Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:51 am
Luke View latest post
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:42 pm
Natb1 View latest post
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm
Luke View latest post

NEED HELP after RAID Configuration!

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm
Ok, I've installed my SSD drives in a RAID 0....My external Western Digital 1TB HD won't get recognised in windows now..no matter what I do...It is almost full, so reformating that is out of the question till I get another one to transfer all data to it...I'm acutally thinking of getting rid of it and getting a bigger one...lol

Here is what I did so far...

Configured RAID in BIOS
Configured RAID in the RAID Bios
Installed Windows OS
Installed Chipset drivers
Installed Intel RAID Drivers.

That's it....

If you can't take the pain, maybe you shouldn't play!
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:29 pm
I have a 300GB intel SSD and I just got another one.  I was thinking about running Raid 1 just to keep the back up, but thinking about having to set it all up it making my head hurt so I have that SSD just sitting on my desk not doing anything but being a paper weight.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:41 pm
Ohh...

I don't think it was too difficult to set it up...but I had not much of any guide lines to go on, (ted).....was waiting for some input from a freind (ted) but he is MIA.....I have emailed "Ted-support" but no replies...lol

I just messing with TED....

I hope I can figure this part out....not sure why it's doing it...I see all my other internal HDD's without any issues...I haven't begun to install any of my other USB devices yet....

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:45 pm
Have you checked in the device manager to see if it is showing up there?

It should show up in device manager as a portable device.

Just in case:

To get to device manager in Windows Vista/7 right click Computer then click Manage.
For Windows XP right click My Computer then click Device Manager.

If it shows up there post back here before doing anything else.

**EDIT**: I have the fix now assuming it shows up in the device manager for you. It is easier to explain in TS than typing it out. If you have TS installed, I am on now to help. If not I will type it out here and try to make it understandable.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm
Yes, trygar...It shows up there...but I can't do anything..keeps saying to eiter refresh or close and/or restart....did all that...

I have to go to work now, and TS isn't installed yet....I'll check this post later tonight or tomorrow...I appreciate your help!

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:16 pm
Under 'Device Manager' is the heading 'Storage' which should have the subheading 'Disk Management'. Click on that. After a few seconds the window should open showing all of your drives, the drive letters, layout, type, file system and status. There should be a drive listed with no drive letter. This should be you external drive. If you right click on it, you should have the option to add/change the drive letter. Give it a drive letter. It doesn't matter what, as long as the letter isn't being used by any other drive, including your CD/DVD/BRD.

The missing drive letter is the reason you were unable to access the drive. I also read on the internet that it may be a re-occuring problem, so you will probably have to do this again if it isn't a drive you leave connected.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:00 am

Silent_Wolf wrote (View Post):

I have a 300GB intel SSD and I just got another one.  I was thinking about running Raid 1 just to keep the back up, but thinking about having to set it all up it making my head hurt so I have that SSD just sitting on my desk not doing anything but being a paper weight.

Silent Wolf
In todays electronic age no need for a paper weight so let me help you out cleaning up your desk top send that paper wait my way.

Hawkeye is the external a USB or SATA?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:28 am
Hawkeye ,

What manufacture and model of motherboard do you have. So i can look at the PDF.

Sata ports can be set to be used in the Raid  and other can be set used IDE/SATA ports.

I am currently running a Raid-0 with two SSDs and a 500gb WD Green for storage and backups.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:48 am
Hawkeye,
You say an external WD drive? So is it using USB 1.0, 1.2 or 2.0 or later? If USB have you plugged it into a port that has sufficient power? I have a mini-USB device that requires a cable with 2 USB connectors just so that enough juice is supplied.
Don't know much about sata connections as I'm still on old technology ;-(

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 pm
What ARRGGHHH said... sata ports can be many things depending on the board and how its set up.  

You have intel so I'm not sure how all that works, what I have read intel doesn't have many issues.  However, I recieved my second ssd and some ports could be controlled by the AMD sata controller and some by the Marvell controller.  

The end result, from my experience and others who have the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 motherboard, is that the drivers don't play nice with ssd/raid.  So I was still in the 30 day window and sent that board back to Amazon.  

I thinks intel will be inside my rig before to long, less problems with drivers & controllers...

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:44 pm
I have an Asus Rampage II Extreme MOBO. I'm trying to hook up my 1TB HDD (Western Digital) USB external drive. I used to see it without any issues before. I also have not tried plugging in any other USB devices yet, but have plugged it into other Ports with no avail. It does see it in the"manage" when I right click on COMPUTER. But gives me an error when I try to change the drive letter or anything else. I'm sending this post via my Droid, at the moment. I'll go and trouble shoot more soon and post back. I well also check my BIOS for other settings a well.

Thanks for all the tips!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:36 pm
OK, I went into BIOS and poked around. Didn't find much. I did change a few things, but it didn't help. I still see the HDD in the MANAGE area of computer. (see attachment). But when I click on it to do something, I get this error message:

The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.

Unless, when it says not up-to-date, it means I haven't updated my PC yet with windows, which might make sense...but if not, I'm clueless... I will start  updating windows and see  what happens....worse case, I reformat again (sorry Ted, I said it again!) or the HDD is now a paperweight for me and I will have to send it to Karow...lol (or use it for my DVR)....hmmmmmm decision's....

Aslo, I am using Windows 7 x64

ATTACHMENT:

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:06 pm
Question - is the HDD attached before you boot windows or afterwards?
Try booting without, then attach the HDD.

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:38 pm
I did all that already...weird thing...After I went inot BIOS and changed a few things, rebooted and still nothing. I went back into BIOS and changed everything I changed, back to what it was. Rebooted and WOLA! (how ever you say it?) There it is..Problem Solved...Don't know why or What......But I do know, I definatly came to the right forum to post this...(actually didn't go anywhere else either.)

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, TRIALS, ERRORS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!!!

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:57 pm
Try removing the drive form the housing and plug it straight into the board.

The controller in the enclosure could be failing or the drive it self.

I had one like that a few months ago and had to send back for warranty replacement.