Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:43 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 am
Snap71 View latest post

looking for new router

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:20 pm
I had a Linksys, then my wife bought me a D-Link Gaming Router. Back then it cost about a C-note. Now, that it has been 2 or 3 years, I am not sure what they cost. But it was and still is a great router. Allows you to prioritize the incoming signal, so that you can pull all the band width or as little as you desire. Good if you have two or more computers on the same line.
I know that D-link has newer models now. Just do not know about costs. Check them out though. I have had a few folks tell me that they had nothing but problems with it. I for one never had any issues at all. Worked perfect right out of the box.

Vrai A La Fin

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 am
35 bucks for a dir-655 is an awesoe price. There are two versions; rev. A and Rev B.Not sure what teh differencesare, but Iv'e used  both and I didn't notice a difference. I've had my rev. A for about 4 years and I stil llvoe it, adn prefer it over later models like the DIKR-825 It does not support 5.0ghz wireless, but I've found it only better than 2.5ghz for line-of-sight. the 2.5ghz still penetrates walls much better.

It'll suport many computers. it has 4 wired 1-gigabit ports on it. IF you need mroeyou coudl alwyas conenct elss-important cpomptuers to a swiotch or a cheapo router adn connect it to the 655.

Yes, its good for gaming. I usually run 4 computers in my place and 3 of them are almost always transferring files with Utorrent or streaming 720p media files, and it never interrupts my gaming, asn stoppign all thsoe transfers deosnt; sem to affect my ping or latency. Buty then, i do usde the traffic shaping feature.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:57 am
If you are going for Wireless / Wired combo - make sure that the router can be set to prioritize the hard wired packets or you will still suffer from the "kids"....

Also - make sure that everyone in the house has wireless N capability or you will be better off sticking with G as the router will often times slow N transmissions down to G levels for compatibility issues.

IMO D-link systems are the best of the low cost crowd, and CISCO / Linksys of the high cost crowd.  Netgear makes a few good ones but mostly suck at supporting them, so be careful and check your reviews before purchasing.

The one I am considering for my home upgrade is this DLink DIR-655 router.  It has removable antennas that can be replaced with "high gain" antennas for more range as needed.

The other choice I am entertaining is this Dlink DIR-645 as it would seem to offer more options and add in "green" technology to the mix.

If you prefer Linksys it is now owned / controlled by CISCO and choose carefully.

There is no problem too large for a suitable application of high explosives... and of course the required cup of coffee!
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 pm
I got the DLINK DGL-4500 gamefuel router and it i'm loving it! best router i got so far..higly recommend almost the same as the DIR-855.