Snap71 View latest post
Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 am
Natb1 View latest post
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 pm
MaxwellSmart View latest post

Steaks anyone?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 am
Hello BK Members, Guest, and Family!

This is for all those people that know how to cook, know their foods, and how to prepare it! Of course, anyone else is always welcome to add in too!

So anyway, I plan to make my parents a steak dinner. Why? For the experience. And of course, something nice for them. No i have never cooked steak specifically before, but I do have cooking experience. Also I have never in my entire life gone shopping for food/ingredients by myself. With this in mind, i hope you guys can help me!

First, what kinds of steak (if any) are there for me to pick and which would be the best one for both taste and price. (YES IM PAYING THIS WITH MY OWN MONEY)
Second, what other things should I do to prep the steak? Ive asked some friends and they said to find seasoning or something to add to the steak prior to cooking it.
And lastly, how does one cook the steak? I mean it must be more then just place, wait, flip, wait, serve. (Also yes i know how to test for rare, med, and well done) :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Very Happy

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:13 am
Step 1) Buy Ribeye.
Step 2) Preheat barbecue grill.
Step 3) Season with pepper, maybe a little garlic.
Step 4) Pig out.

Portabello mushrooms grill up nicely as a side, or some baked potatoes with sour cream, bacon bits, and chopped black olive.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:32 am
I like where Tet is going, but I'm more of a New York Strip or a T-bone kind of guy.  If you are grilling...and a  good steak is ALWAYS grilled...keep the heat to medium, which is easier to do on a gas grill.  If you're using charcoal, let the coals gray over and the flame die down to where it's just above the coals.  Push the coals away from the center, making two piles; one on each side.  Cook the steaks in the center.  Either way you do it, season the steaks, throw them on and turn them every 5 minutes until they are done the way you like them.  I'm a medium kind of guy myself, so I take them off while they are a little bloodier than I like, because the steak continues to "cook" far a bit after you take them off the grill.  Good luck!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:43 am
And let the meat get to room temp before cooking it. If you only have an oven, searing them over very high heat on an oiled skillet, then slapping it in a 400f oven for 10 minutes or so does pretty well.  Don't peirce teh steak - use tongs or a spatula to flip. Pepper is the only dressing a use for cooking, sometiems toss on a bit of kosher salt with as they go on the heat.

Also suggest harassing the butcher for a choice cut. Even at a regular grocery store.

Mmm.. steak.

-- Of all the soles I've ever tasted, his had the most   ....cumin. --
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 am
Back when I was in college taking welding we would just weld up a box and setup some oxy acetylene torches.  Cooked in under 5 minutes!

Used to cut through 6" of steel...just imagine what it does to your steak.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 am
we need a BK cook book!!!  Don't we have one of those or no?

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:06 pm
@ Mistermadd;  Yes, we do have an international BK cookbook, the LINK IS HERE

also, Terry, yea oxy-acetylene is a great way of cooking steaks.  The company I work for also runs a shipyard, and we often help then out with the tugboats (which i crew on) moving things around.  Whenever there is a big job, the yard crews invite us over and repurpose the vacuum brazing furnace to temporary searing oven... heat it to 800, pop the steaks in, drop the air pressure down to 1.3 psi (atmospheric is ~14.7).  pop it out after 3 minutes.  

The pressure drop bursts most of the cells in the steak, leaving you with the tenderest, melt in your mouth steak you have ever had.  Only downside is you have to clean the furnace after... but being a shipyard, we have plenty of overpowered cleaning systems.

Just don't tell the boss...  Rolling Eyes
SSG.Braxis*BK*

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 pm
mmmm steak  Smile  Fillet steak is best then serloin then rump

dont forget when cooking the steak to know how your parents like it cooked rare med welldone. Depending on the thickness of the steak this is approx 2-3 min cooking time between each level.
most importantly if frying (a griddle pan is best along with a griddle press to stop curling), ensure the pan is HOT (should be starting to smoke) second DO NOT put oil in the pan put a light coating on both sides of the steak, a basting brush is good for this, then as tet suggested season with cracked black pepper & ground rock salt
cook on high heat for 2 min each side to seal the steak then reduce to med heat for the remainder turning frequently.   enjoy Smile

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:24 pm
Tet wrap the Portabello mushroom in bacon with some toothpicks, I even use some teriyaki sauce in the last few minutes of grilling.  Preheating the grill is VERY important.  I usually let it preheat for 10-15 minutes.  Once the steak is done remove from grill and let it set for 5 minutes.  Like Chud said do not pierce the steak.  I add any seasoning in the last 2 minutes of grilling, this way the seasoning does not run off with the juices.  I like a T-Bone or Porterhouse, they are the same thing Porterhouse is just a bigger cut.  Since your out on the grill do some baked potatoes.  This is how I cook the potatoes, poke holes in potatoes butter the outside of the potatoes double wrap in aluminum foil.  Grill time is about 40 minutes, flip every 10 minutes and cook the potatoes on top rack.  Good luck and have fun.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:56 pm
cant believe nobody has mentioned the FOREMAN Grill. cooks both sides at once. YIPPEEEEEE!

I am partial to TRI TIP slow cooked over mesquite charcoal with a melody of roasted bell peppers and onions with a home made chipotle dipping sauce!!

DUROOOOL DUROOOOL!!

I could give you the recipe for the dipping sauce, but then I'd have to kill you!

PEOPLE FEAR.........what they dont understand.
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:02 pm
Foreman grills, and even frying a steak in a pan, are on ly good for cheap pieces of meat like chuck.  Good meat needs to be grilled or at the very least broiled.