Mon May 06, 2024 12:30 am
Luke View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post

MAV question.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 am
I was discussing this with some of the guys last night and would like more peoples opinion about it. My question is, since we do not allow riding a MAV on our servers, what is the difference between riding a MAV to an elevated position and bailing out of a helo to an elevated position? I play as recon only and never use vehicles. I still see people in high up places that they have reached by air. It just seems a little hypocritical to ban one mode of transport but not another. I don't feel that being able to access high ground is that big of an advantage since once you're up there there is no place to run or hide. Any good tank gunner or helo pilot will pick you off with ease and I have even counter sniped  several people from ground level when they thought they had a height advantage. No matter what the consensus is I will follow all rules just like always, but more opinions on the subject would be great.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 am
Well in my opinion, helo's arent on every map, the MAV is. The MAV is not ment transport as not everyone knows how to do this without dying a bunch and in real life your not going to fly on a unmanned drone or UAV. MAV is ment for surveillance and can be used to kill only.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 am
Helocoptors are used every day to extract and insert troops into the field of battle. sometimes they fast rope, the helo lands, they parachute from high above, and least but not last they provide protection for those troops inserted. Our UNMANNED vehicles are just that unmanned. They are not designed for troop movement.

The developers I believe designed the MAV as a futuristic type of recon drone not an elevator. It is an exploit. If the MAV did not have spinning blades at the top and bottom and then maybe.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:47 am
Yup. I see it as an exploit, and have given warnings for folks using it, as people use it to get to otherwise-unreachable areas. I actually thought they fixed in with the second patch.. but i guess not.

And they still haven't made it so Crouch Toggle will lower it. still have to use Crouch Hold key.

The MAV is DICEs' version of the  .T-Hawk Micro Air Vehicle, an actual craft. But I really doubt it'd lift more than a few kilos, beyond its payload of spy goodies

In case no one else is aware, it can lock onto and destroy equipment like claymores, SOFLAMS, and spawn beacons. Ot also does great damage when a chopper or jet rams it. And it survives

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --

Last edited by Abram on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:56 am
Thanks for the input guys. You all have made excellent and very valid points, unfortunately I will still have to shoot you all in the head or run you over with my MAV.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:40 am
I agree with the current rule for a very simple reason. The MAV is not meant to be vehicle to mover around on, its for spotting and making kills. The helo is a vehicle and in of itself could be come a sniping platform from high above. Now it is unlikely because of the movement (erratic flying of most pilots) but it is possible. So jumping or landing on a building to shoot from is not inappropriate in the context of the game. Also as mentioned previously, the helo is not on every map and on the maps were the MAV is used to gain elevation to snipe from there are usually glitches to prevent people from below to take them out; the most obvious example is the overpass in Tehran Highway. So using a machine for something it is not intended to do to gain an advantage over other players in the game is a glitch by definition and is rightfully illegal. Steps offf soapbox.

"Do or do not there is no try!"