. Here is the info

Minimum requirements:
It says I need at the minimum to update the video card
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/analysis.aspx?name=Battlefield-3&id=11211&session=bb340531-89e7-43a9-844c-85dbd6dc4f73

It then links me to tiger direct to where I can purchase one
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=28&SRCCODE=SRL&CMP-BAC=SRL

I am a bit computer illiterate and was hoping that someone could suggest a modestly price video card to purchase. If you guys have any suggestions I would appreciate if you could send them my way.
Thanks in advance!
Furley

P.S. It also "recommends" that I should upgrade from vista to Windows 7. I plan to do this in the future but if I can make do with Vista for a bit that would be great.

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:03 pm
All depends on your budget. THough a 560 ti will do just fine. AMD equivilant would be a 6950. THough with sales. With all teh sales, this is a good time to  buy hardware. I just bought a second 6950 for 35% off.

As for OS, Windows 7 is certainly better at handling resources and will give better performance than Fista, though not by a huge margin. If you wish, I can give you the address fo whre i bought 3 of my 4 Win7 x64 keys, for about 20 bucks a piece. Almsot two years on, adn they all still pass all validations, so they are legit.

PCs are such a great racket, hm?

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:57 am
Hey Chud,
Thanks for the info and your help.

I bit the bullet and bought a new video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550ti.

So far, so good. Despite having to reinstall it a couple of times (the fan was making a sound) I was finally able to log on and play BF3.

Thanks for the offer on Windows 7, as well. I get a student discount through my university and plan to purchase that in a month or so...after I get some new shocks for my car.... Mad
Best,
Furley

Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:48 pm
Neat. there are some programs that let you create custom fanspeed curves (dynamic temp:fanspeed). By default my card sounds like a jet when I start BF3 because the idle fan speed is so low, it gets hot quickly. I use MSI Afterburner, and it's served em well. No, you do not need an MSI card. It also monitors temp/VRAM/Load/Clocks, has a FPS overlay, and can record videos and take screenshots..

Hope to see you on the battlefield soon.

Be sure to check out the BF3 Name thread and add some folks, like CHUDD-BK-. Also looks like "MrFurley-BK-" is available.